Hispanic Students - COLLEGE CLASS of 2016

<p>Maybe you can’t get both awards? I dunno.</p>

<p>I got a 2030 on my SAT (retaking in October) and I did really well Junior year (I started the year ranked 56 and ended it ranked 39). Hopefully that’s enough for good FA.</p>

<p>Welcome Juan and ajhhs!</p>

<p>ajhhs,
There are several reasons why you might not have been contacted by NHRP, please see post #374 on this thread:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-25.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-25.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You can receive both NM and NHRP, I advise you to have your HS GC contact NHRP immediately.</p>

<p>Juan,</p>

<p>Generally the term FA refers to need-based FA, from Federal funds (FAFSA) and/or Institutional funds (Profile). FA is based solely on financial and related factors. SAT scores, gpa, ECs, etc. are factors that affect merit scholarships. Merit aid maybe based only on these types of factors or can also include financial need. Merit scholarships can be Institutional (come from the college you are applying to) or external (from various foundations, organizations, etc.).</p>

<p>Yeah I meant scholarships. Either way I hope I get that full-ride. Would be nice.</p>

<p>cfrcaio-I have seen brazilian americans treated as URM by some schools. Dartmouth has included some kids from our HS in their summer program for minorities. I am not sure if it is because the students self identified as of african descent or mixed race or if being brazilian-american is seen as a URM by Dartmouth…certainly the ones at our school are typical Brazilians–white/asian/african/ameridian–a real mixture of kids and phenotypes as you must know. Also, note that a lot of schools let kids decide for themselves if they are part of a minority community or are interested in issues of inclusion and allow students to choose to attend diversity weekends, apply for scholarships related to community and diversity issues, etc. based on interest not on race/ethnic categories. </p>

<p>I noticed that our HS considers the hispanic students (ethnic category) as also “native american” by race…it is hte only way a school in northern virginia can have school profile with 40% of the school as native american… Perhaps our school also identifies all kids with caribbean and/or brazilian heritage as african-americans–we have dozens of kids from Brazil, Portugal and africa that come from portuguese speaking homes. Obviously, with such diverse immigration patterns in south america putting south americans into one or two racial groups is gross simplification–like assuming all students who come from Boston are irish or italian americans…or, if you are from Minnesota you must be of swedish heritage…sometimes the whole race/ethnicity thing in the US just seems plain silly.</p>

<p>did anyone go to the columbia university multicultural recruitment committee open house september 10th?</p>

<p>Just curious…does anyone know how many students (approximately) will be named National Hispanic Scholars this year?</p>

<p>From the College Board website:
Each year, the NHRP identifies nearly 5,000 of the highest-scoring students (from a nationwide total of more than 200,000 juniors) in the United States and U.S. Territories who take the PSAT/NMSQT and designate themselves as Hispanic/Latino.</p>

<p>Some will likely not reply or not qualify for Scholar designation due to gpa. I don’t think I’ve ever seen NHRP give an actual number of Scholars.</p>

<p>Thank you for the information. Unfortunately our daughter missed being named National Merit Semi-finalist by ONE POINT, so we are really looking forward to hearing the announcement of NHRP to get back to the positive :slight_smile: I think I read late September for the students to be notified?</p>

<p>@hope2help
My daughter is a National Achievement Semi-Finalist in NY and was told the official announcement will be made on September 28th. I suspect (though am not certain) that the NHRP announcement will be made around the same time. Good luck, though I’m certain your D will be a semi-finalist (highest cutoff last year was 193). I know the waiting stinks…</p>

<p>My son is 1/2 Hispanic (my side) but we won’t be applying for financial aid because he already earned a full outside scholarship. Will he still be considered a URM even though we won’t be applying for aid?</p>

<p>^^Yes he will still be considered Hispanic, FA status does not affect ethnic category. Congrats on his scholarship!</p>

<p>So I am an NHRP person and Fordham sent me a letter saying I’d be considered for a full ride if I am in the top 5% of the applicants. Being interested in Fordham, I am happy.</p>

<p>I want to know what “top 5%” of applicants has been for Fordham in the past years. Does anyone know? Does anyone know any NHRP that got a full ride?</p>

<p>I’d suggest you call up whoever deals with diversity recruitment or scholarships at Fordham.</p>

<p>My son got his first acceptance. Not sure if this is the right place to talk about acceptances, rejections, etc.</p>

<p>Congrats to your S, the first is always sweet!</p>

<p>I think this is a great place for updates on the application process, including decisions. </p>

<p>Please let me know if anyone in the Class of 2016 wants me to start an Official Decisions thread. If so, I will post a template that folks can use, much like the ones used on the individual college forums. These types of Decision threads are often helpful to students in future years as it gives them some data to work with. Here on this forum, we could also include information such as country of origin, low SES, first gen, etc. to give a better idea of how an applicant might have been assessed by admissions committees. While it is not necessary to supply ALL the information on the template, this kind of thread is only useful if some of the candidate’s stats, the names of colleges and the final decision are given. So it is really up to the individual members of the current class if they are willing to disclose this type of data.</p>

<p>I’m not sure how many 2012/2016 posters are on CC. It seems like a smaller class than last year. I’m ok with posting stats but I’ll defer to you and others.</p>

<p>Thanks for starting the decision thread, entomom! I think we owe it to those future students, since we have benefited from those who came before us.</p>

<p>Recently got accepted to 2 schools. :slight_smile:
I won’t be posting stats until I receive my final decision. Hope that is okay, entomom.</p>

<p>Not a problem, any information members want to contribute is appreciated.</p>

<p>Congrats LCB on 2 early acceptances!</p>