Help the little soon to be freshman

<p>Hey, I was admitted EA and im registered as a Pre-Med and I have a few questions..</p>

<ol>
<li><p>It says there is an orientation and all Pre-Meds need to register and XYZ.. when is all this?</p></li>
<li><p>Does anyone have words of wisdom/advice for those doing Pre-Med? Any professors that are mustt haves?</p></li>
<li><p>Lasty, the big kahuna, my MAJOR. I have absoutely nooooooo ideeaaaaa what to major in. . What majors in Miami get the most positive feed back/students love???</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Gracias mi amigos (gotta start working on my spanishlol)
:)</p>

<p>I can’t help you with questions 1 or 2, but let me take a stab at 3. </p>

<p>You don’t need to declare a major yet. Obviously, medical schools will want a background in the sciences. I would suggest taking the intro classes in each of the basics: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and then seeing if any those classes spark a particular interest. Also, sit down with your advisor and have them help you map out a plan.</p>

<p>Re: your question about professors, I can’t tell you which professors to take, but you can check (rate my professors dot com) [put it together] to check on the reputation of specific professors as reported by current students.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Depends on what X, Y and Z are. Registration, if my memory serves, starts late in the spring/early in the summer. You only get to fill out course preferences, not actually select your classes.</p></li>
<li><p>Don’t be too stuck in the pre-med-ness. Keep your options open. I certainly understand determination to pursue that route, but be sure that, if you ever do change your mind, you are able to do something else. Other than that, you need to get good grades, get to know your professors, participate in a wide variety of extracurriculars, volunteer (in clinical settings especially), and shadow.</p></li>
<li><p>Whatever interests you, for pre-med. Almost every pre-med is a biology major, but Philosophy majors have the highest acceptance rate (by a small margin) to medical schools.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Es verdad que debes empezar de apprender la lengua espanola, pero no creo que es muy necessario hablar espanol aca. Se puede pasar con el ingles… pero no hay dude que puede ayudarte si puedas hablar espanol :)</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your responses! Yes I want to keep my options open. How is the Psych department? I was considering Sociology as well and maybe even Economics (yes, I am everywhere) LOL</p>

<p>When I was there for a scholarship interview, I met this really interesting person who was double majoring in history and english, along with doing the pre-med track. It was insane to hear, but also cool to know that UM offers so many opportunities to pursue whatever you love.</p>

<p>How is the History Department?</p>

<p>major-
Son is history major (and philosophy and English majors too).</p>

<p>Programs and classes have been great.
Small classes.
No complaints from him.</p>

<p>Does Miami do a good job of preparing students for the Med school? Are the pre-med reqs KILLER or bearable?</p>

<p>Does anyone know if you can major within the school of arts and sciences but still take classes at the rosenstiel school?</p>

<p>Yes, you can, you can take classes in any school you want (well, the undergrad colleges). I believe you can’t, however, major or minor there without obtaining some kind of permission.</p>

<p>I’ve heard good things about the Pre-Med route… I can’t remember exactly but the admissions woman I spoke with said that those with a certain gpa (i think 3.6? and higher) and MCAT (really cant remember) have a Med school acceptance rate at about 83%</p>

<p>Are there a lot of volunteer opportunities and good advising? What Med schools do student typically go to?</p>

<p>I can comment on the volunteer opportunities. The Service and Leadership Center (SLC) is the University’s hub for volunteering and service related activities. Around thirty student organizations are run through the office, including LINK and Strive. Strive is a living and learning community of students who commit to eight hours of service weekly, six of which must be distributed equally over certain requirements (leadership, service and development, I think…) If you google University of Miami and strive, you should get a few results with more info. LINK is the University’s largest volunteer organization, and coordinates weekly volunteer opportunities through its “Feel Good Fridays” and “Service Saturdays”. These volunteer activities range from playing kickball with kids at the nearby community center to helping children with autism by helping them to interact with horses. There are two major service days throughout the year: in the Fall, Gandhi day of service, and in the spring, Hurricanes help the hometown. At Gandhi day, I think we had at least 2000 people turn out. You can find more information on these days here: [Service</a> Days | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/student_life/student_organizations/service_and_leadership_center/get_involved/service_days/]Service”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/student_life/student_organizations/service_and_leadership_center/get_involved/service_days/)</p>

<p>and can also find info on more of the SLC’s programs in the menu on the right.</p>

<p>The SLC also has this new program specifically directed at pre-meds called HEARTs. Given that I’m no longer pre-med (but still a bio major :slight_smile: ) I can’t offer you all the details on it, but I believe it involves volunteering in a patient care setting - something that medical schools love.</p>

<p>You can get into any medical school you want from UM. It’s all on you, though, to get the incredibly resume that medical schools want, including (but not limited to): volunteering, shadowing of doctors, clinical care experience, a great GPA, research experience (plus getting published, if you’re looking to attand a university like Harvard), great MCAT, etc. Medical school is super competitive, as I’m sure you know.</p>

<p>Greetings, I am not so sure that a major in the sciences is necessary. We had several non science majors in my medical school class and I have friends who did art history for example before medical school. That being said, medical schools all have science requirements (physics, chemistry etc.) but back in the day a science minor took care of that. So I would say stay with your strengths, because above all you are going to need a more or less spotless transcript to get into medical school. Having an interesting non science major may even distinguish you. All the admission folks want to make sure of is that you can handle the academic rigor of the medical school curriculum which has kicked many a hini.</p>

<p>to add onto rankin. the Butler Service and Leadership center has amazing opportunities for this. they’ve got impact retreat, first year u, and leadership summit. </p>

<p>anyone can ask if they want me to elaborate</p>

<p>does a miami undergrad education prepare students for top grad schools? I’d like to go to miami for undergrad, but i also am planning to try to go to an ivy league institution for graduate business school afterwards… assuming i get good grades and do well on the standarized tests, will i still be able to contend for a place in elite grad schools if i go to miami for undergrad?</p>

<p>Superior standardized test scores and a high GPA from a major university, which Miami is, are assumed. Generally speaking the Ivy Grad Business Schools will expect you to have some amount of real world job experience in addition to a stellar undergraduate record.</p>

<p>yes I know several seniors already admitted to Ivy’s for business, medical and law school</p>