Alabama/Outdoor Action Question

<p>I definitely plan on applying to one of the Action programs from the Honors College because I think it sounds like fun and I love to help people out. One thing I noticed though, was that there seems to be a limit on the number of participants (150 and 80, respectively) for each program. Does anyone have any idea how selective these programs are in the application process? How likely is one to get turned down?</p>

<p>I don’t think they are selective as long as the criteria are met (incoming freshman to the Honors College… can’t think of any other). I believe they fill up on a first-come, first-served basis, so you might want to submit your application as soon as it is available.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip! I was planning on that, but I don’t know when exactly the application opens. When I emailed the Honors College about it earlier this year they only stated that it would be late spring.</p>

<p>Two years ago, when my D was a HS senior, someone posted on CC that the app was live. We got it in the mail the next day (you have to send a check). I don’t remember when it was exactly.</p>

<p>You have to send a check before they send you the application?</p>

<p>We sent the check with the application.</p>

<p>I thought this past year the process was different and you could pay online? Or at least you signed up online to hold your spot and then sent in payment? Maybe a parent of a frosh who did the program can answer? Not that it means it will be the same for the 2014 sign-up.</p>

<p>Here is last year’s link: [Honors</a> Action | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/honors-action/]Honors”>Honors Action – honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Don’t forget about the new program, Black Belt Action:</p>

<p>Black Belt Action</p>

<p>Black Belt Action is a new, week-long service-learning program designed to provide approximately 30 incoming freshmen the opportunity to engage in service projects in Alabama’s Black Belt, a region stretching across the middle of state named for its rich black soil, history, and culture. This year, Black Belt Action will consist of three projects that will take place in Marion, Alabama. While each student will be assigned to a specific partnership and service project, all participants of Black Belt Action will engage in common programming with the entire group (i.e., breakfasts, lectures, dinner, evening activities). Freshmen receive one hour of Pass/Fail UH 103 credit for their fall semester.</p>

<p>Fall 2013 – I signed DS up on-line the day it opened. Besides learning about the opnening here, I believe DS was sent an e-mail too. He forgot to mail the check immediately – That was sent a week later. He got into OA.</p>

<p>thoughts if you are deciding between the programs – </p>

<p>OA is smaller. Much easy to get know each other, but the real perk was the dinner in the Natural History Museum with the faculty. Dean Sharpe had conversations with each student; Many of the other Deans also had conversations. I think it was 2-3 Deans/Department Heads per table.</p>

<p>AA was very large, but the kids break out into small work groups. AA had dinner in one of the stadium boxes.</p>

<p>Both were physical and hot work.</p>

<p>If you are out of state, don’t forget to consider Camp 1831.</p>

<p>Freshman son is still meeting his AA group for informal dinners, movies, etc. Great way to make early friendships. And Camp 1831 participants have had “reunion” social events too.</p>

<p>I’d heard of Camp 1831, but it only has this relatively vague description:

</p>

<p>I feel like I’d like the outdoor action better. From what I’ve heard, it reminds me of the mission trips I’ve taken with my youth group. I enjoy busting out the power tools and getting stuff done. Although, eating dinner in a stadium box sounds cool too… :P</p>

<p>I think you can do Camp 1831 and OA or AA. Not sure what you would do between the programs. With OA or AA you need to be in the Honors College. You also get 1 credit of honors credit with OA or AA.</p>

<p>(All the following info is from last year)
When is Camp 1831 offered?
Two sessions are offered during summer 2013. Students can choose from either session until they are full.<br>
Session 1: August 6-8, 2013
Session 2: August 12-14, 2013</p>

<p>The 2013 Action Programs begin Sunday, August 11, 2013 and conclude Friday, August 16, 2013. Participants will move into their residence halls on August 8th – 11th, as designated by the UA Office of Housing and Residential Communities.</p>

<p>How do the Camp 1831 sessions correlate with move-in?
Housing and Residential Communities may allow you to move in early before your camp session. You do not have to move in on these dates. You can elect to move in on your original assigned date. You will indicate your interest in early move in on your registration.</p>

<p>Housing move-in (drop-off of move-in items) for Session 1 is on August 6 at 8am.
Housing move-in for Session 2 is on August 9, all day.</p>

<p>Since the space is limited in each program, it was always first come first served. I don’t think that has changed. Check each respective webpage periodically to stay on top of the application(s) opening dates.</p>

<p>Camp 1831 was new August 2013. I think it is vague because it is still developing. </p>

<p>Camp 1831 had 2 sessions this year. Some students do the early Camp 1831 session and then did OA or AA. So you can do both.</p>

<p>OA had 1 very physical day, but the rest of the time was a more sedate pace to my son. </p>

<p>Any of the programs are great plus the early move-in perk!</p>