Help me prove that I’m a resident of Texas

Yea I already did they say that they still need proof of employment but they will take McKinney Vento into account

That’s true as a generalization, but Texas and New York are both big states, and Rochester is not Manhattan! I just pulled up a cost of living calculator, and the cost of living in Rochester is slightly less than in Austin or Dallas, and slightly more than Houston or San Antonio… but they’re all within a 10% margin.

Of course, there are various pros and cons; I’m just impressed that you got such a great offer from RIT, which is an excellent school.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I will look into it. RIT is considered a tier 2 school right? I was not able to find any official information.

Define tier 2.

RIT is legit and according to you dirt cheap. RIT grads do well.

3 Likes

I don’t know what tier 2 means either. I don’t see TAMU as better than RIT and that 3.75 GPA hurdle coming out of Blinn will be difficult to achieve for many students. You wouldn’t have that issue at RIT.

7 Likes

McKinney-Vento is for primary and secondary schools, not for college. The colleges can set their own documentation requirements, as long as they meet the definition of resident under Texas law.

I think you have to fill out the Core residency questionnaire

https://www.uttyler.edu/admissions/files/core_residency_2017.pdf

It wasn’t clear from your original post if you are living on your own or if your family is homeless It also wasn’t clear if you are a citizen or not and the requirements may be different for a student who is international (36 month) than for one just moving to texas from another state (12 month) before beginning college.

1 Like

Elephant in the room. You are here…but where are your parents?

Work your way through the core residency form. It has you skip sections if you are independent or if you answer ‘yes I am a citizen’ If you are a citizen, I think you can qualify with only 12 months of residency before hs graduation, but you are still going to have to prove that. Being registered in a high school should work, or a stamp in your passport when you re-entered the US. If you have no tax records or work records, you may have to get that documented (if stayed with friends, you could have them write a letter).

I think you were fortunate that UNT changed your status without completing the Core form (but they might have done it because you received a scholarship and qualified for instate that way).

You need to stay on this as the deadlines are approaching and you may have to file quite a few forms to get that status changed.

As @twoinanddone explained the McKinney-Vento act only pertains to primary and secondary schools to make sure that you have access t a free and appropriate public education.
While your HS MCkinney Vento Liasion can deem you to be an unaccompanied minor, it does not mean that the college financial aid office can not ask you additional questions, including how are you meeting your day-to-day expenses to determine your eligibility for aid/in-state residency.

TAMU states the following regarding determining residency

Blockquote

High School Graduation

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students.

Requirements

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12th class day) of the semester in which you enroll at the university (or another college or university).

Establishing Domicile

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish a domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months, as evidenced by:
  • Gainful employment in Texas;
    Note: Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.

• Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence;
  • Ownership and operation of a business in Texas; or
  • Marriage for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas.

Appeals

If you’ve submitted the Residency Core Questions and have been classified as a non-Texas resident after reviewing the form, you have the option to appeal your residency determination.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency#fndtn-residency-establishing-domicile-requirements.

Blockquote

2 Likes

From OP’s very first post, OP is a U.S. citizen.

At least you got in to UNT as an in-state student. Be happy with the opportunity.

1 Like

They are a Texas resident so why be happy that only one school classified them the way others should as well? It’s not a gift when you attend high school, work, and pay taxes there.

5 Likes

If OP has been working and paying taxes for 1 year 5 months, as claimed, there must be paperwork to support that

2 Likes