Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards- is it worth applying?

<p>I've never heard of these awards before. I immediately started an application since I meet all the requirements. However, I'm very confused on what the awards are based on- academic, need, accomplishments? When I got to the awards page, I just stared at the screen. I've never won an award or honor or anything. Yes, it's sad. But I'm taking AP classes and have always taken honors courses and have a decent GPA. So my question is, if you haven't won any awards, is there a point in even signing up? I feel like this is obviously not the scholarship for me.</p>

<p>vanessa,</p>

<p>Use the Search function on this forum (upper R above the thread list) for ‘youth’, you will find several past threads about the HHYA that may be helpful. </p>

<p>Also, use the ‘Look up Youth Award Winner’ (there’s a category for Academic Excellence) or click on ‘Youth awards recipients’ (L column) on the HHYA website. These descriptions should give you a pretty good idea of the types of accomplishments it takes to make application worthwhile.</p>

<p>Sorry, I’m not personally familiar with the awards and so can’t give a first hand comment.</p>