Honors Action

What UA Honors Action Program did you find the most interesting? What would you say are the pros and cons of the three programs: AA, OA and Black Belt?

DS did the Outdoor Action. Any of the programs are a great start to the school year - move in early and meet other honors students.

Outdoor Action had them working in a nearby state park. They also did a day of canoeing. And I saw pictures of some of the student with snakes and other critters.

Alabama Action worked with a local elementary school - painting inside and doing grounds work.

I don’t remember what BlackBelt Action did, but I believe they took a bus to a nearby town to help with a community park.

Highly recommend any of the three programs!

My DD did Outdoor Action as well. It really helped her transition into school and she had a wonderful time. It is hot and humid here in August so the canoeing was a great way to cool off.

My advice would be to choose the program which interests you the most. You’ll meet great people in each program and do lots of community service. Note that Alabama Action can involve outdoor activities depending on which tasks are being done at the school.

You can’t go wrong with any of the three. Black Belt Action is a smaller group (around 30 students), if you would prefer that setting. BBA goes to Marion, AL, a high-poverty area, every day to assist the community there. In August 2014, they spent a lot of their time working to prepare a Head Start program’s building to open (worked inside and outside), and spent time with community leaders. Alabama Action is typically the largest with around 225-250 students; Outdoor Action is smaller…maybe around 80-90? My son didn’t at all mind the daily bus/van rides to Marion each day (M-F). All three groups do have many evening and weekend activities/meals together. Highly recommend Honors Action.

Just remember that these groups have a limited size, so it is important to register and pay as soon as the programs open up.

It has been several years since my student did “Outdoor Action” but I remember that in addition to the week of “action” there was a book to read prior to the program and a paper/notebook type entries? to complete afterwards. Perhaps someone who has a student who has completed this program more recently can give input as to that component. Students also earn one credit towards their first semester.

The required reading for Alabama Action (not sure about Outdoor Action) is a book called “Habitudes: The Art of Leading Others.” You also have to undergo a background check since the volunteer site is at an elementary school.

^^^ There is an academic component to these programs since college credit is earned for Outdoor Action, Alabama Action and Black Belt Action. You must be an accepted Honors College Student to participate.
Camp 1831 is a 3 day program which does not earn college credit. It is open to any freshman or transfer student.

I am a freshman and I participated in Alabama Action this past fall. My best advice is chose what suits you best. I chose alabama action because my roommates were doing it. Poor choice on my part. I would have enjoyed outdoor action much more. However I did make a lot of friends and it was still worth it. But remember to pick your favorite and do not worry that you do not know anyone doing it. All my friends did outdoor action and loved it.

Registration for Honors Action opens up on Monday.

Anyone know what time??

Honors Action sign-up/registration is now live.

How quickly will the outdoors action fill up? My son is in school today and won’t be home until about 7pm?

You are perfectly fine on OA or any of them as long as you register within the first week or so.