Honors Engineering

<p>did anybody else get invited into the honors engineering program? I got a letter for it today.</p>

<p>My son is currently in it. If you have any specific questions ask them and I will try and help.</p>

<p>is it true that when you first attend Purdue, you're automatically in the engineering program? ew.. :(</p>

<p>No, that's not true at all. You have to express engineering as your interest, THEN you are put in the first year honors eng program/class or regular freshman engineering class. You certainly don't take a freshman engineering class if your interest is say Business, or teaching, etc.</p>

<p>ooooh! thanks, mominin! or mom.. in.. in :)</p>

<p>Son (freshman honors engineering) mentioned tonight that had he not taken honors engineering, he would at least have a 3.8 if not a 4.0. Honors is more difficult and he's pulling a 3.25 and studying like mad.</p>

<p>Oh Tookie, I certainly agree with this! We were "warned" during orientation that the freshmen engineering class itself carries a ton of work. Then to take Honors fresh eng, my son is buried in work. Granted he is taking a ton of classes (his choice) but his grades too are suffering. He is starting to admit he thinks he's going to lose the honors distinction and scholarship.</p>

<p>My S's biggest complaint is that 1) Honors Eng. won't be anywhere on the diploma, and 2) He wants to go to medical school, which a lower GPA will lessen his chances of getting in. He has enjoyed being in the learning community, however.</p>

<p>Did your S go to the "Etiquette Dinner" (taught by the former butler of Queen Elizabeth)? I'm glad S went; I think only about 20 or 30 engineers attended.</p>

<p>You know, now that you mention it, my son hasn't mentioned it. I wish he would have gone, or hope he did! I thought it was something they had to do. I guess if only 20 or 30 attended, I was wrong about that.</p>

<p>BTW, my son is under the impression, I believe he was told in one of the honors meetings, that the honors distinction does appear on the diploma. He told me this a few months ago. That is, unless I missunderstood him. </p>

<p>Engineering is a tough area before med school, best wishes to your son!</p>

<p>Mominin, did your S take 2 years of physics in HS? Mine only took 1 year due to a schedule conflict, and he reports that the engineering students who took the 2 years are having an easier go of it. Wish they would warn/tell HS students early on so that they can prepare for their college curriculum! You live and learn...maybe this website can help prepare those engineering students who are still in HS. Take 2 years of physics!</p>

<p>just a thought, don't be scared away by honors. I've gotten a 4.0, my roommate got a 4.0, and i know several others with a 4.0. it takes a lot of work, but it's quite doable. it's actually ended up being easier than i was expecting. coming in, i thought i'd be working 24/7. i really don't, i have plenty of free time, during which i help others or am at FIRST robotics, i even have time to play the cello in orchestra, a trio, and just practicing solo pieces. A lot of it is just time management. </p>

<p>i agree with the 2 years of physics. and CS experience is always good too, though i don't think they're requiring CS as a part of the freshman curriculum after this year.</p>

<p>by the way, i'm a current honors engineering student. it's a pain, i hate it the majority of the time, but i think it prepares you better for the rest of your engineering education.</p>

<p>My son took three years of physics in high school: reg physics, AP phys and then the BC physics. He scored a 5 on the "hard" part and can skip electrical and magnetic, but since he <em>only</em> got a 4 on the easy AP physics test, ha! they are making him retake the basic physics class. That class is his easy A.</p>

<p>CK6118? I agree, there are indeed many kids getting 4.0 in honors engineering and my son knows some of them. My son's problem? he over-scheduled himself and is taking 21 credit hours, with two labs totally 27 hours of class a week. Normally he is a straight A student but his classes are spread out to top it off so there are these stupid one hour "breaks' between his classes each day. Not long enough to nap or get a full amount of homework done. As someone use to easy As, he's learning to juggle time suddenly and therefore the straight As went out the door.</p>

<p>My advice to honors eng students coming in? Don't take 21 credit hours, lol!</p>

<p>I should add that first semester he had "just" 20 hours and did have plenty of time for extras. He was having a lot of fun with the extras in fact and he misses them now. (extracurriculars). His schedule being so spread out is hurting him as well, now that I think about it. That could be the main problem, not the amount of classes but how they are scheduled. First semester CK, he amazed us with all the fun things he had time to do.</p>

<p>What is different about the Honors program? What, if any, are the benefits? Does it cover all majors? Thanks.</p>

<p>I can only speak for the honors program in engineering. Other disciplines have honors as well, but each school is different in how they do it, how you get in, etc. etc. Make sure you check out the area you are interested in on the website. Benefits for engineering honors? early scheduling, living with other h. engineering students, being in smaller classes with them. I'm sure there's more, son loves it. In engin Hon. you take different classes, not the same. And there is less busy work, and more work in the engineering area. Again, the website gives a great overview and is easy to navigate. Check it out as I'm sure I missed something.</p>