Honors dorms: Hillcrest or East Ambler-Johnston

<p>What are the honors dorms at VT like, as far as personality/style/etc. go?</p>

<p>I have heard that Hillcrest is "far away" from campus (and, quite unsurprisingly, at the top of a hill). Does is this bothersome for someone taking mainly engineering classes?</p>

<p>I'm seeking input as to what the differences between these dorms are, and reasons on why people prefer each one.</p>

<p>I haven’t seen the two dorms personally, but the general consensus seems to be that the East AJ has nicer amenities (it’s the newer building), but the rooms are smaller than Hillcrest. I never really hear many complaints about the walking distance from Hillcrest though. </p>

<p>I’m in Honors: Do EAJ. </p>

<p>The walk from HIllcrest to the academic side of campus is a little longer, but not by much. Plus, there is a bus that would pick you up in front of Hillcrest and take you to the academic side in less than five minutes; so walking shouldn’t be much of a concern</p>

<p>The reason I say do EAJ is because of a few reasons: the personalities of HIllcrest students are very homogenous; they’re all super straight edge (they often look down upon students who party, drink, and have casual sex), which I guess isn’t a bad thing if you’re that type of person too; the vast majority of them aren’t engineers, so if you’re looking to do a study session with classmates you’re going to have to go to another dorm anyways; and on top of that, it’s isolated from the rest of the dorms. Hillcrest literally has a couple administrative buildings between it and the next dorm. </p>

<p>If you want to meet honors students and just honors students, then do Hillcrest. I remember speaking to a couple Hillcrest residents at my first honors dinner and I asked them why they chose to live there. One common reason was that they wanted to be in a living community surrounded by just honors students. That sounds great and for some that’s all they need, but I feel like they’re missing an essential part of college by just being surrounded by people who are all about books. And I know how that sounds. You were smart enough to get into honors so obviously you did better in high school than most Virginia Tech students, but don’t let that get to your head. Non honors students still got into Virginia Tech and you’ll meet smart people (especially in engineering) who will hover around 2.9 - 3.0. </p>

<p>Do EAJ. You’ll still be in a honors community but you’ll be near where all the action is. You’ll run into people in WAJ, Pritchard, and Lee all the time; and I think you’ll meet a more diverse group of students. </p>

<p>With that said, it’s truly up to you. Do you want to meet just honors students or do you want to meet a more diverse group of students? </p>

<p>Thank you very much for your responses! Your guidance has been very helpful.</p>