Horse - April CC Book Club Selection

@VeryHappy’s comments are close to a soft veto for Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow – but not quite, so I’ll leave it on for now.

@mathmom, I’m not sure if your suggestions were to be added to the list or if they were interim reading ideas. I’m going to split the difference – adding All My Rage but not Amiable with Big Teeth.

Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

A Dangerous Business by Jane Smiley

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

True biz by Sara Novic

The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz

All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir

Vetoes welcome – eight titles is too many for voting. For newcomers: Anyone can veto a suggested book and no hard feelings! There are so many books in the world that we always end up finding something we can all (more or less) agree on.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a book club book but some mentioned Jon Meachem’s new book And there was light. As an accompaniment to this month’s book.

It’s a book I’m interested in reading in the interim. And thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

I would be happy to reread Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow- I really enjoyed it.

Not interested in Razorblade Tears because the themes seem to overlap the ones we just covered.

Most interested in reading The Marriage Portrait and Half Sick of Shadows.

In general, I am not a fan of harsh, violent, tragic, soul searching, etc. books.

1 Like

I just looked through them all. All good choices. These are my top 4.

Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

1 Like

I’ve also read and enjoyed “T, T & T.” I probably wouldn’t read it again for discussion here but am entirely open to having it be our selection. My RL Book Club got a bit sidetracked during that meeting and I felt as if we didn’t do the book justice in our discussion.

I’m currently reading “The Marriage Portrait” for the same RL Book Club. Again, I’d be fine with discussing it here.

Of course, if another book is selected, I’m fine with that, too!

Edited to add: My post is showing a piece of cake? Apparently today “is the anniversary of the day I joined this community.”

3 Likes

I’m good with any of these - just read all the fan love for “ The Latecomer” over on the best book I’ve read thread, mentioned above by @ignatius

1 Like

I came late to the Horse discussion but read all your comments! This is such a thoughtful group. So much richness added to my understanding of the book.

I started out queasy about a white woman presuming to enter the minds of, and speak for, two black men … but came to a more generous interpretation of Brooks’s motives and qualifications by the time discussion wrapped up.

I had Theo’s tragic end in mind (or some variation thereof) from very early on, so each time one of his chapters opened, I was primed for disaster.

I’m cool with any of the books proposed for next time. The Latecomer has been on my to-read list for a while but I am not favoring it, necessarily, over any of the other options.

3 Likes

Off topic but of interest to book clubbers who loved Maggie O’Farrell’s Hamnet. There’s a Royal Shakespeare Company adaptation of the book opening soon in Stratford. Anne/Agnes in the spotlight!
(gift link, should be accessible to all)

3 Likes

No vetoes and good with whatever gets chosen.

1 Like

I’m good with any of these too. It turns out I already own True Biz on the Kindle. Apparently I bought it in February. I have no memory of doing so!

1 Like

I hadn’t meant to sound like I was doing a soft veto of T&T&T but, upon reflection, I think I am. I’m in three book clubs (including this one) and too often lately what I’m reading for one of the book clubs is something I’ve already read. So I’d prefer something I haven’t yet read. I haven’t read any of the others that have been mentioned.

2 Likes

@jollymama, I would love to see that play! I thought Hamnet was wonderful.

Happy Anniversary, @CBBBlinker! :grinning:

I’ve eliminated the vetoes and narrowed down the list to the four books that have been mentioned by one or more people:

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

True Biz by Sara Novic

I haven’t read any of them and they all sound good to me! (But be aware that The Marriage Portrait is not only a repeat author, it also takes us back to familiar territory – 16th century historical drama written in the present tense, with strong female protagonist to whom life was not kind.)

If you want to give ranked choice voting a try, we’ll see where we end up!

OK, I’ll bite with my ranked voting:

1 - Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

2 - The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

3- The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz

4- True Biz by Sara Novic

1 - Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

2 - True Biz by Sara Novic

3- The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

4- The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz

1. The Latecomer by Korelitz

2. True Biz by Novic

3. The Marriage Portrait by O’Farrell

4. Half Sick of Shadows by Sebastian

Hey, I found a site with a Ranked Choice Voting calculator and made a link!

You can go here to vote: Ballot

As soon as you submit, you will see the current status of the vote. I already entered @Marilyn, @mathmom and @VeryHappy, so the three of you shouldn’t re-vote. Stuffing the ballot box is not allowed. :grinning:

Right now, the site shows Half Sick of Shadows as winning because two out of the three voters ranked it first.

We can always declare voter fraud and stage an insurrection if the final results look funky, but let’s give it a try, just for fun! :ballot_box:

4 Likes

Voted …the latecomer

1 Like

Can I vote from another district :ballot_box::face_with_hand_over_mouth:?

1 Like

Oh, and if you’re curious to see how the vote changes as more people participate, this is the results link: Election Results

You can pretend you’re John King on CNN.