Housing? Where should you stay?

<p>I was in a totally different situation than everyone else for I went there last minute and did not even apply for the housing until like a week before i went there.</p>

<p>Anyway, when i got there...and spent like a week..then i went to the housing office place and asked them if they have any more available spaces. They said, "Carey or Young" I said, "Young" because "Young Hall" has AC and private bathrooms. However there are some exceptions (9th and 10th floors you share bathrooms) but 2nd and 3rd floors, you have your own bathroom.</p>

<p>Young Hall will fade away. They are converting it to an office building.</p>

<p>Stay where Dining Halls are. Young is so far away from the dining halls, I literally had to walk for a long time or wait for the buses. </p>

<p>WARNING: Buses and trolleies at Purude...they will freeze you to death during the winter. They don't come as quick as you wish...they are extermely slow and there isn't a time schedule except there is a sequence of buses coming at your station which sometimes gets mixed up.</p>

<p>So stay near dining halls.</p>

<p>In terms of dining halls, I recommend these two. "Ford Dining Hall" and "Earhart Dining Hall" These two have the most variety of cuisines and serve the best. I also recommend "Windsor Dining Hall" for those of you are vegetarians. More females come to Windsor than male students due to the fact that Windsor Residence Hall is all women hall.</p>

<p>That's it for today</p>

<p>What about off-campus housing? If my son goes to Purdue, he's considering being off-campus since it appears you can more easily get off campus housing close to the business school that you can get a dorm close by.</p>

<p>Anybody know the situation on this--and the costs?</p>

<p>My son is in an honors living community this year and next year has chosen to live in a condo with some friends. His dorm (Earhart) is small but new furniture, cable tv, internet, etc. The on campus food offerings are great (this per a very picky eater). That said, he is moving to a condo because it indeed will be cheaper. There are MANY places off campus to live and leases get signed very early. I think my son signed up about 9 months in advance but maybe that is not the norm. Yes, he actually will be closer to his classes by living in the condo but I have to say dorm life has not bothered him at all. He doesn't mind the distance (he bikes) and like I said, he loves the food. He won't be saving THAT much distance by living in off campus housing.</p>

<p>I don't know if this is the norm or not: His condo will be about $900 a month for a 4 bedroom. Three guys are going to live in it and split the rent three ways. It has a washer and dryer too which is nice. The internet, gas and electric in this particular condo are extra as are of course, groceries. Still, they have it figured out that it will be cheaper, even with the extras they will now have to purchase.</p>

<p>For a first year student many do like the living communities because you live near or with other kids that are taking similar classes. I guess as a mom I see the positive in living on campus the first year although if your son is set on off-campus, be assured there is a lot to choose from. I hope this helps you and you can pay the campus a visit.</p>

<p>This makes me feel a lot better about the possibility of my son living either on or off-campus if he chooses to go to Purdue. (except the part about signing leases 9 months early).</p>

<p>Actually, he and his mom are in Indiana right now (flew in today) for a long weekend visiting Purdue and Indiana Univ. (attending Purdue's "Purdue's for Me" program and Indiana University's "Freshman Forum"). Hopefully, the choices will get easier after this visit--and after responses to his other college applications.</p>

<p>He will have a cold, snowy visit to Purdue today! (and maybe IU as well?) Son says they don't get a lot of snow, but I hope they packed warm clothes :)</p>

<p>Calcruzer,</p>

<p>There is an ample number of apartments around the campus.</p>

<p>Average 2 bedroom apartment costs about $500 or little over.</p>

<p>However...your son better live with the fellow students with alike life styles.</p>

<p>I've seen some people who have been greatly influenced by party crazy roommates...just warn him about that.</p>

<p>also, there was a big fire that literally blew up the whole top half of the building. I believe it was caused by the students living in the apartment. you know, on weekends, kids drink and often do some stupid things.</p>

<p>I am not saying that will happen to your son, but this could be possibly caused by his unfortunate roommates...and what if he happens to be there?</p>

<p>Generally though...apartments are still bit further away from major classes.</p>

<p>The best one i could think of is the apartments near the Union. However...pubs and stores fill the first floor...a lot of temptations and noises.</p>

<p>My son and I have visited Purdue University twice. The last visit was a week ago. We went up there to find an apartment for him because he is determined he does not wish to live in a dorm. He will be a freshman starting in August from Tennessee. He has an NROTC scholarship. We found a beautiful apartment complex called The Fairway Student Apartments. The rent is 600 a month for a 1 bedroom and it includes water, sewer, high speed internet, and possibly cable (to be decided before August). The only thing extra is the electric and phone (if you do not have a cell phone). My only fear is that he will not socialize enough living off campus, thus possibly becoming homesick.</p>

<p>Natsmom, I understand your fear as I have kids that are kind of to themselves. That said, there is a ton to do on campus! Is the Fairway Student Apartment complex fairly close to campus? If it is, he may see all kinds of students in the same complex! But you are right, when they live off campus they seem to not seek out that same on-campus activity group. I've seen that from experience.</p>

<p>I do believe the apartments are 3 min. away from the university. Thank you for the reply. Hopefully being in the NROTC he will meet many people to interact with.</p>

<p>My son has a friend in the NROTC and really enjoys it. All the best to your son!</p>