Hispanic Students Class of 2016 Official Results thread

<p>Decisions are starting to come in! So it's time for an Official Class of 2016 Results thread. </p>

<p>Since there are relatively few members applying this year, go ahead and fill out the information section once (whatever data you feel comfortable providing), and you can then post decisions as they are announced. Future members can then match your results with the applicant information you provided.</p>

<p>Use this thread only for results, there is another thread dedicated to discussion: </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1141659-hispanic-students-college-class-2016-a.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1141659-hispanic-students-college-class-2016-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Just copy/paste the template below and fill in your information. There is no need to delete any spaces.</p>

<p>
[quote]
[noparse]
Objective:[ul]</p>

<p>[li] SAT I (breakdown):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] ACT:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] SAT Subject Tests:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Weighted GPA:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] AP (place score in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] IB (place score in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Senior Year Course Load:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]</p>

<p>[li] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Job/Work Experience:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Volunteer/Community service:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Summer Activities:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Essays (subjects and personal opinions):[list]</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Common App Main Essay:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] EC Short Answer: </p>[/li]
<p>[li] Additional Essay:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Teacher Recommendation 1:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Teacher Recommendation 2:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Counselor Rec:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Additional Rec:</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Other[ul]</p>

<p>[li] State (if domestic applicant):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Country (if international applicant):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Gender:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] School Type:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Country of Origin:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Educational level of parents:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Income level:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Adversity overcome:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Involvement in Hispanic community:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Other hooks (recruited athlete, development, etc.):</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Colleges[ul]</p>

<p>[li] Accepted:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Waitlisted:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Denied:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Likely attending:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Outside scholarships:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Institutional scholarships:</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]</p>

<p>[li] Strengths:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Weaknesses:</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]General Comments:[/noparse]

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Good luck everyone!</p>

<p>Guess I’ll start, although DD has asked that stats not be posted until after the admissions season, which I’ll respect.</p>

<p>Two acceptances in to date:</p>

<p>Loyola University Chicago
Fordham University (surprise early acceptance email today)</p>

<p>^^Great news, congrats to your D!</p>

<p>Please note, I’ve added places to list outside and Institutional scholarships on the template. I think that it’s particularly important for future Hispanic applicants to see the opportunities and stats needed to receive merit based financial assistance.</p>

<p>Good point, entomom!</p>

<p>Loyola Chicago ($14,000/year, $56,000 total, merit scholarship)
Fordham University (scholarships not yet announced)</p>

<p>Three acceptances so far for son:</p>

<p>Univ. of Texas, Dallas (currently semi-finalist for McDermott Scholars Program)</p>

<p>Baylor (currently qualified for Regents Gold; 17K a year; will be attending I2E program
which may open doors to more scholarships)</p>

<p>University of Pittsburgh (waiting on f. aid details)</p>

<p>UTD and Baylor are both NMS $ schools; son’s waiting to find out if he’ll be finalist.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S, wonderful early returns!</p>

<p>Good luck to both your kids while waiting to hear from scholarships, sounds like some excellent opportunities.</p>

<p>our dd has been accepted to The Ohio State University (waiting to hear on honors/scholars and merit scholarships) and Drexel University.</p>

<p>Congrats to your D! </p>

<p>One of our members has as child attending OSU on a merit scholarship, they have some great opportunities for Hispanic students.</p>

<p>Oops, forgot my own rule about posting comments on the Discussion thread. It’s just so exciting to see these early acceptances! I’ll shut up now :D.</p>

<p>I saw this thread and thought I should post.
I have been accepted to four colleges already: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities; UT- Austin; Georgia Tech; Colorado School of Mines.
I am waiting on four more colleges.<br>
I am female, received National Hispanic Scholar, and rank in the top 5% of my class. I am involved in a lot of ECs (there is a long list). I am captain of both the swim team and water polo team; and I was also selected for the Superintendent’s cabinent . Once I have graduated I will have taken 11 AP classes. I have received only 3 Bs in my high school career (about a 3.9 unweighted GPA, 5.3 weighted GPA) . I hold two jobs over the summer (lifeguard and Assistant swim lesson teacher). I have 100+ community service hours. I am musically inclined. I play harp, piano, and sing. (I have been asked to perform at various churches, parties, and other gatherings.) My strength is in Math/Science and weakness is in English. lol
I think that covers most of it. I do not find out about scholarships/financial aid until later this year. Sorry it isn’t in the format as stated earlier.</p>

<p>Adding to my previous post for my son:</p>

<p>U of Pittsburgh-full tuition scholarship with invitation to apply for Chancellor’s (full ride)</p>

<p>I have been accepted to three colleges so far: University of Iowa, University of Missouri and Illinois State University.
Hey Hope4future, did you do the MSP for Ohio State University?</p>

<p>Sorry I meant Hope2help on the MSP at Ohio State University, not Hope4future</p>

<p>@entomom: Thank you for being such a huge source of information!</p>

<p>Here is my son’s stats and his acceptances so far. I hope the info will help out NHRP recipients/parents.</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I: READING (610), MATH (660), WRITING (640) {did not use SAT scores}
[</em>] ACT: COMPOSITE (30), ENG (30), MATH (30), READING (29), SCIENCE (32)
[<em>] SAT Subject Tests: MATH2 (740), PHYSICS (700) {only submitted SAT2 scores to Fordham & Boston College}
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.59
[<em>] Weighted GPA: N/A
[</em>] Rank: N/A
[<em>] AP: WORLD HIST (3), US HIST (3), PHYSICS B (3) {did not submit AP scores}
[</em>] IB: N/A
[<em>] Senior Year Course Load:
AP CALCULUS, AP PHYSICS C, AP BRITISH LITERATURE, AP PSYCHOLOGY, AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, WORLD RELIGIONS, WIND ENSEMBLE, JAZZ BAND, PHOTO 1, PHYSICS T.A.
[</em>] Major Awards: NHRP, NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY, AP SCHOLAR
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars:
-Wind Ensemble; Jazz Band; Marching Band; Private lessons; Grades 9,10,11,12; 16 Hrs/Week;
1st alto saxophone position -Wind Ensemble; 1st tenor saxophone position -Jazz Band; Varsity letter/pin in Marching Band.
-Coordinator / Leader
Faith Formation; Lector Society; Urban Plunge; Junior Encounter; Grades 10,11,12; 5 Hours/Week;
Assists in planning and leading faith-based freshman activities and 9th, 10th, 11th grade retreats; Lector and altar server at Mass.
[</em>] Job/Work Experience:
Lab assistant, Grade 11; 12 Hrs/Week, Total Hours: 192
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service:
-Helped rebuild homes for the Katrina victims in New Orleans, Louisiana. Grade 11; Total Hours: 40;
-Helped distribute food and other necessities to the homeless street people. Grade 11; Total Hours: 12;
-Executive board member/Student Environmental Grant Appropriations; Grades 11; Total Hours: 30; Assisted in decision-making on the distribution of grants going to local environmental projects.
[</em>] Summer Activities:
-Day camp volunteer; Summer Grade 11; 14 Hours/Week; Total Hours: 56;
-Summer Youth Leadership Program, Grade 9; Total Hours: 120; Learned leadership skills, community building, and diversity issues from community and business leaders.
[<em>] Common App Main Essay: Picked an important EC and wrote a heart-felt and revealing essay.
[</em>] EC Short Answer: Music
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation 1: ENG TEACHER - Very Good
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation 2: PHYSICS TEACHER - Very Good
[<em>] Counselor Rec: New counselor, but probably very good rec
[/ul]Other[ul]
[</em>] State: WASHINGTON
[<em>] Gender: MALE
[</em>] School Type: JESUIT CATHOLIC COLLEGE PREP
[<em>] Educational level of parents: Father/BS Engineering; Mother/some college
[</em>] Income level: 120K
[<em>] Other hooks: Music, URM {Filipino /Hispanic}
[/ul]Colleges[ul]
[</em>] Major: PHYSICS - College of Arts & Sciences
[<em>] Accepted:

<p>

</p>

<p>correction:
UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND {President’s Scholarship $68,000 ($17,000/year)}</p>

<p>Update:
Accepted:
Loyola Chicago ($14,000/year, $56,000 total, merit scholarship with invitation to apply to honors and additional scholarship programs)
Fordham University (scholarships not yet announced)
Deferred:
Georgetown University</p>

<p>I have been accepted to three schools: The Ohio State University, Xavier University (Trustee Scholarship $16,000/year), and Washington University in St. Louis (ED). </p>

<p>Looks like I will be attending WashU if all finances work out.</p>

<p>I copied this from the results thread:</p>

<p>Objective:
•SAT I (breakdown): n/a
•ACT: 34
•SAT II (if submitted): n/a
•Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.9something
•Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 1%
•AP (place score in parenthesis): only took the few that were available at my school, scored 3s and 4s with one 5
•IB (place score in parenthesis):
•Senior Year Course Load: dual enrollment at local CC
•Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Commended, NHRP scholar</p>

<p>Subjective:
•Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): very involved though not much leadership
•Job/Work Experience:
•Volunteer/Community service:
•Essays: I thought they were solid but not amazing
•Teacher Recommendation:didn’t see
•Counselor Rec: didn’t see
•Additional Rec:
•Interview: went very well
Other
•Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
•Intended Major: PNP
•State (if domestic applicant): OH
•Country (if international applicant):
•School Type:Public
•Ethnicity: Hispanic
•Income Bracket: not really sure but probably under $100k/year
•Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.): no hooks, just hands (unless you count URM)</p>

<p>Recently accepted to St. John’s College (Santa Fe, NM). FinAid package hasn’t been put together yet as I only recently completed my CSS Profile. I’m so excited though. I’ve been attending a local community college and it’s been years since I was last at a regular 4-year college. Congratulations to everyone else!</p>

<p>My son was accepted into Princeton SCEA. I’ll copy the stats from the Princeton site:</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I: 2320 (800 M, 790 CR, 730 W)
SAT II: 800 Math II; 800 Physics; 730 Literature
GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0/4.84
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5,5,5,5,4 in all math and physics tests</p>

<p>Senior Year Course Load: Optics (physics 406, college),Graduate level Physics research, AP Literature, Dynamical Systems and Real Analysis (graduate level), Arabic 102 (college), Worldviews and Issues, US History (college), AP Chem (self-study)</p>

<p>Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Physics Olympiad Semis (twice); AIME (twice) Ranked about 40th in country for chess for age; National Hispanic Scholar; NMSF; Physics Bowl Team 2nd in Country last year</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Lots of music, church worship and service, chess, math/physics competitions, writing a word book
Job/Work Experience: Math teacher/tutor; physics tutor; violin teacher; freelance violinist (work about 15 hours a week)
Summer Activities: Paid violinist for local company; travel baseball; graduate level physics research; music performances and recordings
Essays: Good
Recommendations: Very good
Interview: Son said it was probably his worst interview</p>

<p>Other
State (if domestic applicant): Ca
School Type: Homeschool
Ethnicity: 1/2 Puerto Rican, 1/2 Caucasian
Income Bracket: Received a lot of aid (income<80k)
Reflection
Strengths: Numbers, teacher recs, diversity and strength of ECs, URM, Submitted an Arts Supplement in violin and athletics (baseball-but not recruited)
Weaknesses: Coursework was lopsided-very top heavy in math and physics and weak in humanities; Not a lot of tests and tests weren’t perfect</p>

<p>Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Overall strength, particularly in math, physics, music</p>

<p>Update:
Update:</p>

<p>Accepted:</p>

<p>Fordham University (updated: full-tuition scholarship)</p>

<p>Loyola Chicago ($14,000/year, $56,000 total, merit scholarship with invitation to apply to honors and additional scholarship programs)</p>

<p>Deferred:</p>

<p>Georgetown University</p>

<p>Last update until … March/April:</p>

<p>Accepted:
Fordham University (updated: full-tuition scholarship)
Villanova University (no scholarship info available yet)
Loyola Chicago ($14,000/year, $56,000 total, merit scholarship with invitation to apply to honors and additional scholarship programs)</p>

<p>Deferred:
Georgetown University</p>