High Math Courses Professor Reccomendations?

<p>Hi guys, I am a transfer student for Fall 2011 and will be a sophomore in the College of Engineering (Mechanical). Through my experiences I have realized that the effectiveness of your professor is vital in the amount of succes and/or time you have in the course. I would like recommendations from those who have taken Calculus III and/or Differential Equations and had a great professor.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Look in the Fall timetable (course list), find the professor’s names and try ratemyprofessor.com</p>

<p>Ok, I will definitely try that! I would still like some personable comments on who are great teachers for Calc III and Differential Equations.</p>

<p>My daughter had only horrible professors in the math department until she took a 400-level class with Prof. Bertrand. She was not the only one in the class to be convinced that she could major in math after all because of the quality of his teaching. She also loved Prof. Kiselev and liked Prof. Viaclovsky, but these profs tend to teach only high level classes. Good luck finding anybody decent at the intermediate level. She has found the ratings at ratemyprofessors to be accurate.</p>

<p>[Robert</a> L. Wilson, Jr.](<a href=“http://www.math.wisc.edu/~wilson/]Robert”>Robert L. Wilson, Jr.)</p>

<p>Go to the UW site and search under math and distinquished teaching award. You’ll find some every other year or so in the math dept.</p>

<p>Wilson is great but I think he’s basically retired right now. I have him for Math 340 (Elementary Matrix and Linear Algebra) and I don’t think he’ll be teaching much longer. Your two options for 234 next semester are Brian Street and Mikhail Feldman. Street looks like a recent hire from the University of Toronto so that might be your best bet. Feldman has only so-so ratings.</p>

<p>Tosh, those two professors are the only two that are teaching Calc 3 next semester? i can not look at the available classes until I go to SOAR in June from what I know. Or can I? Also if those are the only two professors available for Calc 3 it would be awesome if you could let me know if there is a very good professor available for Differential Equations.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I have no idea for DiffEq. Generally the path at Madison is finish all of the calculus first and then do the higher level stuff later. I went right from finishing multivariable calc to going to linear algebra since that is the recommended path for the things I am looking at. </p>

<p>If you go to the Office of the Registrar’s schedule of classes and select Public Class search, you should be able to get an update on how 234 is filling up. It looks like that two of the lectures do not have professors assigned to them yet, so there might be other options available.</p>

<p>Good luck in 234–I did not find it very easy (Math generally here isn’t compared to high school) but I agree with you it’s all about who you have as a professor.</p>

<p><a href=“http://registrar.wisc.edu/schedule_of_classes.htm[/url]”>http://registrar.wisc.edu/schedule_of_classes.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Do you plan on taking Math 319 or 320? My timetable recommends that I take 319, but it’s been recommended that I take 320 by a few current students.</p>

<p>Also, you should be able to search for classes via student center.</p>

<p>320 is the combination of the essentials of 319 and 340.</p>