High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

Thanks, me too. Graduate school is a long way off, though, so I still have time.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be candid. Please please drop the whole ā€œdream collegeā€ idea. Itā€™s fine to have a favorite college on your list, but elevating it to dream college status just isnā€™t necessary. You need to have a bunch of colleges you would be very happy to attend on your college list of applications.

3 Likes

Fine, itā€™s my top college choice. The wording doesnā€™t really matter, does it? Itā€™s not like Iā€™ll give up on my education or something if I attend a different university. NYU has everything I want, a top-notch education, resources, urban environment, plus itā€™s great for Journalism, which is what I intend to pursue in the future. I have other colleges in mind, NYU is just the best fit for my interests.

1 Like

Sounds as if you will be living at home. If you are a nyc resident, make a cuny option, suny too. If NJ resident, rutgers. Nyu is a long shot. Have you considered Barnard? Also a long shot, but a very good option.

Forget medicine. Not possible unless you are really interested, motivated, and dedicated.

7 Likes

Thanks for clarifying/qualifying what had sounded like some ā€œabsoluteā€ statements.

So - I now understand that your parents would like you to pursue college with their hope that it might potentially lead to medical or law school down the road. That is a realistic future option for very many colleges, while completely compatible with your own liberal arts interests. You can cross that bridge once youā€™ve enrolled in whichever college and started taking classes for a semester or two.

With your excellent academics and resume, I suspect youā€™ll gain admission offers from a good number of colleges with great name recognition. So, if NYU is on top of your list, you have as good as odds as anyone, thus should be one of your applications.

Youā€™ve already been advised about college finances. Once you and your family see what financial aid packages are available from which colleges you were accepted into, they can determine which ones are affordable given the number of siblings in colleges.

There is a concern, but not in THAT way:

Applying ED to your first-choice can often improve your odds substantially (because fewer people apply ED and acceptance rates are often by a factor higher than from RD). But, not to worry, if you should get accepted ED, but attendance is not feasible with the financial aid offered, you will not have to accept the package.

However, the is a different downside: If accepted ED, youā€™ll have to make the enrollment decision based on that ONE offer, without your parents having had the benefit of waiting and seeing the cost (after aid / merit scholarships) from other (RD) colleges, and possibly choosing one more affordable to them (regardless of brand name).

So - if ED@NYU turns out too expensive, you donā€™t enroll. Done.
But if ED@NYU is affordable, you might end up enrolling and your family spending more, than they would have at a different RD school with a better offer.

2 Likes

I really donā€™t want to go to Rutgers, nothing about it interests me even though itā€™s supposedly a really good school. I am applying to Barnard, although itā€™s even more selective than NYU.
I wish I could forget medicine. I try to communicate that to my parents but theyā€™re old schooled.

So do you think it is worth it to ED? If we can afford the package, even by a slight margin, Iā€™ll have to enroll?

You knowā€¦you can go to undergrad school and major in anything you want to as a ā€œpremedā€. You just need to take the required courses for medical school admissions. Ohā€¦and do things like shadowing, significant volunteering with underserved populations, hands on patient contact. And take the MCAT with a great score.

You can choose a major to your liking and go from there. Itā€™s very possible medical school wonā€™t work out anyway, regardless of how much your parents wish it will. So you are wise to have a career back up planā€¦and that can be something you really really like.

1 Like

They donā€™t want premed either. They want pharmacy or something, so that I can be able to get a job when I graduate even if I donā€™t go to med school. Theyā€™re very demanding with the major, and I donā€™t think it will quite fit with the Humanities-oriented major I want to do- Journalism.

The choice to pay for grad and med school is your parent choice.

If you want to do what you want to doā€¦I would suggest you look for colleges where your strong academic record could net you a full rideā€¦including tuition, fees, room, board. Move awayā€¦you wonā€™t need your parents support or permission if your funding is all taken care of.

And as I saidā€¦your parents can wish all they want toā€¦but fact isā€¦more students get rejected from medical schools than get accepted. Wrap your head around that.

And regarding pharmacyā€¦there is a huge over supply of pharmacists right now. Not like in years past when every grad was offered multiple jobs where they actually wanted to live and work.

5 Likes

Everything you said makes sense. However, moving out isnā€™t really an option for me right now, but I am looking at colleges that could potentially offer me full ride. Iā€™m not going to do med school anyway, whatever they think, but Iā€™m concerned Iā€™ll have to do a major Iā€™m not really interested in.

Is there really? I didnā€™t know. I guess theyā€™re the most popular choice in medicine right now.

Thanks for your advice. I think the main concern of my parents is that Journalism wonā€™t give me a six figure salary :roll_eyes: Iā€™m trying to tell them that double majoring or dual degree will get me there, especially since Iā€™m really passionate about my major of interest. Weā€™ll see how it goes.

There are ā€œsomeā€ nuances, but basically - letā€™s answer this with ā€œYes!ā€.

ED is a binding agreement with the school where you apply to - and they (and the rest of the college world) will absolutely expect you to actually honor your agreements, just as you expect that college to do. (If I were another college, would I really want to admit someone, who has already demonstrated a lack of ethics.)

Hypothetically, a high school could even get involved and refuse to send transcripts to other schools.

A college might decide to ā€œreleaseā€ you from your agreement, if there are new/sudden/exceptional family circumstances, making it genuinely unaffordable/unfeasible.

Definitely do not apply ED anywhere unless you will (in good faith) actually attend.

As far as having better odds at admission - yes, it is ā€œworthā€ it for many elite colleges.
There are significantly fewer ED applicants than RD applicants, and the college doesnā€™t have to worry if they are wasting an acceptance on a really great applicant who rather prefers one of the competitor colleges.

Okay, thank you for clarifying. Due to the high expenses involved and the uncertainty of the future, I think Iā€™d better stay with Regular Decision. If I donā€™t get accepted, I can attend another college, rack up my savings, and then apply again for graduate school. Do you think that would be a good path? Iā€™ll be much more certain of my prospects by then.

I would agree that the field of journalism is rapidly changing. Are you talking broadcast journalism or what? Are you interested in the production end? Or what?

What colleges are within commuting distance from your homeā€¦beside NYU.

1 Like

Yes - for you (and the majority of college applicants), there seem to be too many variables that speak against making an absolute ED commitment.

1 Like

There are over 200 colleges in the NYC metro area (25 mile radius), and even more just outside of that radius. Thereā€™s over a million college students in that circle. So if NYC is commutable, hundreds of schools are.

2 Likes

Good journalists are something that the U.S. needs more of (though thereā€™s not necessarily an increasing demand for it). That said, however, the majority of journalists are not pulling down 6-figure salaries, if that figures into your desire to be one: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/reporters-correspondents-and-broadcast-news-analysts.htm.

1 Like

Indeed it is. Thatā€™s partly why I want to join it.

Iā€™d like to do print journalism mostly, maybe foreign correspondence or investigative journalism. Hoping to work for a major newspaper agency or become a freelance journalist. Or, if thatā€™s not stable enough, I could double major in Journalism and Data Science/Analytics and become a data journalist. Iā€™m not opposed to broadcast, although thatā€™s more like Plan D or E.

Hereā€™s a list:

• Monmouth University
  • Montclair State University
  • Kean University
  • Rutgers Piscataway/Newark
  • Princeton University
  • NJIT
  • Farleigh Dickinson
  • Seton Hall
  • TCNJ
  • Brookdale Community College

And thatā€™s really all Iā€™m considering in NJ.
In New York and Pennsylvania, Iā€™m considering Columbia University, UPENN, Penn State, and Barnard.

I agreeā€¦but the college also needs to be affordable. And that could be a challenge with some of these many many colleges. Plus, this is a NJ resident who would be paying OOS costs for the many publics in that groupā€¦and there are tons of privates with very high price tags that donā€™t meet full need and have limited merit aid.

Iā€™ll rephrase my question to the OP. What colleges within commuting distance of your home are affordable and are under consideration? Excluding NYU.

2 Likes

I would suggest you look at this site. There might be some health related career that piques your interest and would also be OK with your parents.

1 Like