Hispanic Students - COLLEGE CLASS of 2016

<p>My DS was informed last Thursday he was awarded NHS. I will keep an eye on this board to share any relevant info. Thanks to those who got this started.</p>

<p>got a waiver to be contacted by schools and solicited from the National Hispanic Recognition Program… hope it helps my chances at the Ivies!!</p>

<p>^^Not sure I understand what the waiver is for?? Did you not qualify for some reason but you’re being put on the list?</p>

<p>Not sure to be honest. My college counselor at school e-mailed me and mentioned that I needed to sign a form saying that it was okay for colleges to get in touch with me. Maybe I didn’t check or fill in the box allowing schools to contact me on the PSAT?</p>

<p>I see. I did have my kids check that it was OK to be contacted, even though I knew it would mean an onslaught of marketing mail from colleges, most of which would be ignored :rolleyes:.</p>

<p>I never knew this forum existed :D</p>

<p>Anyways I’ll probably be the class of 2017 because I want to run XC/track in college and I’ll probably redshirt unless I don’t make the team or something.</p>

<p>Also, on college apps why do they ask if we’re hispanic/latino? Do we get scholarships or something?</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Hispanics, particularly MA and PR, are underrepresented in college compared to their proportion in the US population as a whole. Colleges are interested in increasing the diversity of underrepresented minorities (URMs); URM groups are generally AA, Hispanic and NA, although there are exceptions depending on the group and the school. </p>

<p>Please take a look at the sticky threads and a few of the recent threads for information about being Hispanic in the college admissions process. The Resource sticky thread in particular has information about scholarships, fly-ins, summer programs, etc.; and the NHRP threads discuss scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars.</p>

<p>Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi to all the parents and students who will be applying this year! These are some of the schools I will be applying to this coming spring and in order of favorite to least.

1. University of Notre Dame
  2. Boston College
  3. Cornell University
  4. Loyola Chicago
  5. Santa Clara</p>

<p>I wish everyone has the best of luck and let me know if we have any schools in common on our lists’ it would be great to talk to you all! I will be watching this forum very closely!</p>

<p>Hello Jesuit and welcome!</p>

<p>I hope you have time to check out the Resources sticky thread for scholarships and fly-in opportunities. Enjoy the summer and thanks for participating, this thread should start getting busy once the admissions season begins this fall.</p>

<p>hey I just joined this site and this is actually my first post! I want to say good luck to all the students applying\graduating this year. Also, whatsup with the National Hispanic Recognition Program? I signed a waiver in the spring but when do I know if i get ‘selected’ or not? And does anyone know some average cut-off scores?</p>

<p>Hello and welcome ceviche! </p>

<p>If you were notified this spring, then you made the PSAT cut off, there’s a link to last year’s regional cut offs on the NHRP thread. You will be notified this fall once your gpa and Hispanic background have been found to meet the requirements, see the NHRP thread for the link to the NHRP website, it’s all explained there.</p>

<p>Hi, first of all this is a really useful forum. I was actually wondering how beneficial is it in the admissions process being from Puerto Rico. Even if I dont the best SAT scores. I currently have a 1960 and plan on retaking in October. I have a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Some schools I’m looking at are BC, BU, UVA, UPENN, Fordham, UMICHIGAN,PENN STATE,NYU,and STanford. I know Stanford and UPENN are reaches. But I reiterate my question is being from Puerto Rico a good hook at all these schools? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Students with MA or PR backgrounds are the most underrepresented in US colleges. So yes it is a good hook, but also know that the competition within these groups at the highly selective colleges is very strong.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, I think this is the first time I ever post here…
I am a Brazilian-American rising senior from Santa Monica, CA. I came to the United States on December 2009, but only started school on February 2010, second semester of Sophomore year.</p>

<p>My stats aren’t that great. Despite having straight A’s at school (so far, only 1 B from a French class I took at the local CC last spring), my scores aren’t that good: my SAT (all 3 areas) is 1400 and my ACT composite is 22 (practice test). This year will be the first year I’m taking any AP because I had to take classes for English learners first… :frowning:
About my EC’s, I was member of 3 clubs last year and president of 1, but I’ll be leaving 2 of those 3 to dedicate only to the remaining 2. I also did some volunteering last semester and started working this summer (hopefully gonna carry on with this job 'til the end of this year and beyond!).</p>

<p>These are the schools I’m pretty much applying for:</p>

<p>University of Notre Dame (dream school)
Elon University
Kalamazoo College
SUNY Binghamton
UC Riverside
maybe some Cal States and other UCs</p>

<p>I wonder if it is possible for me to raise my ACT score to 30 by December (last date I can take the ACT, I believe) to become a competitive applicant. I’ve been wondering if all of what I’m doing isn’t a waste of time because of my stats and the stats of the people I’m competing against at pretty much ALL schools that I’m applying…
Oh, and I also wanted to know if being Latino and first-generation college student (I read somewhere that if my parents did not get a degree in the US it means that I’m a first-generation college student) will be of any use when I apply?</p>

<p>Sorry for some many questions and thanks everyone. Good luck to all of us applying to college!</p>

<p>Hello my fellow Hispanic friends. </p>

<p>I’m a 17 y/o from California and interested in applying to Harvard, Stanford, UPenn. Not sure how my chances are but I have my fingers crossed.</p>

<p>Welcome crfcaio & Spiffy!</p>

<p>crf,
Have you seen the threads by silverturtle and xiggi about SAT prep? While a different test, many of the same techniques are likely to help. Hard to say if you can raise it that much, kind of depends on how much time and how vested you are in doing so. One positive point, it’s easier to raise a score at the lower end of the range than at the higher end.</p>

<p>About first gen, it doesn’t matter where your parents attended college, it all counts. Anyway, applications don’t ask “Are you first gen to college?”, but rather you put the college history of your parents (college attended, year, degree earned if any). Then they decide if you fit their definition of first gen, as there are different definitions (any college, completed a degree, etc.)</p>

<p>Finally, you need to understand that the US Census and the CA does not include Brazilians under their definition of Hispanic. Here is what the drop down box shows when the Hispanic box is checked:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>However, there is definitely ambiguity about Brazilians in college admissions, I don’t know about other Hispanic scholarships/programs, but NHRP and Hispanic Heritage Awards include Brazilians in their definition. There are other ways to include your Brazilian background in your application: ECs, essay, Additional Information section, LORs.</p>

<p>just some interesting reading i came across the other day. On average, hispanic students received the equivalent of 185 points on the old (1600-point) SAT, which is almost as much as recruited athletes. Heres the actual study. </p>

<p><a href=“http://opr.princeton.edu/faculty/tje/espenshadessqptii.pdf[/url]”>http://opr.princeton.edu/faculty/tje/espenshadessqptii.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^Interesting, but I would be extremely cautious about such studies, particularly for highly selective schools and particularly for students who are mid/upper SES, college educated parents, do not attend an underserved HS, etc. </p>

<p>There is a big difference between colleges, even for selective ones. For instance, LACs in rural locations who have a difficult time recruiting and retaining URMs are likely to give a bigger break on test scores than the more desirable universities who have a very highly qualified URM application pool.</p>

<p>They are giving averages, across applicants and schools, so the numbers don’t hold for all students at all colleges.</p>

<p>Hey guys. I was born in Peru and moved to Texas when I was 12. Hopefully with my NHRP thingy I can get a full ride or near full ride to Fordham. Visited NYC in spring break and it was fun.</p>

<p>Hi guys, thanks for starting this thread.</p>

<p>I got a 207 on the PSAT and I was never contacted for the NHRP thing. On the other hand, I made the cutoff for National Merit Scholarship. Anyone have any idea why that is?</p>

<p>I’m applying to:
Columbia ED
Kalamazoo EA
Michigan EA
Georgetown RD
NYU RD</p>

<p>My ACT is 32 (35 R, 27 M, 33 E, 32 S, 31 E/W) and SAT is 2080 (750 CR, 660 M, 670 W). GPA UW is 3.744.</p>

<p>It’s good to meet my fellow Hispanics, and I wish you all the best of luck in admissions.</p>

<p>Go college class of 2016!</p>