Honors Questions

<p>Our son is still considering Alabama and will visit in a few weeks. I feel that being part of the Honors Program is a point of differentation that will help downstream and get him around students that “get” the academic side of college. We know the basic benefits–housing, priority for class registration, etc. </p>

<p>From a student’s (and other parent’s) perspetive what has been your experience with the Honors Program? I think his major concern is being lumped in with a group that is so focused on studies that they miss out on the social side of the college experience. I don’t think this can possibly be the case, but need some insight from some that have been there.</p>

<p>*think his major concern is being lumped in with a group that is so focused on studies that they miss out on the social side of the college experience. *</p>

<p>That should not be a concern. the Honors students are very social. They have Tailgates before football games. I don’t know if this still exists, but the honors kids used to have an Open Mic Nite where honors kids could showcase talents…singing, comedy, whatever. The honors kids are involved in various clubs and orgns. They’re not a big group of introvert bookworms at all.</p>

<p>Hi Aggie84. Speaking as a parent of a first-year student, I really don’t see how your student would miss out on any social experience just by being part of the honors program. He doesn’t have to live in an honors dorm and even if he chose to do so, there is plenty of socializing that goes on. Plenty of honors students go Greek. And being in the honors program will allow him to take a few honors seminars with other students, but other than that he is pretty much taking classes with the general population (though he would need to take a a few honors classes in other departments). </p>

<p>The Honors College also organizes many social events. I think they always have a tailgate. They had a dance this semester. They do a stand-up/open night mike at Starbucks every so often, and many other things. </p>

<p>Do you have a tour/visit set up with the Honors College? They will really help facilitate your visit. </p>

<p>Is your son strongly considering A&M? We are from Texas. My D, though top 10, did not apply to any Texas schools. If she had, she would have chosen A&M. She absolutely loves Alabama. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>A great way to check out all the HC events is to look at their Facebook page. Just search for The University of Alabama Honors College.</p>

<p>Our incoming freshman son had the same concerns…I almost think it’s an academic prejudice. I reminded him that with a 30 on the ACT, he’s the low hanging fruit among his friends, who mostly scored 33’s & 34’s, all AP kids, etc…and yet somehow they manage to have a pretty darn full social life. I also reminded him of his comments early in high school about preferring his honors classes because they kids didn’t squirrel around in them as much.</p>

<p>From what I’ve read and seen on there, the honors kids have plenty going on besides school. They are also susceptible to academic problems, being in honors is not a guaranty of success. We’re glad our son is in honors because it makes a smaller slice of the big pie that is a huge university. That plus, he’ll be surrounded by kids who have also done well and theoretically will continue to do well in college. That said, in the end, it’s all up to how hard he’s willing to work. Honors or no honors, there are plenty of fun distractions at college, it’s about discipline. (advice from a second generation t-sip…:)</p>

<p>The honors students tend to be high achievers in and out of the classroom. For their entire lives, they have been balancing academics, activities, and socialization. UA is a very social place, and they have tons of free time outside of class/studying to have fun however they choose.</p>

<p>You’ll get plenty of examples, but my honors son plays on the UA volleyball team, plays intramurals, goes to every football and basketball game, did fantasy football leagues with UA friends, works out, eats with his friends, plays x-box, had a girlfriend (just broke up), goes to parties, hangs out in suites, and still finds time to relax. He also has straight A+ average.</p>

<p>Yes, A&M and Alabama are 1 and 1a. Focused on NM schools and we are in VA, so either one is a ways from home. Both are great choices–of course I am a little biased!</p>

<p>I think a lot of it depends on how the student has been up to this point - if they were social in high school and fit a lot in - chances are that is how they will be in college. If they were strictly book students in high school this is the chance for them to break out but they will have to make the effort. Besides academics, my honors son was involved in a lot of leadership and varsity sports in high school (football, wrestling, track…) - he is the same in college. At UA he has participated in Outdoor Action, Freshman Forum, Emerging Scholars, is on the club rugby team, works out regularly and joined a frat. He bought a white board for his room to keep all the activities straight. That said, he wanted to live in honors housing because he thought there would be less of a chance of getting the “out of control” party roommate - he wanted roommates that were serious about classes and thought the chances were better with honors roommates. He hasn’t regretted that choice - he is close to his roommates and I can see benefits from being with them. They have him thinking about internships, helped when he needs calculus help, etc…</p>