Hispanic Students-College Class of 2014

<p>Updating before the last batch of letters/emails start coming in a week</p>

<p>Schools Applied</p>

<p>University of Houston (Accepted - Academic Excellence Scholarship)
University of Texas - Austin (Accepted)
Texas A & M @ College Station (Accepted - NHRS Scholarship)
Rice University (Applied)
Pomona College (Applied)
Georgetown University (Accepted) Visiting
Boston College (Applied)
Tufts University (Applied)
Amherst College (Applied)
Yale University (Applied)
Dartmouth College (Likely Acceptance) Visiting </p>

<p>Congratulations to all!!! I hope everybody gets into the college of their choice and that financial matters are not a restraint to anybody’s dreams</p>

<p>My son is cuban and has been accepted ED2 at Wesleyan. He is also a recruited athlete and very very excited to go to Wesleyan. It was his first choice. </p>

<p>Congrats to all.</p>

<p>so far ive gotten into sdsu, csu long beach, cal poly slo, uc riverside, uc irvine, ucsd, pepperdineand uc berkeley! which im most likely attending next fall. im just waiting on some privates. and I got waitlisted at wesleyan but honestly i dont care. go bears!</p>

<p>Cal alum here, congrats and Go Bears!</p>

<p>D was just awarded the Morrill Prominence scholarship from Ohio State two days ago. She is also in the honors program and likely will attend. She found out today she was accepted to Grinnell and Colby. We have not received Grinnell’s financial aid yet, but Colby did not give her any financial aid at all. She is waiting on Swarthmore, Wellesley, Kenyon and Vanderbilt, but doesn’t have high hopes and suspects they will be unaffordable anyway. The OSU offer is looking fantastic, and I am happy since that is my alma mater and am in Columbus frequently.</p>

<p>Well we have had quiet the roller coaster of emotions in our household. Like Susanr64, my DS won one of the Morrill Scholarships to Ohio State. They said he could keep one of the other scholarships he was awarded for housing so the award is close to $120K plus he too has Honors College. Then the bad stuff-he was rejected at CAL, Northwestern, UVA and Stanford over the past 2 days.</p>

<p>The Northwestern one was painful since my DS had attended LEAD last summer at Northwestern. LEAD is a competitive program for minorities and is suppose to give the student a leg up on admissions to LEAD schools. In fact Northwestern gives them special applications and waives all fees. It is interesting, the AA students from LEAD who applied to Northwestern got into NU while the latinos did not. I don’t think it is intentional but just a painful fact for my son. What is funny is that the Dean of Northwestern wrote my son his recommendation for Morrill scholarship.</p>

<p>UVA was also painful because my DS had developed a nice relationship with one of the admissions deans. Due to LEAD, she too waived his fees and put his application in a separate pile. i know this year is particularly tough for students and I am happy for all the students who got into their reach schools. It just is tough to see my son work hard and make sacrifices in his social life and then not get into a dream school. As he said, just to have one dream school say yes. It also is interesting to see how things work, a fellow Latino student from his HS (who got waitlisted at LEAD while my son got in) has a GPA that is .20 higher than my son, he got into Stanford, Chicago, Georgetown etc. You really see how things are just so close. All schools have reported the largest class ever of applicants and the smallest class of acceptances due to economic issues. </p>

<p>Like Susanr64, my son is still waiting on Yale, Gtown (his first choice), Vanderbilt and USC. He is not hopeful for any of them. However he is recognizing that Honors and an almost full ride isn’t bad. He just figures that he will work hard and try to get into a dream school for graduate school like his parents did (Dad is a Yalie Law grad and I’m a UCLA law grad-we both went to tiny liberal arts colleges undergrad).</p>

<p>Imabeast92-congrats on so many schools especially CAL-go make us proud!</p>

<p>I forgot to congratulate Susanr64-wasn’t it great seeing that email. Plus it just makes so much more sense to go to Ohio State. No money worries for us or our children. Congratulations. Maybe we will meet at orientation.</p>

<p>itsv, two things - I live in Chicago and was recently talking to a friend of my mother’s. She said that two of her children went to Northwestern and one went to Northern Illinois. The most successful of the three? The one who went to Northern Illinois. She’s a CFO of a major corporation in Chicago. My mom’s friend said it burned her up for years paying back the loans for Northwestern when “they didn’t make any more money than anyone else.” Of course, other people’s experiences may be different, but I’ve worked in Chicago for 15 years, and Northwestern=Depaul=UIUC=Northern Illinois=out of state school.</p>

<p>Point #2, when your S is watching OSU play Northwestern in football, he will likely enjoy the pummeling and final score. Not every year, but most years…</p>

<p>Oh, I forgot to mention, D’s school’s valedictorian just got waitlisted at Northwestern.</p>

<p>Thanks Susan and I’ll remind him about Northwestern during the football games. It still is pretty sad around our household this weekend. Son was a AP Scholar, National Hispanic Scholar, LEAD SBI student, won other scholarships for leadership conferences, worked during high school, played sports. He just figured his essays were not good enough. As a parent I am of course sad for my child but agree, kids end up where they should be and think my DS will learn some lessons in all of this.</p>

<p>Just back from spring break trips, I didn’t realize that so many school were releasing decisions before April.</p>

<p>itsv and susan64, congratulations to both of your kids on the Morrill scholarship! It must be a great feeling knowing that they have a financially affordable option at such a great college. </p>

<p>Admissions have become so competitive and tight that only a sliver separates the decision between candidates. And I don’t think there’s any way to make sense of the process unless you’re an adcom sitting around the table. Between demographics and the economy, this year’s kids had a particularly difficult time. </p>

<p>Perhaps a major consolation at this point in time is that their college lists were well thought out and realistic. Whether or not the favorite schools come through in a few days, or if adequate FA will be forthcoming, they are assured excellent options that give them the opportunity to have wonderful UG experiences without burdening debt.</p>

<p>Best of luck to everybody this week!</p>

<p>Things are amazingly competitive; she found out she got waitlisted by Tulane. Oh well. Too expensive anyway.</p>

<p>Congrats to future OSU moms! I am sure you all look great in red! I was hoping to be wearing some scarlet come Fall. Totally agree with Entomom. </p>

<p>DS also got a MOrril but not as generous. Basically with the buckeye award combined with the Morril he has OOS tuition waived so excellent price for excellent education but…he would rather stay instate with full tuition waiver and better art school…I was ok with this but think OSU is a better all around university and told him we should at least attend the accepted student’s social event…the current students and alumni were just great but there was little interest in fine arts and a lot of talk about football and the social life and networking and business opportunities and study abroad and internships and acceptances at top law schools etc…and just not what DS has in mind so we left early…will not happen. State school has a really hideous gold/mustard as school colors…not attractive but great art program.</p>

<p>I am sorry to hear about the rejections too. Last week the UVA results were in and it was terrible…we are in No VA so this is a cheap ivy for us and first choice for most of the top students in the school…I can’t believe who did and didn’t get in… …someone said that one of our presidential scholar nominees was rejected. Luckily S did not apply to UVA (almost certain rejection) but did get into his dream school (Carnegie Mellon) for art and waitlisted for comp sci…this is huge confidence booster for him but very expensive so he may still end up at state school with very good art program… ITSV–tell your son that my S was told he was almost certainly a reject from UVA because he had a C sophomore year but he was accepted into WUSTL…UVA is a weird place…acceptance is almost entirely driven by class rank, it doesn’t accept IB credits and it is absolutely packed with NoVa kids who are pretty cliquish, I think fate has probably been good to your son and he will know that come Fall 10…</p>

<p>Like Entomom says, a good cheap education is very attractive in today’s economy. I tell son he could go to grad school of choice indefinitely (well, at least 4 years) if he goes to instate school for UG. We will wait on all the aid packages but WUSTL is almost a definite no go with no merit aid. RIT has been very generous so still in the running. CMU is dream school but may be better as a grad school option unless a miracle of aid is forthcoming. Waiting on MICA for aid which could complicate things significantly. </p>

<p>Good luck on remaining applications, but for now Go bucks! Go tartans? maybe.</p>

<p>Swarthmore, Vanderbilt, Kenyon, and Wellesley all should arrive today. Fortunately, I think D has decided in her mind to go to OSU; she’s already posting on the class of 2014 Facebook page looking for fellow hikers. I think it’s definitely going to be Go Buckeyes!!</p>

<p>fineartsmom, I know what you mean about the football. That certainly is what it is most known for. It amazed me when I attended OSU that I knew a lot of students who hated football and sports in general. On the good side, the students are not cliquish, something that my D would have a problem with.</p>

<p>famm,
Your situation sounds a lot like what I’m anticipating for D2 next year. While it’s possible that she will get into some reach schools, most are need based FA only and I’m pretty sure we won’t qualify. And though she’s a great kid with many positive accomplishments, the chances of getting substantial merit at schools like WUSTL and Rice are very long shots indeed. There are some LACs with merit that is more within her range, but between their size, location and vibe, they are less desirable. Colorado College is the one that seems like a possibility, and she likes to ski, so that’s a plus. For the larger state schools, OSU and UWisconsin are definite, perhaps also IndianaU and UNC-CH, although the Pogue is likely as hard to get as the Rodiguez at WUSTL. We qualify for WUE at Colorado State, and they offer additional merit scholarships from individual colleges, but only after acceptance. I’ll have to do some more research on that and see if I can find out how many scholarships are given and is they’re for significant amounts of money.</p>

<p>It’s a maze out there, I only wish all schools were transparent about how many merit scholarships they offer, dollar amounts and qualification levels, that would make this process a lot easier to navigate.</p>

<p>^take a look at Mizzou also. D did not receive the George Brooks scholarship, but did receive a diversity award, which waived the non-resident fee and then gave her an extra $2500. She also received something similar from Ohio University. University of Iowa gave her $12,000, which brought tuition down to $10,000, but the offers from OSU, Mizzou and Ohio U were better. She also got, in addition to merit, a $9000 Dimension scholarship from Ohio Northern. Brought tuition down to $4000 plus room and board. Nice school, unfortunately no anthropology major. She applied for diversity scholarships to University of Utah, didn’t get them. That’s ok. We are more than happy with the end result!</p>

<p>Thanks susan, I’ll check those out! </p>

<p>D2 would like to go OOS because we live in the mid-sized town of one of our state schools and only 45 minutes away from the other. But she’s still holding on to the idea of Med school in the future, so that means keeping down UG costs as much as possible. It’s a balancing act, but a good learning experience for one of my favorite rock-inspired life themes:</p>

<p>“You don’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.”</p>

<p>We are still waiting to hear from Brown and USC but those are such reaches that I’ll just post now :). We feel like its all over around here anyway. My daughter applied to 14 schools of all types from all around the country. She wants to major in Biology and study Art so she focused on schools that offered dual majors or had strong departments in both areas. She also wanted happy kids who were less competitive/ more collaborative. She threw in some schools known for good aid for National Hispanic Scholars. She had a 35 ACT, 2210 SAT (700M, 750, 760W) and a 3.87 GPA, took APs and honors classes all 4 years. Her only real leadership was being the Yearbook Editor,she played no sports and she has volunteered in Latin America and Studied art in Europe. She went to a competitive, non ranking school and I imagine she was in the top 1/4 but not in the top 10%. She had 2 C’s in different years/courses. She wrote very good essays but she didn’t submit an art portfolio and I think that hurt some. She also applied for Financial Aid. She is in-state in Texas and applied to UT and Texas A&M. She was accepted to A&M honors with a scholarship for National Merit while UT rejected her. She was also rejected from Boston College and Rice. She got waitlisted at both Emory and WUSTL. Wash U had paid for her to fly out to visit for a Diversity Weekend in the Fall and she had applied for 3 of their scholarships including the Annika Rodriguez- so she had shown a lot of interest. She was accepted to Rhodes with a Presidential Scholarship, Fordham with a full tuition scholarship, Bowdoin with an extremely generous grant, UNC Chapel Hill (still waiting for $ amount), Trinity U ($?) and SLU. I think being hispanic helped her most in the liberal arts colleges because she is not a math/science wizard - just very solid for a girl who is extremely strong in the language arts. She visited UNC and loved it and will go look at Fordham and Bowdoin soon. In retrospect- if the important goal had been to be accepted she should have applied into different majors for the different schools. She would have gotten into Rice or UT perhaps as an art major - but I think it was more honest to present herself as the same student for all the schools and see who appreciated what an odd combo plate she is. It has certainly been an interesting process and we are delighted that she ended up with some lovely options. Her concerns for Fordham are that the core curriculum doesn’t mesh well with pre-med classes and she would be required to take 18-20 hours a semester for the first two years and make a high enough grade to keep the scholarship. UNC the only concern is affordability and Bowdoin may be too cold! So we still have some thinking to do! Best wishes to all and thanks for sharing your information. I hope we can help the class of 2015 in their searches next year!</p>

<p>Hi everyone</p>

<p>Cuban/colombian from Illinois here. Have been accepted at Dartmouth (LL), UChicago, Wustl and Northwestern. Still waiting for JHU (today!), Harvard and UPenn…</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted Class of 2014!!!</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2130 = 690 M, 740 CR, 700 W, 10E
[</em>] ACT: 31C = 30 E, 31 M, 31 S, 32 R, 9E
[<em>] SAT II: 790 US Hist, 800 Spanish, 670 Math 2, 630 English Lit (oops)
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.5 Weighted (I calculated a 3.78 UW)
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 9/79
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 – AP US Hist, AP Spanish Lang 4 – AP English Lang, World Hist, Euro Hist
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): NA
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: 5 APs + Yearbook + Independent Research (class)
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Hispanic Scholar, AP Scholar with Distinction (various UIL, debate, latin, school awrds)
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Baseball, Speech and Debate (Secretary), Spanish National Honor Society, National Honor Society, Principal and Superintendent’s Committee, Model UN, Latin Club, UIL Academics
[<em>] Job/Work Experience: Assistant/Photographer to Wedding Photographer
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: Elem. Tutoring, HS fish camp, UIL judging
[<em>] Summer Activities: above + UH Engineering camp (MESET), Changing the Face of Math and Science (Rice prof’s camp, did it twice), Yearbook Camp
[</em>] Essays: Mediocre
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation: Ok
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Excellent
[<em>] Additional Rec: Good
[</em>] Interview:
[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Deferred SCEA?: NA
[</em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
[<em>] Intended major?: Undeclared
[</em>] State (if domestic applicant): TX
[<em>] Country (if international applicant): USA
[</em>] School Type: Top 100 Public, Small
[<em>] Ethnicity: Hispanic: Mexican
[</em>] Gender: M
[<em>] Income Bracket: Approx 75k
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM
[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: -
[</em>] Weaknesses: -
[<em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: -
[</em>] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected:
Accepted: University of Houston, Texas A&M, University of Texas @ Austin, Rice, Pomona, Amherst, Boston College, Tufts, Georgetown, Dartmouth
Rejected: Yale
[/ul]General Comments: Currently deciding between Georgetown SFS, Dartmouth, and Amherst. </p>

<p>I hope everyone gets to go where they want to go!</p>