Honors Bamabound 1--Comments,Suggestions

<p>Yes lisa6191 that does appear to be correct, and having the time to now look more deeply and not feel rushed it is a great way to tweak the schedule. I grabbed an honors econ section for him when I figured this out today (as there weren’t too many seats left), but have told S now he can keep looking for the seminar sections he would be most interested in, and if he wants to try and move that 8:00am lab ha-hah. </p>

<p>Tomorrow means just new seats and/or new sections. This is looking better all the time :)</p>

<p>Wife and I stayed at Wingate - it was very good for the price, got it off Hotwire and it’s about 20 mins to get to the Ferg lot from there.
As someone mentioned the kids don’t get any real one on one time with an advisor and that would have helped. We left with an ok schedule but we heard many times there are plenty of chances to tweak it later.
I was a little annoyed when my D came out with only 13 hours. She AP’d out of at least ENG 101 and all of the 9hrs of history type classes so I wanted her to move down one of the later year Humanities classes. She had picked one that was full and then tried to sign up for Span but was told that carried her to 17 hours and the scholarship would need an exception for that. Also told that having Honors Calc I would make 13 enough of a load.
I’d tell any parent going to encourage, in your own way, your child to really review their major’s (or intended major) flowchart. Because once the kids get into actual selection sessions the classes fly off the board. She got moved (and delayed) because the room they took her to was over booked. BUT… as others have said there is time to add\drop so it is not the end of the world if they don’t get everything in the time slots they want.</p>

<p>Sounds like advisors need a tutorial on specs of various scholarships, esp. for HBB.</p>

<p>Could be, one of the things we’ve coached my D on is she is not very assertive. She made have been dealing with an Avanti, not advisor as both were milling about and miss understood. She told me things were filling up quickly and knew she could spend some time researching another good elective and add it later.
Her major has some 16-18 hr semesters in 3rd and 4th year so I convinced her that pulling a class down to fill in for English would pay off later. Hopefully she’ll find something over the summer.</p>

<p>13 credit hours (honors or no honors) is NOT too large of a load. Most majors will require you to take on average 15 hours per semester in order to graduate in 4 years.</p>

<p>txdad13 - I don’t know if this is relevant, but a much overlooked class (IMO), based on low enrollment over previous semesters is SW205 (Honors History of Social Welfare in the US). It will be useful for my S: honors credit + H/SB attribute taken care of. There are apparently no prereqs for the class, and the section is limited to 15 students. At the moment there are 5 seats left, which I find hard to believe.</p>

<p>Aeromom - thanks, she’s starting to look at classes she didn’t even think about (like the one you mentioned - very specific and far from her Eng major) as a way to get a humanities credit. My biggest annoyance of the BB was someone telling her 13 was ok since she is taking honors Calc and not to go to 17 with Spanish to start on her HU track. I consider her 13 a soft number since 1 hour is Outdoor action and 1 is Intro to Mech Eng that only lasts a month. So at the end of Sept she’ll technically be in 11 hours of classes with 2 of those being labs. I just would have expected the advisor to consider that and it seems they didn’t.</p>

<p>Also, I do not believe (unless things have changed) that 17 credit hours requires ‘approval’ at BB. For those on the eng’g ‘top up’ scholarship, I do know the Eng’g Dept last year had to go in and manually adjust the Student Account for anything over 16 hours in order for the scholarship to pay for this “overage”, so maybe that is what the advising person was taking about? In my S’s case, his course registration page currently says anything over 18 credit hours requires dept approval (not sure if that is because of scholarship reasons or for some other reason relevant to his degree or his status or his GPA??? - he is on Pres, not NMF). </p>

<p>Several people have mentioned that you can take up to 20 hours per semester (on the full scholarship). A Freshman probably wouldn’t want to take all 20, but 16-18 hours is perfectly do-able, esp if 2, as you say, are finished basically early on in the semester.</p>

<p>There is some [unofficial] precedent that UA’s presidential and NMF scholarships will cover an unlimited number of credits per semester provided that one can get a dean to approve that many credits. One needs an override when taking 18+ credits. For the first semester, I wouldn’t recommend taking over 17 credits. Many students take 12-13 credits their first semester to help with the transition to college life or if they plan to participate in any activities, such as pledging, band, or NCAA athletics, which require a large time commitment.</p>

<p>I echo a lot of the comments here regarding bb session 1. frustration at not having brought breakfast food for day 1, wishing for time with an engineering advisor, etc. But, to some degree that is life, and we made it through. the main value for my son was visiting the campus for the first time knowing this is his college. even though we had visited many times before, this time WAS different. He loved UA and it felt great.</p>

<p>The only thing not mentioned already in terms of suggestions for us is that for honors bb sessions, I think the financial aid presentation should either be joined by a scholarship info session or replaced by one.</p>

<p>^ Not every Honors College student receives a scholarship, as the Honors requirement of HS GPA of 3.3 (plus ACT of 28) is lower than the automatic scholarship requirement of 3.5 GPA.</p>

<p>From personal experience, and knowing my S, I would not advise anyone attempt 17 hours the first semester of their freshman year. Sure, it can be done, but why subject yourself to that abuse? Regardless of how smart your student is, or how mature they are, college is also to be enjoyed! If they are juggling 17 hours in the fall, they will be stressed out when so much is going on around them (like Football!)</p>

<p>My daughter is registered for 17 hours and plans to rush. Her schedule looks incredibly easy to us…it includes CS 102 which seems to be universally regarded as the easiest class on campus (and only meets for 1 hour a week), and GBA 145 (which we understand could be dropped, but we thought it might be informative).</p>

<p>You can always drop classes (up to roughly half way through the semester - check exact dates on the academic calendar)…but you can’t add classes after 1 week of the start. Many of your kids are high-stat, high-achieving, high-involvement, uber Studenten in HS. There is no reason that can’t continue in college. You usually hit what you aim at: aim high in life is always my recommendation! </p>

<p>Ok, that was perhaps too glib. If you withdraw within 1 week of the start of the semester, there are no consequences whatsoever. If you withdraw anytime after that, up until the mid-way point, a “W” will show up on your transcript, which you may or may not want on there. Students usually can figure out once they get a syllabus on Day 1, whether something is going to be too time consuming for them to handle with all of their other classes. Go for it!!!</p>

<p>Yes, I think it is important to consider what classes the student is taking - I doubt a freshman would want to take 17 hours of engineering/math/science classes, but if some of the hours are from AA/OA, honors year one freshman connections, easy intro classes, etc. I would guess it is fine. S will end up with 17.5 but at least 3-4 of them should be pretty easy.</p>

<p>On a different note - Intro to Mech E is only for a month?? That’s brilliant! I can’t imagine what they will do in CS 121 for a whole semester…although Dr. Cordes teaches that class and we really liked him, so S will probably enjoy that.</p>

<p>Last year my S began his freshman year registered for 19 hours. 1 of those was for Outdoor Action, so after explaining what the course was to his advisor, he was able to get an override to register. To me his schedule looked EASY - he was taking a 100 level course to fill his SN requirement (geography, I believe), but knew it’d be easy for him, he was taking the freshman engineering courses, he was (retaking) Calc I - he’d scored high enough on his AP test, but wanted to retake to make sure he had a good foundation, he was taking a 300 level Spanish course, which for him was his ‘fun’ course, and he was taking the IHP course which provided honors credits and filled a SB requirement. </p>

<p>As far as difficulty he didn’t struggle, but he was overwhelmed with the amount of ‘busy work’ in 2 of his courses. His calc prof required graded homework most nights that he was spending a lot of time on, although for him it was just review work and IHP required outside activities and more work than he’d anticipated. About mid semester he talked to me about dropping IHP. After considering his arguments, I told him that if he dropped IHP, he’d have to take it at a later time or find another way to earn the honors/SB credits, however he already had credit for calc and if he were to drop it instead, there’d really be no consequence. </p>

<p>So, after thinking about it, he dropped calc about mid-semester and did get the W on his transcript (although has credit for the course). He wound up with a 4.0 for the semester and went into calc II second semester and had no problems.</p>

<p>So, although the schedule looks (and may be) easy, until students see how much time is actually required outside of class, it’s difficult to say. So sign up, wait to get syllabi and see how demanding the classes are and there’s always the option to drop if it turns out to be too demanding.</p>

<p>OMG!!! Got home and had an email waiting saying that all of my daughter’s classes that she registered for today have been cancelled! They said she may register at any time. What happened? Help!!!</p>

<p>whyme1, I’ve never heard of that. Try registering her again for those same classes. If it doesn’t let you, I assume you will some kind of error message that will tell you what’s going on. Otherwise I think you’ll have to call UA and inquire.</p>

<p>Whyme, did they cancel your daughter’s schedule (disenroll her from the classes she registered for) or were the classes themselves actually cancelled? I would try to reregister her but also call the registrar’s office at the first opportunity to find out what’s happening. I’ve heard of a schedule being cancelled if it’s not confirmed (i.e., bill paid), but bills aren’t out yet so it wouldn’t be that. Good luck; I hope she’s able to get this straightened out and get back into her desired classes.</p>

<p>Thank you for your replies. Her registration status is good, and she was able to get back into two of her classes, but the ones we went to great effort to attend Bama Bound to sign up for are closed. She got an email from the registrars office an hour after her advising schedule that said they had cancelled her from all of her claasses, but she was free to re register! I have no idea why this happened. We were travelling so did not get the message until after the office had closed. I already have phone messages into the registrars office (a little teary!). As my name states why me!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for caring!</p>

<p>Oh my! I’ve never heard of that either. What exactly did the email say? I’m just grasping at straws here since bills haven’t come out and there wouldn’t be a reason for her schedule to be cancelled there. Did she use her personal computer or a public one to register? Is there any possibility she didn’t log out once she registered? That’s really bizarre. I know there were some technical issues with some summer classes as they opened on Tuesday. I’d contact someone as soon as possible to see what is going on.</p>