Honors program at Texas A&M

@pp72 RIDICULOUS!! Business Honors had over 2,200 apply, they let them know months ago. Engineering Honors, I’m sure had MANY thousands, and they have heard.
Guarantee they’re waiting for decisions from kids that applied to Ivy League, Stanford, USC etc. to make their final college decision.
Personally, if it were my kid, I’d chuck that WaitList/B team option and move on.
If they said decisions would be given March 31, then honor that.

HNR = Honors courses, that’s all Honors students. UH is all majors.

UH has put your kid in a bind. What is he supposed to do about Housing? He can’t really match with a roomie, in case he does get in; what if he doesn’t find out until May that he ISN’T in, then he’s scrambling for dorm choices.

I’m confused what does chucking blinn team and waitlist have to do with university honors? I think I missed something in the thread.

B team (like 2nd team), not Blinn Team, my bad.
Telling a freshman to wait until mid May totally messes up Housing.
I just think it’s rude. If they say decisions will be sent March 31, then do it. UH should at least take Housing selection/timeline into consideration.

Oh lol. I’m a very literal person. Gotcha now. And yes I agree!!!

@52AG82 - Not sure if this helps at all but I thought I would mention it… My daughter listed UH & the honors dorms as first choice. I had called and asked them last month and asked how that would work because if she doesn’t get UH, then she missed out on selecting a roommate. They told me they were aware it was an issue and unfortunately if she later decided to not participate in UH, she might have an issue with housing.

A couple of days later, the same person emailed me back and said there was a change in procedure and now those who listed UH as first choice can still go through the process of selecting a roommate. There would be a flag or something letting other students know that the person was interested in UH and may not be available to be a roomate if they were selected and participated in UH. My daughter received an email a couple of days later with a full explanation and videos on how to go through the process. At least with this procedure, students can still continue with the process somewhat to select a roommate in case they don’t do UH for whatever reason.

That being said, I don’t know if things are still messed up for students if they have to wait until May for acceptance. But at least they know it is a problem and seem to be looking for a way to fix it.

On a side note, my daughter received an email earlier this evening saying she was accepted into UH, so at least some of those notifications are starting.

2 Likes

My S got the email that he was accepted to University Honors. But he just declined his offer from TAMU yesterday so he won’t be taking the spot.

2 Likes

My kid was accepted into UH tonight as well

2 Likes

@kwhdman congrats to your girl!
That’s good at least they realize they have really messed up Housing for those that applied.

You can log into Howdy, go to the My Records tab, then to Search classes, select last Fall 2020 to see what Honors courses are available they will have a section number that starts with a 2##, like section 201 for example. The Fall 2021 courses will not be available to view until the end of April.

@pp72 lower level Honors classes are in the 200’s, like @pbleigh mentioned. For example, my student took SMPT 220 HNR-Olympic Studies as a freshman.

Interesting class choice. How was it?

Interesting! It knocked out a history and class for Sports Management minor, I think?? Fulfilled 2 requirements. And it fulfilled a non Mays honors requirement. Interestingly enough, the teacher was in London, so it was a zoom/online class-this was last spring, when they started as a regular semester. That class never missed a beat, when all others were scrambling to figure out how to teach remote/online overnight.

This is where Freshmen need help. Finding those sneaky great classes to complete the silly core requirements. Especially kids now that come in the door with 24 credit hours and have nothing decent to fill their schedules.

1 Like

That’s where I come in lol. Lots of “easy” courses and interesting, to complete some core courses.

1 Like

They’ve taken away some that my kids used in the past. To be honest, there are so many absolutely ridiculous classes now. And so many are trap classes for Freshmen that could ruin their semester GPA, or worse for Engineering students.

I’ll ask my kids, but I remember there being an easy and fun Horticulture class with an amazing professor. I think it qualified as Creative Arts. The professor would bring the kids a small plant or seed each week just to be nice. They talked about all their difficulties, future plans, and it was almost like therapy to these kids. It’s not offered as Core credit anymore.

Then there’s (whispers very quietly as not to give the secret away), ENDS 101. Shhhhh.

If my son ends up at A&M (been accepted to Purdue, GT, Rice, UT, UMich, and waiting on Ivies), we’ll need 3 credit hours first and second semester of Freshmen year. He’s been accepted into A&M Engr Honors, so I’m not concerned about finding a trash filler course his second semester with registration advantages. He just can’t find anything he likes or useful for that first semester 3 credit hours.

FWIW, if someone needs a creative art class and a cultural diversity class, my son and his roommate really enjoyed PERF 301 (online version) and it was an easy A. Roommate took it as a freshman, even though it says for juniors/seniors.

This group has been amazing and I have learnt a lot…My son is going to be Freshman 2021 in EH and plans to pursue BioMedical Engineering on a pre-med track…he will be entering TAMU with almost all AP courses except for Physics.

As a parent I am learning how the process works at TAMU, neither me nor my wife went to Colleges in the US, so you all have been a great asset for helping us directly/indirectly…

so was going thru the course plan for Fall 2021, I am sure my son will get his own inputs from his friends but we usually end up discussing everything, so getting prepared for next step…your help, inputs will be appreciated…

Per the Biomedical Engineering Course Plan for Freshman Year for fall, here is what the Program Catalog recommends:

1. Chem 107/117

2. Eng 103 - Plan to take credit for AP English

3. Engineering 102H

4. Math 151 - Can take AP credit for AP Calc BC but plan to take this course again because of ETAM 3.75 GPA for Class of 2025 and as he only wants BME, so plan to play safe for Freshman.

5. UCC - 21 Credits needed, he can already claim 15 (has to do 3 in Creative Arts and 3 in Gov/PolSc)

Does he have to take any classes in place of UCC/Eng in Fall 2021 to satisfy the Freshman Credit Hours inspite of claiming credits for those requirements?

If he has to take the classes then which course to take in UCC (Creative Arts) and how to fill the gap for ENG 103…

I will let others weight in on the specifics of Fall semester, but I’ll just say that retaking calculus is wise for a student going into engineering. He may look into taking it as an honors course if he really enjoys math and wants the challenge.

2 Likes

@akkiadi my student is in Business Honors, so I can’t help you. But, you need to join this Facebook page-you’ll get all the A&M Engineering in’s & outs, answers and tips.
They are a wealth of information!

Great plan! Does the Biomed Eng plan have a communications requirement, perhaps shown in soph year? This would be a good class to take, if so. Also, see if any of your AP classes satisfy the ICD (international and cultural diversity) or CD (cultural discourse) requirements. For example, Human Geography is good for ICD and social sciences. You can take a creative arts class that also satisfies ICD or CD