Black Belt Action (Honors College Program for incoming freshmen)

<p>Have any of your students participated in this program and what did they think of it? My son is trying to choose between Alabama Action and Black Belt Action. Both programs (for August 2014) are still open at the moment. Thank you.</p>

<p>amy9998, you might not get feedback about BBA on CC. Last year was it’s first year and they limited the number of students that could participate. They had a fantastic week. Feedback from the students was very positive.</p>

<p>Both BBA and AA are very good programs. AA is much larger and I believe all of the activities are in Tuscaloosa. They work mostly in the schools. The BBA work is done in the Black Belt of Alabama and focuses on the needs of this economically disadvantaged part of the state. </p>

<p>He can’t go wrong with either program!</p>

<p>I thought BBA was restricted to University Fellows, but not sure how/why I had that impression. BBE (E for “experience”) is a UF thing…Maybe that’s why I thought that.</p>

<p>aeromom, Black Belt Action is for any Honors College student. You are correct, the BBE is only for University Fellows. I agree, it has confused many people. </p>

<p>Here is the link describing all three programs, for those who need it: <a href=“Honors Action – honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama”>http://honors.ua.edu/honors-action/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My DS went to BBA last year. It is very similar to AA in terms of projects but it’s not local. You ride a bus to Marion county and do work there. They often have nightly activities with the AA students. AA is a much larger group, 150, to BBA’s 30. </p>

<p>Thanks, all. I told him that I personally would not be too thrilled about the ride to Marion each morning and night … but he liked the idea of it being a smaller group (plus, he met one of the student leaders this week and was inspired). So we’ll see… can’t go wrong with any of those programs I guess!</p>

<p>DS has signed up for Black Belt Action!</p>

<p>Who else is attending UA’s Honors Action program called Black Belt Action? Shoot me a PM if your incoming freshmen son or daughter is signed up for this… Thanks!</p>

<p>Just checking back here to see if any other incoming Honors students are signed up for Black Belt Action, which starts on August 10th…? I believe it is a group of about 30 students.</p>

<p>One more time…Does anyone on this forum have a student signed up for Black Belt Action, which starts on August 10th? There are 26 freshmen students (plus about 9 student leaders) participating in this particular Honors Action program. They will be doing community service projects in Marion, Alabama from August 11 through 15.</p>