Hispanic Students - COLLEGE CLASS of 2016

<p>I am half hispanic as well. Act score of 33… ranked in top 4% … do I have any chance at Stanford RD?</p>

<p>Hola! I am a Latino born in NJ (Ecuadorian-American and Dominican-American; my dad is from Ecuador and my mom is from the Dominican Republic) and a senior in high school. I am applying to these 8 colleges:</p>

<p>Brown
Harvard
Columbia
Cornell
Rutgers
Rensselaer
Johns Hopkins
NYU</p>

<p>I know this a pretty ambitious list. I applied to Rutgers EA and I already found out that I have been accepted! My highest SAT score thus far is a 1970 (I am retaking it in December) and I have a GPA of 99.575 (my school has a weird GPA system but I think my GPA would be a 4.0 or close to it like a 3.99). I am ranked #1 in my class though I go to a very small public high school. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any Hispanic scholarship websites for me to look at (my parents need any money that I can get)?</p>

<p>Welcome anonymous and id48!</p>

<p>anonymous, </p>

<p>I’m not big on Chances, but would recommend you:</p>

<p>Take a look at old posts here to see how Hispanic students faired in past years, see links to Results threads in the Resources sticky thread.</p>

<p>Look at past S Results threads for Hispanic applicants.</p>

<p>Read my links in this thread to learn more about how college admissions works for Hispanic applicants:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229261-nervous-about-ivies.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229261-nervous-about-ivies.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>id48, </p>

<p>Please see the Resources sticky thread, there are links to a pretty comprehensive list of NHRP and outside scholarships. I would also recommend you look for schools where your stats put you into the top of the applicant pool (safeties and matches) for merit scholarships.</p>

<p>You should both also look at the Resources thread for fly-in opportunities.</p>

<p>Congrats to all who posted recently on the Results thread, some wonderful schools and merit dollars to boot!</p>

<p>Wondering if anyone has good news to report on EA/ED schools…</p>

<p>I do. I got into Fordham with a full tuition schoalrship based on the NHRP award and my GPA (which was 3.7).</p>

<p>Excellent news, congratulations! Are you happily looking forward to life in NYC or will you be applying to RD schools too?</p>

<p>I am applying to Columbia RD but even if I got in I would probably not get as much money. I will most likely attend Fordham (though I am not sure if I should accept my offer yet), especially because I am doing their 5 year engineering program with Columbia so I’ll end up there anyway!</p>

<p>Congratulatons, TheJuan! Well done!</p>

<p>Wouldn’t you think you’d get great aid at Columbia based on your income? Aren’t the Ivies supposed to have great support for lower income families?</p>

<p>My son will likely be a NHRP scholar next year. He is very interested in Fordham. Does anyone know if he needs to take the SAT to qualify for the free tuition scholarship for NHRP finalists? Thank you.</p>

<p>omzac - To be an NHRP Scholar, your son will need to achieve the cutoff for your region, and have above a 3.5 (weighted) GPA. </p>

<p>Assuming he achieves that, then he will need to apply to Fordham as any other applicant would, through the Common App. That would need to include SAT/ACT score, etc. etc. </p>

<p>Please review the SemiFinalist Scholarship information on the Fordham site ([Traditional</a> Rose Hill and Lincoln Center Fordham University Aid](<a href=“http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financial_a/undergraduate_studen/types_of_financial_a/traditional_rose_hil_2158.asp]Traditional”>http://www.fordham.edu/tuition__financial_a/undergraduate_studen/types_of_financial_a/traditional_rose_hil_2158.asp)).</p>

<p>Thanks for you reply, chessysmom.</p>

<p>So many wonderful recent acceptances over on the Results threads. Congrats to all students and parents, great schools, fantastic merit scholarships, many excellent choices for this spring. </p>

<p>To those who were accepted early and are finished with the process, well done, enjoy the rest of your sr year!</p>

<p>@sbjdorlo: Yes, but I am not sure if I could get in!</p>

<p>@omzac: having the NHRP is not enough for that Fordham scholarship. Make sure your son has a good SAT score (mine was 2160) and a great GPA/course load. In the website they say tey only give it to “top” applicants who are NHRP. </p>

<p>Fordham’s really trying to increase its rank (and doing nicely at that), so it will be harder to get into/more selective than previous years. But this also means that they place more importance on GPA/SAT than say, the top 15 schools AND they will reward high-scoring students with scholarships. Make sure your son especially excels in that department.</p>

<p>@ The Juan Soto: Thanks for your input. Good luck with all your future endeavors!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>@TheJuanSoto - You have posted on different threads, such as [here[/url</a>] and [url=<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1260550-full-ride-vs-recognition.html]here[/url”>Full ride vs. recognition - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums]here[/url</a>], saying that you are not a citizen and an H-4 Visa holder. </p>

<p>According to the [url=<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Scholarships and Recognition with PSAT/NMSQT - SAT Suite]NHRP</a> info page on College Board](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/fordham-university/1259022-scholarships.html]here[/url”>Scholarships - Fordham University - College Confidential Forums):
NHRP Eligibility Requirements
… Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. If you are a permanent resident, you must possess, or be in the process of obtaining, a visa or green card, …</p>

<p>On the PSAT answer sheet, there is an area under the heading “Questions to Determine Entry to National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) Programs” that asks “Are you a citizen of the United States?” The answer choices are:

• Yes
  • No, but I am a U.S. lawful permanent resident (or have applied for permanent residence, the application for which has not been denied) and intend to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law.
  • No</p>

<p>Based on your status, you cannot be a National Hispanic Scholar, and this was pointed out to you last December by [url=<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1260550-full-ride-vs-recognition.html]mom2collegekids[/url”>Full ride vs. recognition - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums]mom2collegekids[/url</a>].
Since you did receive NHRP designation, you must have incorrectly chosen either answer #1 or answer #2. Furthermore, H-4 Visa holders are considered international applicants in the college application process.</p>

<p>Windowstoheaven:</p>

<p>Juansoto has previously said he is in the process of obtaining a green card and if I read the NHRP requirements that would allow him to qualify for NHRP status. Since I am the original OP to the NHRP thread a few years ago I remember some schools being a bit more flexible in awarding NHRP scholarships regardless of citizenship. At this moment I don’t recall Fordham’s status on it from my previous research but I do remember seeing some flexibility by some colleges.</p>