Help! Hidden Gems Comparison: Peddie, Mercersburg, Canterbury, Avon Old Farms, Loomis

This is so helpful. Thanks!!
My junior swimmer is considering boarding schools like Baylor and Bolles, but since we’re from the east, we feel more comfortable with options like Peddie and Mercersburg. However, as we do our research and communicate with these schools, making a decision is getting complicated. Swimming is our main focus, but academics are also important for my swimmer’s college aspirations. Mercersburg is attractive, but they don’t have a club team during the summer, so you’d have to go back to your local club for training and meets. This is making the decision more challenging. Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA

I’m curious, which school did you choose? I’m considering a similar path and would appreciate any insights you can share. Thank you!

1 Like

We go to George School. There is a swim club, George School Aquatics in school running by school coach, just like Peddie.

1 Like

It’s not quite the same set up, but George is a great school. The coach is very nice too.

1 Like

Thanks, but why it’s not quite same set up?

Swimming is a three season sport at Peddie, with varsity swimmers also competing at USA Swimming meets and is effectively a club training group. There are a couple of combined practices a week with the highest level club group.

I think – but am out of this loop – that it is only a varsity sport in winter at George. But if kids swim with the GS club team (and attend USA Swimming events), they can do that for all 3 seasons. I think there may be a larger cohort of kids doing that at Peddie - they have a long history as a swimming powerhouse – whereas George only started building its club team when they got their new pool (2015). It sounds like a serious swimmer could have the same training and club experience at both. Is that not the case?

I don’t know enough about the George requirements and schedule to really say, but one of the issues with swimming club at a BS is timing.

The great thing about having a varsity practice group year round is that the practices are always 3:30-5:30 like every other sport. Clubs (including Peddie’s) usually practice from 5pm on, sometimes with groups finishing after 9pm. This schedule conflicts with dinner, club meetings, study hall, etc.

That is what I want to say :grinning:
GSA compete in Middle Atlantic zone, while PAA is in NJ zone. They are both us swimming clubs and swimmers can swim all year round. That is what I learned from the club websites.

https://www.teamunify.com/team/njpa/page/home

GSA and PAA are club teams and members, for the most part, don’t attend the school. All the swimmers in the varsity group practice together for “club” but also earn 3 varsity letters each year - think of it as one of the various training groups in the club.

Great point! GSA senior groups training time is 7-9pm. I don’t know what means for student swimmers. Can they get up for the morning session next day?

The only group that has morning practice during the week is Varsity - PAA is not a high volume club.

Yes. I do mean those varsity swimmers.

You mean can they wake up for morning practice if the practice until 9pm?

Yes. Sorry for the confuse.

well, since they are varsity all year they would have been done before dinner.

What I can tell you is that this “built into the school day” schedule allowed my swimmers got more sleep in HS than in MS (club schedule) despite Peddie’s rigor and still were able to participate in many other school clubs and activities.

1 Like

Hi! I swim for a NJ BS that competes in the same league as Peddie. Our boys beat them this year, but Peddie girls beat us.

One consideration, is finding a BS that has a club team practice in the school’s pool. For instance, Lawrenceville’s pool is rented by WhiteWaters, and many boarders swim there.

Just a note for mercersburg: it is very, very remote.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.