Has anybody seen the documentary 'good hair' by Chris Rock?

<p>^I agree. Do what makes you happy.</p>

<p>I think one reason natural hair is better is because it can be washed more often (not just every 6 weeks) and as a result will smell fresher(another confidence builder).
For those who exercise 3 to 5 days a week, isn’t the sweaty smell a problem with a perm?</p>

<p>In my opinion, relaxers are restrictive, as all the rules they impose (no sweating, no water on hair, etc.) hinder my lifestyle. I exercise daily and lift weights thrice a week. Having a relaxer seriously messed up my workout schedule. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>But relaxed hair can be washed on a weekly basis. Not washing your hair for 6 weeks is not advisable - no matter the hairstyle - as it would cause your hair to suffer stress from being unclean. Keeping your hair clean is an important component of any hair care regimen.</p>

<p>I had a relaxer since like 2nd grade, but I decided to stop getting them my freshman year. So now when I wash my hair on my own, I can wear it naturally. But I tend to just get it flat-ironed or somehow not natural when I’m at the beauty shop. I’ll probably end up getting a perm before or right when I start college b/c the humidity kills my press and I get angry. Living in AZ, I didn’t have the humidity issue.</p>

<p>As a guy I have no idea what all this means. Just saying. And I just like hair that looks nice for what its worth.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s like a cult, really. A cult worth billions of dollars of hair products.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And to you, what exactly is “hair that looks nice?” Because among the males I am acquainted with, it usually does not include what grows naturally from my head, regardless of how I style it.</p>

<p>Well i like it long. Doesn’t necessarily have to be super straight. A female friend of mine looks particularly attractive when her hair is curled up naturally. It’s like she’s mixed, but she’s part native american or something.</p>

<p>^ Lol. That means her hair texture and everything is probably completely different than that of some African-Americans.</p>

<p>

Well, then I see you’ve successfully crossed off every female who wears weave in its various permutations, has extensions in her hair, or has found another means to falsely elongate her hair. That’s about 90%. :)</p>

<p>Good luck gettin’ a woman with that kind of natural hair, bro.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, the hair of those with African heritage generally comes in a wide swath of varieties; it ranges from loose curls like those of Mouse121992’s friend to the smallest curls imaginable that comprise the more typical afro hairstyles. Yay for sulfide bonding!</p>

<p>

The very nature of African hair means that it is in extremely tight curls. Afros are one extreme; straight hair is another. Hair’s structure is in an alpha helix; those with African heritage have increased interaction between the various groups comprising the keratin protein to create disulfide bonds that create “kinks” in the alpha helices of hair strands. In short, every African-American you have encountered has hair that was is or was at one point “curled naturally.”</p>

<p>I seen it and I thought it was too funny. Glad am a natural again :)</p>

<p>I’m natural…until Thursday lol. I’m sorry but humidity kills my hair and it goes POOF! So I’m getting a relaxer for my own personal ease in life.</p>

<p>has anyone every checked out this website? it gives tons of GREAT advice for naturals, as well as those with relaxers:</p>

<p>longhaircareforum.com</p>

<p>You guys should watch Kimmaytube on YouTube. She knows her stuff!!!
I learned a couple of things that I was doing wrong with my natural hair.</p>

<p>Btw she gives info on healthily maintaining all types of hair not just natural.</p>

<p>That movie was kinda funny but I learned a lot…I usually wear my hair in a ponytail</p>

<p>I wonder if I am the only person who has relaxed hair and has no intention of ever going natural. I think natural hair is beautiful, but I also think my relaxed healthy hair is beautiful too. I know one of the stigmas regarding relaxed hair is health but it’s absolutely possible to have healthy, long, relaxed hair. Personally I don’t think my hair is long but it’s too my bra strap and fully relaxed, if I could instantly have natural hair that length I might consider it but I’m in love with my longer hair so I’ll stick with it. Thanks for humoring me:)
I might also be an anomaly since I rarely straighten, roller set or curl my hair with heat. And when I say rarely I mean 3-4 times a year.</p>

<p>@Geefizz, your hair can be long but it wont ever be real. Your hair is relaxed, without the help of some white substance it will fall out, do you consider that hair? I understand that you like your hair but when it comes down to it, it’s not real.</p>

<p>@bunny2105 I’m not sure what constitutes real hair in your mind but i consider real hair to be hair growing from my head. You seem to have some ostensible issue with relaxed hair and I don’t what facts you are using but if I stop relaxing my hair it will not fall out as a result of that. You seem to forget that people can be natural and have unhealthy hair. I thank my lucky stars we live in a world that determines the authenticity of hair by common sense rather than you ludicrous standards.
P.S. Some white substance? Okay I’m sure every product you put in your hair is manufactured and handled by only African Americans. That’s sarcasm if you couldn’t catch it.
Lastly! I think natural hair can be beautiful, but I think relaxed hair can be beautiful too. I’m an equal opportunist!</p>

<p>There’s other people out there with relaxed hair on youtube there’s some with hair longer than mine…to me real hair is your own not one you bought and can’t grow.</p>

<p>I’ve never had a relaxer so I’m use to not having one but just me,I usually wear it straightened nowadays but stopped because I colored my hair.</p>

<p>I like India Irie’s song “I am not my hair”</p>

<p>Sent from my SPH-M910 using CC</p>