Housing Deposit Opens Today

<p>Housing Deposit Application Opens Today At approximately 12:00 noon CDT according to Bama’s Housing Website. see this info in link.</p>

<p>This housing deposit and the deposit timing has been mentioned in several threads but in case some of you have missed any of the information, here is the link for the FAQS page:
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/general_faq.cfm#question2]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/general_faq.cfm#question2)</p>

<p>I will copy the info below (in case the link does not work for you):</p>

<p>Housing Application Process
Do all freshmen have to live on campus?
As an incoming freshman, how do I apply for housing for the 2014/2015 academic year?
Where do I find the online application?
When should I submit my housing application?
Is there a deposit due with my application?
Housing Assignments
What should I do if I need special housing accommodations?
How will I receive a housing assignment?
Can I live with the roommate of my choice during my freshman year?
Can I live anywhere on campus during my freshman year?
Does my choice of housing my freshman year affect my housing after that?
What is a living-learning community?
Can I move into honors housing after my freshman year?
Can I move anywhere I want on campus after my freshman year?
Where should I live if I need housing over break periods? Do any residence halls remain open?
Housing after Freshman Year
Are students guaranteed housing after their freshman year?
Housing Cancellation Process
What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?
Mail and Packages
How can I receive mail and packages when I live on campus?
Housing Application Process
Do all freshmen have to live on campus?
Due to the many social and academic benefits associated with living on campus, all incoming freshmen are expected to live on campus, unless exempt from this requirement. Students who will live in the legal residence of their parent or guardian may be exempt from living on campus. Other requests will be considered on a case by case basis. All students who believe they qualify for an exemption should submit their request through myBama by July 15, 2014.</p>

<p>Back to top
As an incoming freshman, how do I apply for housing for the 2014/2015 academic year?
We anticipate that the online housing application will be available beginning at 12:00 noon CDT on October 1, 2013. You must submit a complete application, including the housing contract and the $300.00 deposit ($25.00 application fee and $275.00 housing prepayment) in order for Housing and Residential Communities to receive your application and in order for you to be eligible for on campus housing. You will receive e-mail notification later in the in the fall and winter regarding how you will receive your housing assignment. Please note, your official e-mail address as an incoming freshman is your crimson e-mail, so HRC will communicate with you using this e-mail address. Please be sure to check it regularly.</p>

<p>Back to top
Where do I find the online application?
To apply for housing, click here and log in, using the user name and password assigned by Undergraduate Admissions.</p>

<p>Back to top
When should I submit my housing application?
You should apply for housing as soon as you are admitted to the University and pay the Freshman Enrollment Deposit. The earlier that you apply for housing, the more options you will have, as access to online room selection and housing assignment by HRC staff is based primarily on housing application date. Students with earlier application dates can pull in confirmed roommate choices with later dates, if space is available. The method of assignment will depend on availability and will be the one that will give students an assignment in the quickest and most efficient way. Students who apply for housing after April 1, 2014, will be assigned by HRC staff and may receive assignment in the late spring or summer.</p>

<p>Back to top
Is there a deposit due with my application?
A $300 deposit is due with your housing application. This includes a $25.00 non-refundable application fee and a $275.00 prepayment. If you do not attend UA and cancel your housing application by May 1, 2014, you will receive a refund of $275.00. If you cancel your housing by June 1, you will receive a refund of $175.00. To cancel your housing application, you must submit a cancellation request through the HRC web site.</p>

<p>Back to top
Housing Assignments
What should I do if I need special housing accommodations?
If you have a medical need affecting your housing, please fax your request, along with medical documentation on your physician’s letterhead, to Housing and Residential Communities at 205-348-7135. The deadline to submit requests is March 1, 2014 for incoming freshmen and February 1, 2014, for returning students. Requests submitted after this date may not be met, due to space constraints. Please note, special accommodation is not made in cases of ADD or ADHD.</p>

<p>Back to top
How will I receive a housing assignment?
Some incoming freshmen are able to select their own rooms through our online room selection process, while later applicants will be assigned by HRC staff. More information will be available in the fall regarding assignment process, but the sooner you apply for housing, the more options you will have. Students with early application dates can pull in confirmed roommate choices who have later housing application dates. Please note, students with application dates of June 1 or later will likely not receive their housing assignments until late July or early August. Staff who assign students will take into consideration roommate preferences and room style choices, as long as space permits.</p>

<p>Back to top
Can I live with the roommate of my choice during my freshman year?
You may be able to, if you and your preferred roommate are eligible for the same community. For example, a student in the Honors College, who wants to live in Honors Housing, will need to select a roommate who is also eligible for Honors Housing. Students who are looking for potential roommates may create a profile on their housing application and make it available for other students to view, and students may search the profiles of other students through the housing application.</p>

<p>Back to top
Can I live anywhere on campus during my freshman year?
You will be eligible for certain residence halls based upon your freshman status, your gender, and any living- learning community participation. For example, you must be a male student in the College of Engineering in order to be eligible to live in Bryant Hall. Students must be admitted to the Honors College in order to live in Honors Housing. Other living-learning communities are connected to other residence halls. The residence halls that you are eligible to select will show up for you during online room selection. Please note, different residence halls have different rates. Please check the projected rates for housing on the HRC web site as you consider your choices.</p>

<p>Back to top
A student’s housing choice for freshman year may impact future housing choices. According to current HRC policy, a student who does not live in Bryant, Ridgecrest South, East or West, Lakeside, Riverside, or Presidential Village during his/her freshman year will not be able to select those buildings in future years. In order to live in Honors Housing as a sophomore, a student must be in the Honors College and must live in Honors Housing, or Blount or Harris Halls, as a freshman and be living there during room selection.</p>

<p>Back to top
What is a living-learning community?
Living-learning communities connect a student’s academic interests with his/her living environment, providing a supportive environment in which residents have a shared college, major, or academic program. There are many different living-learning communities at UA, with varying requirements for admission and different expectations for participants. Please note, participants in some living-learning communities will be assigned by the HRC assignments staff and require application to, and acceptance by, the program before assignment can be made.</p>

<p>Back to top
Can I move into honors housing after my freshman year?
Because of the growth in the Honors College and the demand for Honors Housing from incoming freshmen, according to current HRC policy, only current residents and incoming freshmen in the Honors College can select a space in honors housing. Please keep that in mind as you select your housing for your freshman year.</p>

<p>Back to top
Can I move anywhere I want on campus after my freshman year?
You will have many choices as a sophomore and above, but these will be determined, in part, by gender, living- learning community participation, and your housing assignment during your freshman year. In order to select a space in one of the suite-style buildings, or Honors Housing, you must be living there during room selection. You also have the ability to move off campus beginning as a sophomore.</p>

<p>Back to top
A student’s housing choice for freshman year may impact future housing choices. According to current HRC policy, a student who does not live in Bryant, Ridgecrest South, East or West, Lakeside, Riverside, or Presidential Village during his/her freshman year will not be able to select those buildings in future years. In order to live in Honors Housing as a sophomore, a student must be in the Honors College and must live in Honors Housing, Blount or Harris Halls, or another suite-style building as a freshman and be living there during room selection. More information will be available during the recontracting process.</p>

<p>Back to top
Where should I live if I need housing over break periods? Do any residence halls remain open?
If you know that you will need housing during periods during which the University closes, you may want to consider living in Burke East or West, Parham Hall, the Highlands, Palmer, or Bryce Lawn. These residence halls do not close during break periods and are available to incoming freshmen. Residence halls do not close during Fall Break or Thanksgiving Break, but other residence halls do close during Winter Break and Spring Break.</p>

<p>Back to top
Housing after Freshman Year
Are students guaranteed housing after their freshman year?
No. Due to the high demand for housing, not all students who want to live on campus will be able to, and students are not guaranteed housing after their freshman year. Exceptions include students who must live on campus, e.g., students with housing scholarships that can only be used in campus housing. These students must still meet all HRC housing application deadlines in order to be eligible for housing. HRC provides extensive resources and assistance for students who are moving off campus, in order to help them make good decisions about their living situations.</p>

<p>Back to top
Housing Cancellation Process
What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?
If you do not attend the University, you can receive a refund of your $275.00 prepayment by canceling with Housing and Residential Communities by May 1, 2014. Students who cancel their housing between May 2 and June 1 will receive a refund of $175.00. To submit a cancellation request, please fill out the form online. Because the prepayment is refundable, you are strongly urged to apply for housing, even if you have not made your final decision regarding the school you will attend. Your housing choices will be greater the earlier you apply for housing. In order to insure that you receive a refund, if eligible, please cancel with Housing and Residential Communities and not just Undergraduate Admissions. Please note, after the cancellation deadline, your housing contract will be cancelled only if you do not attend UA or if you receive an exemption. It will not be cancelled in order for you to live in a sorority or fraternity housing or in an off-campus apartment.</p>

<p>Since the time states that it is approximate, I would try getting on earlier, you will need your students account information.</p>

<p>Reminder: You must be admitted
You must have paid the enrollment deposit first</p>

<p>Use the link on the FAQS page to get to deposit page (will not be clickable in the post above).</p>

<p>Good Luck to all the future students!</p>

<p>Thanks robotbidmom! Never considered trying earlier!</p>

<p>You’re Welcome :slight_smile:
Sure, it can’t hurt to try earlier but if that doesn’t work then be ready to login at the exact time. If the system works like the UA login systems usually do, you want to be poised to hit the login button right on the 12:00 mark, don’t forget that is CDT Time, so account for the time differences for the time zone you live in.</p>

<p>It opened right at noon. I watched my clock change and suddenly I was in. You do need to know your students ID number. I had to dig for that!!</p>

<p>Whew - done!! :)</p>

<p>Great! Sounds like it was easy!!</p>

<p>Done at 12:03 PM!</p>

<p>I don’t know why I didn’t think to ask this question earlier. Son is accepted with the Presidential Scholarship. But he hasn’t finished his Honors College application yet. How does this impact him with regards to making the housing deposit today? Is he just sorting of “lining up” for registration times later this year, when he will pick a specific dorm/room/roommate? So that by then he will have been admitted to the Honors College and would be eligible to select Honors Housing if available? My DD didn’t decide to attend Alabama until late February, and got very lucky that she found a roommate who had paid her housing deposit early in the fall and pulled her into her room in Riverside. I’ve never done it this early before!</p>

<p>My S hasn’t done HC App yet either, so I sent housing an email and they said it will auto update system when done. No worries …</p>

<p>@Whitlo</p>

<p>Haven’t done this early either. I don’t think the Honors College application should matter. Yes, he’s lining up the earlier date/time to secure his housing choice. There are several dates/times that are tied to how early the student pays their housing deposit. Paying early gives them a better chance of securing a room in the dorm they would like to be in.</p>

<p>I just paid the Enrollment Deposit and am waiting for the Housing application to come up. He’ll thank me later…or not…</p>

<p>All you are doing right now with the housing deposit is securing your spot in line to pick your dorm building, room and roommates.</p>

<p>Neither my DS nor I were available at noon yesterday, so DH was put in charge. He believes he took care of it. When I sign in to housing, I see this
Applied : 10/1/2013 12:01:00 PM
Contract Signed
Completed Deposit Paid
So - I am assuming my DS is all set for room selection after the first of the year?</p>

<p>My husband didn’t completely finish the profile section. He says he began, then realized he probably didn’t have to do that part and it would be better for DS to do it.</p>

<p>DH did good!</p>

<p>God job Maryjay! I did DD’s profile and when she got home, she changed it, but surprisingly, I did pretty well at figuring out her answers! It was fun last night to look through the girls and think about who might be a good fit. got a laugh out of the girl who put that she wants to Party Hardy!</p>