Hello! Advice needed for an Ivy. [NY resident, 90.65/1560, pre-med]

I actually go to a different school :sweat_smile: and we no longer need mechanical drawing, I think it may be the same diploma though.

I am currently looking into Macaulay’s Honors program as well, and since it’s at a CUNY it will be very convenient, hoping I get accepted.

Thank you, I am a bit overwhelmed now with so many conflicting opinions. This forum has me wondering if it’s at all even possible to get into a good SUNY :face_holding_back_tears:

I also think I should focus more on liberal arts colleges and go in undecided rather than focusing on classes/majors that will prepare me for med school, just in case.

1 Like

After asking a bit more, they will help pay for college (any) as long as I get good grades and such. I think this is reasonable, but maybe placing a tiny bit of unneeded pressure at such an important time. However, I believe they will help pay, whether or not I will have to pay it back depends on my grades.

This is the kind of vibe I am getting from them currently.

1 Like

Have you tried chancing yourself for various schools on CollegeVine? It’s not perfect, but for my daughter, the predictions were actually pretty close to the results (with a few exceptions, but that’s to be expected). If all of the information you’re getting from all directions is confusing, it can be a useful exercise in getting some direction. Fill out your user profile as thoroughly as you can for best results, and then peruse safeties/matches/reaches for ideas. And if your school uses Naviance, that can be very helpful as well, because you can see where you stand relative to others from your school who’ve applied to various schools in the past. These resources might help your parents moderate their expectations, as well.

3 Likes

It sounds as if your parents have a large amount of unreported income, which can lead to problems when they fill out the CSS form (not to mention possible eventual criminal charges for tax evasion). It also sounds as if you cannot rely on them for consistent help with money for college.

If that gpa puts you at worse than top 5th % at your high school, barring other statuses which you do not have, you absolutely will not get into an ivy or a T20 school. Even the valedictorian from your school might not get into an ivy. The hired gun is lying to get your parents to pay them, or is uninformed.

You need to make an affordable option for yourself, which means a CUNY or SUNY that you can commute to. Also apply to binghamton, albany, stonybrook, buffalo, unless you hate some of them. Also genesco. Hopefully they will come up with the money you may need, otherwise, it is a commuter school for you.

No one goes into medicine anymore for the money. Too hard to get in, too much cost for the education vs the future earnings. PeopIe go into medicine nowadays because theyre highly motivated to practice medicine.

Where you go to college matters a lot less than gpa and mcat. You can get into a good residency from any med school. But you dont sound highly motivated for medicine.

2 Likes

I will take a look at CollegeVine, thank you.

I have taken a look at Naviance, but it’s pretty confusing: there are students with 1600 SATs and 4.0 GPAs getting rejected ED while a 1490 SAT 3.4 GPA student gets in RD :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Yes, that happens, but you can figure that the student with lower GPA and test scores had a hook of some kind. Valedictorians get rejected from the reachiest schools all the time, as other posters have mentioned. Naviance is helpful, because you can see where you are relative to a critical mass of students, not individual dots on the scattergram.

1 Like

I’ve asked, but it isn’t that either. Although we do combine incomes with my aunt and others at the end of the year.

A lot of students at my school actually get into prestigious schools, like the Ivies and MIT etc, every year.

I have looked into several SUNYs you have listed already, and will check out the others, thank you.

There are a lot of instances of these though, which is why for the Ivies I mentioned, like Cornell and Brown, I fall in the lower tier but I’m still there. Not sure if that means I do stand a chance though :face_holding_back_tears:

MOD HAT:

Please folks, let’s avoid naming this student’s school.

5 Likes

I was just about to make the same comment as @Catcherinthetoast without mentioning the school. Just want to point out that @sc06 attends a super competitive NYC high school where 20 percent of the class is going to Ivy League schools and the middle 50 percent SAT is 1490 to 1560. Context matters.

8 Likes

Do you have a chance? Sure. A good one? No. Shoot your shot and send out a few applications, but don’t blanket the Ivies and T20s with applications, because that’s expensive, and you’re unlikely to get in based on the information you’ve shared with us. The fact is that everyone would be unlikely to get into schools where the acceptance rate is lower than 10% (and in many cases under 5%).

2 Likes

One can only file an individual or a married tax return. They cannot combine income with other relatives. An income of 40k in nyc is very low income. Impossible for a family to live on this in nyc unless receiving publuc housing, food stamps,medicaid. If the css reveals a higher standard of living than this (car, apt or house with a mortgage and property taxes, etc), the school will realize there is hidden money.

4 Likes

Now that I know that you attend a very highly selective school, i would say that you do have a chance at T20s.

If I were to excuse my low GPA would “competitive school” count?

To be crystal clear, in case there is any doubt, on a site called College Confidential, it is not okay to identify the student’s school.

If a student mentions it, users who have been here since before the magma cooled should know that the best course of action is to advise the student to edit their post, as opposed to repeating it because the OP already said it.

5 Likes

It doesn’t “excuse” your GPA, but colleges will be very familiar with your highschool and know that an “average” student from your school is very high achieving and not the same as an average student from elsewhere. That being said, Ivies and other top schools will still be a reach.

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m really new and didn’t know

1 Like

Sorry I’m really new and didn’t know :frowning:

Alright, I’ll just take my chances and hope for the best, as well as improve my studying ethics !

No worries