Help me find an affordable public uni?

Hi all. I have applied to many LACs but now I am doubting if that’s a fit for me…
I have a hard time making friends and think I could easily get lonely at a small school. My current hs is small and I always think “I already know everyone here” when I think about making friends. And it bums me out.

So I am thinking more about a larger school. I really like SUNY Binghamton, and I’m a NY resident. The size is good, lots of facilities. Also I love schools that have nature preserves, farm, etc. I intend to major in Economics, possibly engineering.

Are there other public schools like Binghamton? My EFC is 0 so affordability matters. Schools I like are University of Washington, UNC Chapel Hill. Generally interested in schools in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, or my state: NY.

Forget OOS schools short of UNC and UVA that meet need. Staying in state is the smart choice.

There’s lots of great schools LIKE ALABAMA AND ARIZONA with strong merit for top students. But that still doesn’t cover housing.

Public schools are supported for in state, not OOS students.

Don’t know your stats but New Mexico and Utah have programs that include housing. So u may check them and bounce your stats against them.

Good luck.

2 Likes

North Carolina public universities generally, and UNC-Chapel Hill, are not going to give you money if you are an OOS applicant – although one exception may be Western Carolina University. Also, unless you have elite test scores and very high grades, you are likely not going to be admitted to UNC-CH (check out Sections C7 and C9-C11 of its Common Data Set); and, even if you are, it is going to cost you at least $47K as an OOS student. Do check out WCU, however.

University of Washington is also going to be a hard nut to crack for OOS applicants unless you have very high standardized test scores and grades.

Have you run the EFC for other SUNY schools?

1 Like

I agree with @tsbna44 that most OOS public colleges are not very generous. Additionally, UNC Chapel Hill has virtually no offerings in engineering – something to consider if you decide you’re more interested in engineering than econ.

Carolina guarantees to meet the full financial need of every admitted domestic student. Additionally, OP may qualify for Carolina Covenant if his/her EFC is 0.

UNC meets full need for OOS students. The hard part is getting in.

Check out:
SUNY Polytechnic Institute
SUNY Geneseo (3+2 engineering)
SUNY Buffalo and Stony Brook also have engineering

UNC-CH only has biomedical engineering

I should have written “merit money”. And as @twogirls correctly states, the hard part is getting in – especially now if the OP is applying RD.

1 Like

Yes. If OP is a senior they’ve missed the ‘real’ deadline for many top schools.

But with an EFC of $0, they need to stay in state

3 Likes

The deadline to apply to University of Washington has passed for fall 2022.

You might consider Washington State University. I understand they give their WUE scholarships to ALL nonresident applicants (not just those in WUE —Western Uni Exchange— states).

Aside from the college costs of attending out of state you need to consider travel cost as well. Getting to and from school costs money. Plus you’d be traveling at peak time around holidays and summer. Can your parents afford this multiple times per year? What about the costs of getting your stuff to/from school or storage costs over summer? Your best bet is to look into schools within an easy drive or train ride from your home.

7 Likes

Let’s change the topic. If you applied to LACs and I’ll assume those that meet need, why not apply to larger privates that meet need. Northeastern. USC. WUSTL, U Miami, etc

Be careful tho. Need aware schools can turn you down.

Worst case you go to who allows you to go for cheap. Maybe it will work out after all. You’re changing your mind based on an assumption it will be hard to make friends. A smaller school may in fact be easier.

Here’s all schools that meet need. NYU is not on the list yet but they meet need.

Look for need blind schools meaning they won’t hold $0 EFC against you. But I also attached a list below.

1 Like

I don’t know much about NY publics but is CUNY an option?

Agree that most OOS schools are off the table. Few meet full need and then there’s travel costs.

1 Like

I’d second SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook as other strong in-state public options for engineering.

4 Likes

I believe UNC CH meets full need for all accepted students.

@sybbie719 this NY resident has a $0 EFC….what are his or her options at the SUNY or CUNY schools that might be affordable…and have they missed any important deadlines.

Again, not knowing your stats, this can be a challenge. But, here are a few to consider if you want to swing for the fences:

These are need-blind and meet full financial need. The first two in bold offer no loans as part of their meeting the need.

Columbia University
Princeton University
Cornell University - no loans depending on family’s resources
Duke University-no loans depending on family’s resources
University of Rochester

The universities below are need-blind, but don’t guarantee meeting full need:
Fordham University
North Carolina State
Syracuse University

We’re from Southern California.
Our daughter attended SUNY Buffalo.
She was admitted to several UC’s (UCSD, etc.), Johns Hopkins, USC, a number of LAC’s, but she wanted to experience “seasons and snow” and be near Toronto (at a large school). So, she crazily chose UB (She received full ride). She majored in engineering and returned to California for breaks and jobs. She’s had no problem in procuring any job that she wanted.
Their engineering department has great support and tutoring.

6 Likes

Can you commute to any of the SUNYs? That would be a financial safety. The NYS TAP (tuition assistance program grant) will pay tuition, but Pell won’t be enough for room and board. Are you working? TAP, Pell, and the $5500/year federal student loan might be enough if you can work to save the rest.

2 Likes

I second the recommendation of SUNY Poly up in Utica. They are doing some interesting things with nanotechnology in particular there. It has gone through rapid growth over the past couple of years, so most facilities are pretty new.

Poly provides an interesting alternative to the bigger engineering schools at Stony Brook, Binghamton, and Buffalo because it is a small engineering college with an undergrad enrollment of 2200 (3000 total with grad atudents). Total cost if attendance is also a couple of thousand dollars cheaper than the bigger SUNY research universities.

3 Likes

A “0” EFC does not mean free.

Even with full TAP($5165), Full PELL($6495) and a full freshman loan ($5500), you will not cover the direct cost at SUNY without working and saving or your parents coming out of pocket.

TAP does not cover the full cost of SUNY tuition. Even if you apply for Excelsior, it is the last payer; the remainder of your tuition will be paid by PELL before you get Excelsior funds.

If you are in NYC, your financial safety is CUNY.

Can you tell us more about you- GPA, Scores?

2 Likes

AFAIK what you described will cover the cost of tuition at SUNY. Agree that CUNY is the best deal. CUNY even for someone from outside the city but within commuting distance or with access to living arrangements in the city?