Help! Hidden Gems Comparison: Peddie, Mercersburg, Canterbury, Avon Old Farms, Loomis

New to the world of prep schools and am basically drinking from a fire hose wading through the threads. Seeking guidance for a child looking to enter in the 9th grade, preferably in the NY/ NJ/ CT/ PA area, but open to something magical in MA/ NH

I know the big name schools, but am looking for some guidance on a hidden gem school with:

1. Rigorous academics, namely a strong math/ STEM program
  2. Rigorous swim program for serious swimmers
  3. Positive, inclusive, supportive, and non-cutthroat culture
  4. High rates of top-tier university matriculation
  5. Mid to smaller sized student population.

Currently have shortlisted to look more closely at:
Peddie
Mercersburg
Canterbury
Avon Old Farms
Loomis Chafee

we are also looking at Choate and Hotchkiss but are prioritizing fit over name. Fit for us= swim, STEM, small classes, culture.

Am I looking for a unicorn here?

1 Like

Add George School ¶. Great STEM, beautiful pool and year-round club plus school team, and wonderful inclusive culture.

Your list is a nice mix of excellent schools. Each is different in its own way, so it’s important that you visit to figure out what resonates most with you.

3 Likes

Peddie checks all of your boxes. I think Mercerburg does as well though I think Peddie has the edge in terms of Math/STEM rigor and focus.

The others don’t come even close in terms of swimming. It’s a completely different type of experience/program.

Feel free to DM me.

3 Likes

Thank you! was not even on my radar but will add and look into this now. I did try to create a list that was as honest and representative of what we were hoping/ looking for. Will definitely be visiting all and deep diving more – hopefully will get to speak to some parents/ alum from the threads on the forum too. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thank you! Peddie and Mercersburg were at the top of the list just based off research and forum stalking. Will DM you - appreciate it greatly!

What year are you? When are you looking to apply?

current 7th grader, looking to apply for 9th grade.

are we too early? too late? too clueless?

1 Like

No. It’s the right time to explore, visit, and decide where you want to apply in the fall.

You will have to decide what your goals are in terms of swimming. Peddie and Mercersburg will be more like a club experience and require a year round commitment, though I believe both teams are inclusive.

1 Like

year round commitment is definitely what we want - we’re currently year round club swimmers and would want to continue that way wherever he ends up. our hope though is that we find a rigorous swim program AND a rigorous STEM program, but most importantly, a place where he can feel welcome, at ease, comfortable, and nurtured, and encouraged to learn/ try/ experience new things.

Make sure you are reaching out to coaches. At the other schools you want to ask if there is a club team that practices locally and what swimmers do for the other seasons - often it is Water Polo in the fall.

George, for exemple, has a club team that uses their facility but you have to ask all the questions to understand what the reality looks like - it sounds better on paper than it is.

• Is an after school activity required? This is often the case, so they would have to go to the school sport/activity THEN go to club practice, not leaving a lot of time for HW, clubs, etc.

• How many in the school team do both?

• How would they get to USA Swimming meets?

• What time is the club practice? At Peddie, swimmers are part of the club (Peddie Aquatics) but for the most part are their own practice group with practices during normal school sport hours. The standard club practices conflict with dinner and study hours.

1 Like

Thank you-- these are great points and questions. We will definitely be talking to coaches.

What does the swim practice schedule at Peddie look like? Is it 1x/2x a day? 7 days a week? I believe at Mercersburg there’s morning and afternoon sessions? And side ask: does peddie have Saturday classes or are weekends “free” ?

While you’re here and so graciously giving swim wisdom-- how does swimming at Hotchkiss / choate stack up?

1 Like

Practices are 6 days a week M-S.

Mondays it is both AM and PM.

Weds is AM with optional club practice in the PM (varsity swims with the performance/elite group). Most of the more serious swimmers do this.

Saturday is AM only, combined with the performance group.

There are Saturday classes, but there are a lot of no class Saturdays. I think when it’s all said and done it’s only about 2/3 with classes. Because practice is in the morning, swimmers have most of the day free as classes are over before noon. Even at schools with no Saturday classes, there is still sports commitments in the afternoon, so swimmers have it better IMO.

1 Like

Unless you are looking at schools like Baylor and Bolles, it will be hard to find BS team that is comparable. Swimming only in the winter is never going to be the same. You are comparing with apples to oranges.

Exeter and Andover are more competitive and have seen some success but I think it was more a combination of the kids that happened to be there at a certain time than the program itself. Often, when you see a swimmer who is very successful at the USA swimming level from a traditional winter swim BS they are swimming club year round. Many times they are day students.

1 Like

Peddie’s swimming is excellent - it’s probably the first school I would think of when you say BS swimming! Mercersberg has a good year round program as well.

I’d give George the edge in STEM over both, however, if you think your kid is likely to be more exceptional on this front. Based on a few swimmers I know, I would reach out to the coach there to see how this works with the club team. They seem happy with the arrangement but I don’t know the details. I believe @TonyGrace actually has/had swimmers at Peddie so is an impeccable source for you!

This is part of what you’ll need to work through as you visit and prioritize your wants and needs. Your timing is perfect for doing this. It feels like it all comes galloping up on you in 8th.

1 Like

Our daughter started looking at the same time - January of 7th grade. It has not felt too rushed and she has definitely been intentional in the search, also looking for kind/caring teachers and community, a smaller school, great arts, and good XC team. She feels very happy with her list and is crossing her fingers she has a “yes” in March. Good luck over the next year!

2 Likes

Good to know! Thank you. What is the difference between the Varsity and performance/elite teams?

Varsity is the school’s team. Basically a regular HS team that trains for all 3 seasons instead of only the winter season. The team competes against other schools in the winter like any other HS team. Only Peddie students are in this group and they practice from 3:30 to 5:30 as part of the school’s daily schedule.

Performance is the invitation only club group of highly committed swimmers focusing on Sectionals/Futures/Jr Nationals. If school is not in session this is the group/practice varsity swimmers usually attend, partly because the coaches are the same. This group is coached by the club director who is also the Head Varsity Coach.

3 Likes

Thank you! we are definitely committed to swimming, and my kiddo is hell bent on swimming for a strong college team. Would be important to be a part of a program that will help him develop as a swimmer as well as a STEM driven student (his passion is math and comp sci).

1 Like