High Point Junior Scholars

Hi all, we just heard from my daughter’s high school counselor that she was accepted into the High Point Junior Scholars program for next year. Apparently the notification to students will arrive through snail mail in June. This is a big deal for her… she is anxious about the college application process and just a couple of weeks ago was almost in tears thinking she would be a “disappointment” to everyone. Now with this news she has a lot more optimism about the road ahead. I heard about the Junior Scholars program on this board and came back to thank the parents who posted on that thread… without it I would have never known about this opportunity for early acceptance to a college we are considering, and a big confidence boost for my daughter. So thanks to all who posted!

For those who haven’t heard of the program and are seeking info, here are the basics: Junior Scholars Program | Undergraduate Admissions | High Point University

If you Google “High Point Junior Scholars” you can still find the 2021 thread which had very good info about the process that is not available elsewhere.

Congrats to your daughter. But honestly reading about it, it’s just marketing.

Feel great about your student - and here’s a small scholarship to get you to apply here.

I realize it’s a great confidence builder for the student and that’s fine - but as a parent looking at reality, it’s just a marketing ploy.

Sorry.

1 Like

Come on. All colleges market themselves. “A great confidence builder for the student” is of great value for some of us and should not be looked down upon. As you said in the other thread that was taken down, “these types of programs are great - if you’re possibly going to that school.” I’m grateful to have found out about the program.

And I’m noting, if it helps your student’s confidence, it’s great. As parents, we need all the confidence builders we can get.

But they put zero into the program. It’s just if you have grades, get nominated.

There’s nothing to it - no schooling, leadership or anything. Come for a tour on a day we tell you that you will be honored and we’ll make you feel good so you feel good about us. . It’s just a game. No effort to actually make this a worthy program/honor.

They also give the tourers (all) a personalized parking space. They market as a country club and less so a school. It’s their niche. I have no issue.

It’s we are an easy school to get into, if your student is decent after Junior year, we’ll take the chance and admit…even though there is zero percent chance they wouldn’t get admitted anyway.

For your kid, congrats.

But in reality - it’s them providing a small discount in hopes of making you feel good.

Honestly it’s much ado about nothing.

But I do get the kid and confidence thing.

As a parent you can pull up all the stats and go on CollegeVine and tell your kid all day long there is zero percent chance they wouldn’t get admitted… in fact my daughter’s list has four of these “likelies” on it currently, and I have been telling her this about each of them. But it’s a very different thing for them to hear it directly from the school itself. And I would say a unique opportunity for the kid to get this type of direct, positive feedback at this very early stage of the process. Similar to the well worn, great advice to submit an app to a rolling admission school in August so the kid gets that first acceptance in hand, but this is in May. Well worth looking into if you are otherwise interested in HPU.

Agreed

I mean it’s $2500 when I’m not sure if they regularly give merit.

Every dollar helps.

And for the kid it’s a win.

1 Like

OP came here for some information on a program that has her kid exicited about college.

Clearly, High Point isn’t a school for everyone, but for some it may be a great fit. I hope OP gets the info she is looking for.

6 Likes

Actually OP wasn’t seeking info but sharing the program. I agreed that it’s great for the student’s confidence.

1 Like

Congratulations! My daughter is going into her second year at HPU! Take every opportunity you can, and she can there! It has been life changing for my daughter! For those who say it’s just marking, they clearly do not know the heartbeat of this institution.

The program is marketing.

No one is saying the education or experience for your child isn’t wonderful.

Thanks KorriRay, much appreciated! We are very much looking forward to visiting High Point again for the lunch in October.

1 Like

Hope you have a great time!