Hispanic Students-College Class of 2014

<p>Decision: Accepted 2014!!!</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown):2220 M:730 W: 750 CR: 740
[</em>] ACT: didn’t take
[<em>] SAT II (if submitted): Math IIC: 740 French: 710 USH: 760
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 3/800
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): English Language(5), Calculus AB(5), World History(4), APUSH(4)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP European History, AP Stats, AP Biology, AP Macro, AP English Lit, US Gov’t, Girls Varsity Soccer Fall/Spring
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Commended, National Merit Hispanic Scholar, AP Scholar w/Honor</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Girls Soccer (jv captain), NHS, Junior State of America, French Club
[</em>] Job/Work Experience:
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: 200ish hours
[</em>] Essays: my best supplement
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation: didn’t read
[</em>] Counselor Rec: same
[<em>] Additional Rec:
[</em>] Interview: all were fine, some better than others</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
[</em>] Intended Major: Neuroscience!
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): TX
[</em>] Country (if international applicant):
[<em>] School Type: large public
[</em>] Ethnicity: Mexican-American :slight_smile:
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] Income Bracket: 60,000
[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc): urm, first generation</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Accepted[ul]
[<em>]Harvard
[</em>]Yale
[<em>]Brown
[</em>]Duke
[<em>]Washington University in St. Louis
[</em>]Duke
[<em>]Johns Hopkins
[</em>]Rice
[<em>]Bowdoin
[</em>]UT Austin Dean’s Scholars</p>

<p>[/ul]Waitlisted[ul]
[li]Princeton</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]General Comments: good luck class of 2015!!</p>

<p>Mexican…
NYU lsp
George Washington U
Brandeis
USD
University of Florida</p>

<p>Congrats to all. </p>

<p>This is for those of you whose children (or you) have been accepted to Ohio State but haven’t yet decided to attend. </p>

<p>My OSU junior son was recently home for a few days over spring break. We talked about how blessed he’s been with all the opportunities that he’s been given at OSU and of which he’s taken advantage. Together we listed all the entertainers, guest lecturers, and politicians he has seen. The list went on and on and was unbelievable. In addition, he’s had research opportunities at Ohio State that we don’t think he would have had at many other universities. In the next year, he’ll be attending two conferences. The last event we added to the list was the invitation to attend a ladies basketball game with OSU President Gordon Gee. He had a blast that evening!
If that’s not enough, I’ll add that he has been challenged and has grown and learned tremendously. We couldn’t ask for a better college experience.
I highly recommend Ohio State.</p>

<p>P.S. If you’re thinking that these opportunities are only for super students…don’t. Our only disappointment is that his average is just slightly over a 3.0. Needless to say, he’s having a great time socially as well.</p>

<p>Congratulations on all of the great choices! Enjoy making your decisions and take that deep breath you’ve been needing these last few weeks!</p>

<p>ctt,
Thanks so much for your comments, D2 is a jr and I’ve been trying to get OSU on her radar. More and more it sounds like a school with boundless opportunities and and a wonderful college experience in all respects.</p>

<p>okay so now i’m listing my final list of colleges: yay!</p>

<p>I was accepted and will be enrolling next fall at Columbia University, Columbia College.
I was also accepted to Georgetown SFS, Middlebury, Kenyon, the College of Wooster, University of Pittsburgh, and the New College of Florida, and Oxford College of Emory University
I was rejected from Yale EA, as well as from Vassar and UChicago (my first choice). Emory waitlisted me
FA was veryyyy generous (all colleges paid for everything except $15k), but it’s really hard to beat columbia, plus it’s got more of the stuff i want to do than any other college. i’m also a kluge scholar and it sounds like columbia really wants me, so that’s the one i’ve decided on. will hear about finaid this week!
my advice: for hispanics looking for good colleges, look at liberal arts schools! most of them are craving diversity, especially the top 20 or so. they’re usually easier to get into than big schools like yale, and they’ll take care of you more.</p>

<p>oh, if you guys want my scores, just look at my other posts! hope this is useful!</p>

<p>tl, thanks for the information and congratulations on all of your acceptances! Columbia sounds like a wonderful choice for you. I just took my first trip to NYC over spring break and had a great time, so much to see and do. Enjoy!</p>

<p>I am Peruvian from Florida. Accepted at PENN ED!!!</p>

<p>Daughter National Hispanic Scholar # 3 in class rank
SAT 2330 after retake 2200 the first time (this may have made the difference as well)
4.75 weighted
Told by her admissions officer that the essays made the difference!(especially at Stanford and UCB and UCSC)</p>

<p>Deluged with full ride offers from many schools based on National Hispanic Scholar ( see ITSV lists- great resources from Entomom as well!!</p>

<p>Applied and Accepted at:</p>

<p>UCB Regents and Chancellor Scholarship ( close 2nd choice )
UCD
UCSC Regents and Chancellor Scholarship
UCSD Regents and Chancellor Scholarship</p>

<p>CSULB Presidential Scholarship candidate ( would not notify until June- what is the point?)</p>

<p>Stanford- Stanford Scholarship Fund or Cal Grant A and Pell Grant
A Full/ Majority ride including more than half the housing</p>

<p>She will be a Stanford Cardinal in the Fall the class of 2014!</p>

<p>So many wonderful choices and money to boot! Congratulations to your daughter best wishes for a fantastic fr year!</p>

<p>I don’t like to post too many details about ds but feel like I should contribute to the group.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted Class of 2014!!!</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT: 2200+
SAT II: Three, 690 and above
GPA: 4.0+
AP: Six tests junior year, all passing
Senior Year Course Load: 6 APs
Major Awards: National Hispanic Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction, Eagle Scout. Lots of local ones
Extracurriculars: four-year varsity athlete, club president, Eagle Scout, student govt, NHS
Job/Work Experience: Several p-t things
Volunteer/Community service: more than 250 hours
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
State (if domestic applicant): TX
School Type: Top 100 Public, Small
Ethnicity: Hispanic
Income Bracket: Approx 40k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM </p>

<p>Strengths: Commitment to a few key things, crafted a great college list
Weaknesses: rank at competitive school </p>

<p>Accepted: Texas A&M, University of Texas @ Austin, Hendrix, Notre Dame, Tulane, Carleton, Grinnell, Macalester, University of Tulsa
WL’d: Rice
Rejected: Stanford</p>

<p>General Comments: Apply to places where you are a hot commodity – like LACs if you’re a male from a faraway state.</p>

<p>Congrats to your son, where will he be attending?</p>

<p>Sweet, I was looking for this in here.</p>

<p>Decision: I’ll be going to Carnegie Mellon in the fall for engineering</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT: 1980, 710 math, 700 reading, and 570 for writing but later on I found out writing scores are low for engineering anyway, so eh.
SAT II: Math2, literature, spanish, I got 650s and up
GPA: 94/100
AP: passed AP Calc and World History
IB: don’t know my scores yet but HL English, HL Spanish, HL History of Americas, SL Math, SL Art, SL Bio
Senior Year Course Load: told it was the hardest course available.
Major Awards: Ventures, Honor society, UIL Debate district winner, UIL Best Techie district, some art contest, some other things I forgot what I put on the applications really
Extracurriculars: JV basketball, Theater all 4 years (VP, Stage manager, head tech, very involved), Engineering Club Pres, Math Club founder, Volunteer at Good Samaritan Center, Interact Rotary Historian, NHS officer/historian
Job/Work Experience: Get2Work @ goodsamaritancenter, waitress at 2 diff restaurant, comic book shop employee
Volunteer/Community service: a lot, IB makes you get +300 but I had more, all the usual habitat for humanity and things like that but also worked with kids at goodsam and volunteered at the museum, I had so many at the end of the years but it was a lot of un and I don’t think I put them all down
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
State (if domestic applicant): TX
School Type: I don’t think we’re ranked, inner city public school, kinda low graduation -> college rate
Ethnicity: Hispanic, Mexican-American
Income Bracket: 21K, 4 in household
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): hispanic, female in engineering, first generation to graduate HS and college</p>

<p>Strengths: while I did a lot I only ever talked about theater and things that I loved, I think it helped to apply into a STEM field coming from a kinda artistic background
Weaknesses: I wrote my commonapp essay on having an extra toe (which is true), I was just being a smart ass because I got sick of being told to write on my diversity. There were schools I refused to apply to just because I didn’t like all the mail they gave on increasing diversity for women/hispanics and I was annoyed.</p>

<p>Accepted: UT, Cornell, RPI, CMU, Harvey Mudd, Our Lady of the Lake
Rejected: UTs honor college for engineering, I got into the engineering program but not the honors college. Those were the only schools I applied to, I got really lazy half way through</p>

<p>General Comments: show well-rounded-ness? really just apply to more schools, I had Northwestern, Columbia (which I didn’t think I could get into), MIT, Rice, Tufts, that I never finished the apps to or even started. MIT had too many essays and I should have gotten over that they don’t have theater (I wonder if I could have gotten in at times, but I think no), I didn’t start NW though they gave a free application, I refused to apply to Rice because I was so determined to go out of state and if I got in I would have had to go. I was also kinda bitter with colleges at a time because people kept telling me I’d get in for just being hispanic and female and in my mind it was like “well why the hell was I working so hard? does that mean I deserve it less?”. Oh and schools in California were ones I should have looked into but never did.</p>