Housing opinions for Spring Freshman?

<p>So I'm gonna be a new freshman this coming spring, and I'm thinking of housing and I'm torn between Bradley and the typical Sellery/Witte combo.</p>

<p>Since I'm coming to college in the spring for the first time ever I do want to be able to make friends and not deal with the whole "everyone has already formed their cliques" problem.</p>

<p>I guess all dorms have their pros and cons.</p>

<p>I really like Bradley but i don't know if the distance to classes (especially in a Wisconsin winter) is gonna be worth it. Although lakeshore seems pretty neat. I also hear that people there are a little anti-social or at least not as open as people from Sellery/Witte. Could anyone tell me more about it? The other threads dont seem to put enough stuff on BLC</p>

<p>For Sellery and Witte, i figure with the high percentage of freshmen and the relatively "social" nature of the dorms, it would make it easier for transitioning into college. </p>

<p>BUT then I'm not that big a partier, or at least, I go to parties but I never drink and do not intend on drinking due to some previous family issues regarding alcoholics. Do you think it'd be weird at Sellery/Witte then?</p>

<p>I'm kind of a hippie free-spirit type, I'm a serious student but i like to socialize too I'm not gonna hole up in a fort made of books in my room. Friends think I'm a little quirky but I've always been able to get along well with different people. </p>

<p>Dorm suggestions?</p>

<p>Lakeshore all the way!! I have lived in Lakeshore and I have friends living in Southeast (Witte), and I can ensure you if you are not one of those typical “Wisconsin-standard” party animals, Southeast is going to be extremely brutal for you. The dorms are always loud, so as the entire Southeast neighborhood. It’s just crazy…when it comes to game days and weekends, good luck surviving. </p>

<p>I’m a little bit biased. But to me, Lakeshore people are as equally social as the Southeast people, if not more. Trust me, Lakeshore kids are nothing close to “anti-social”. It’s just Southeast kids are lot more “party-oriented”. There are a abundant of freshmen living in Bradley. I’m currently living in an apartment but I’ve always told my friends how much I missed Lakeshore. It’s quiet so if you come back from parties, you are still able to sleep (which is important to college students). Also, the lakeshore area and the lakeshore path are the most beautiful parts in the whole UW-Madison campus. If you enjoy drinking a cup of hot coffee and watching the lake…aw man, that feeling is the best for a Fall day, you will love Lakeshore. </p>

<p>Distance is not a problem. In fact, I enjoy the distance because I can get away from all the craziness “down there”. You will learn to love the bus rides once you live in Lakeshore.</p>

<p>Have you considered Chadbourne?</p>

<p>well I have looked into it but i think CLC might be a tad bit on the expensive end for me, every penny counts in college. I actually like Liz Waters but i hear it’s hard to get into plus it’s mainly sophomores</p>

<p>do you know what sorts of students live in BLC?</p>

<p>Lakeshore- don’t worry at about distances or weather. During the day you can eat at any location and you may be going between classes in a different part of campus than you live in. You will be able to recharge best in the environment you like best.</p>

<p>Also consider that your options will be limited to spaces available due to the small number of people who leave UW at the semester.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about cliques. This is college, not HS. During the first month new freshmen often hang out with people in their dorm but by second semester people have met people in classes and activities. Don’t worry about “antisocial” behavior either. Again, this is college, not HS. Some will be introverts or concerned with their own lives. You need to be the person who reaches out, nothing ventured, nothing gained (and no popular crowd whispering about you in the halls of the only building you spend your time in like HS). People will not necessarily know you are new on campus, in the dining hall or other places. Don’t be afraid to ask directions/questions et al. Again, the campus “world” is so much vaster than any HS and there is no in crowd or other defining social group. And you do not have to be friends with your roommate, you need to coexist but can have vastly different interests.</p>

<p>Do not worry about making friends. It takes time to develop relationships, but those can last decades. You are likely to become friends with those who share common interests- those with your major whom you meet in classes or those in clubs et al you join. You are likely to have several circles of people you know by the end of the semester.</p>