Honors Day 2018

Did anyone attend the first Honors Day on February 2nd? I’m planning on going to the second one and am wondering what to expect. Can anyone share their experience? How was the interview and information sessions?

I attended the first Honors Day session on February 2nd. I’m not going to say much because we were told not to as it could give people attending the second session an unfair advantage.

This was the first of my college visits, so I don’t have anything to compare Honors Day to, but I enjoyed the information sessions they had. What has been shared by Cal Lutheran is true, the interviews are just to get to know you better, they don’t ask questions to confuse you.

I can maybe give more information on specific details that won’t give anyone an unfair advantage, sorry that I can’t tell you all about it!

@avocadosam Was there a mock lecture? Saw something about it on the website.

Do they tell you what time your interview is in advance? I want to see if I can squeeze in time to meet with Disability Services somehow, but I don’t want it to conflict with any activities on Honors Day.

What did you think of the campus and the people there?

Were you interviewed by a faculty member like a professor or admissions office staff?

My parents received the email to RSVP for the parent portion of the event. Know anything about it? Are parents not supposed to accompany their child to each activity (except the interview)?

Yes there was a mock lecture! I found it very interesting and I would like to continue exploring the topic of the lecture in Cal Lu’s Honors Program.

You get your schedule at the start of the day when you check in. A lot of people had an hour or two between activities, so I’m sure you’ll be able to meet with Disability Services. You could probably send an email to someone to make sure there is an appointment available for you, or you could check with the Honors Day staff when you’re there.

I haven’t visited any other college campuses yet, so I don’t have anything to compare Cal Lutheran to, but I liked the campus. The surrounding area is beautiful, with the hills and climate of Southern California, which is very different from where I’ve lived all my life in the Midwest. The campus is located in a suburban setting, but it seems like there’s enough stuff to do nearby. It felt safe to me, at least during my one day experience. The faculty was very friendly, they could tell that I was visiting and made sure I was having a good time and showed me where to go so I wasn’t lost. I only spoke to a couple enrolled students, but they seemed nice. I don’t know where you’re from, but I felt a bit different/left out from the other prospective students because I don’t live in California currently (about 80% of current students are from CA.). I’m sure I’ll adjust to that fine, but it was different. I’m not sure how to explain it.

My interview was with a faculty member who I’ve never met or spoke to before.

My parents attended the parent’s program, and I think they enjoyed it. Whether your parents attend the program or not, you will be without them all day of the event, from about 8am to 4pm. My parents were there to drop me off and were there when I checked out, but I was with other students or by myself the rest of the day. The parents program doesn’t last all day, so they could find something to do in Thousand Oaks or nearby to explore the area. (Unless you live in the area, not sure what other students’ parents did to occupy the time from noonish to 4pm.)

Received an additional $2,500 per year. Anyone else receive anything?

$6000 per year. $30000 in total