How can I set up my freshman year to give me the freedom to change majors later?

<p>I'm an incoming Biomedical Engineering Major to A&M, but I think that I've already changed my mind to Biological and agricultural Engineering, so I'll start there. </p>

<p>I know that A&M is pretty clear about what classes its first year engineers will take (slightly different for BAEN):
ENGR 111 and 112
MATH 151 and 152
PHYS 218 and 208
CHEM 107 and 117
ENGL 104
UCC ELECTIVE
UCC ELECTIVE</p>

<p>But, I've got credit for almost all my UCCs including English and might get credit for IB Chemistry, so I have some space open to take other classes. Except for that fact that I'll be taking LCSE 002 (Honors seminar) and ENGR 181H (engineering honors seminar).</p>

<p>Right now my schedule has (without the seminars in there):
ENGR 111 (2) ENGR 112 (2)
MATH 151 (4) MATH 152 (4)
PHYS 218 (4) PHYS 208 (4)
BAEN 150 (1) CHEM 107/117 (4)
Total of 11 Hrs and total of 14 Hrs</p>

<p>I am very interested in all things biology so I could see myself switching to something like Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, or Molecular and Cell Biology later on. BIOL 111 and 112 seems pretty standard in these majors, I might want to take those. Organic Chemistry also seems to be a staple, so should I take CHEM 101/111 and 102/112?</p>

<p>Also, would the following substitutions work for changes in major?
PHYS 218 to PHYS 201
PHYS 208 to PHYS 202
CHEM 227 to CHEM 222</p>

<p>Talk to an adviser when you get to campus.</p>

<p>I agree you should probably talk to an advisor and early. My D switched a couple of years ago from BMEN (biomedical engineering) to Mechanical Engineering and lost a semester. She did not talk to her advisor early enough.</p>

<p>I hear that we do not meet with one-on-one with advisers during the NSCs, is this true? It sounds like I’ll need to talk to an adviser beforehand either way.</p>

<p>After some schedule rearranging I’ve found there’s room for one science a semester and nothing more :frowning:
Any advice as to which of the below combos would be better?</p>

<ol>
<li>CHEM 107/117 and CHEM 102/112</li>
<li>CHEM 101/111 and CHEM 102/112</li>
</ol>

<p>Could anyone attest as to how well CHEM 107 covers the content in CHEM 101 and 102? If it covers a lot, I’ll take 107 to be with other engineers and give myself the future option to stop after one semester if I feel like I don’t need CHEM 102. If it’s too skimpy I’ll take CHEM 101 and get more content.</p>

<p>I ended up being talked out of Chemistry for my first semester at my NSC. Go figure.</p>

<p>I personally would say not to accept any or your AP credit with the way the new system will work. It will be much more competitive now, will be kind of be treated as a transfer student. Take your classes again, they should be somewhat easier for you if you made a 5 on the exam. Make a good grades in ALL of your CBK courses, those are most important classes to be able to change your major and even go into upper level classes.</p>

<p>Let me know if you have any questions.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice @RadHealth. </p>

<p>After some more soul searching about what my passions are and what I want to do with my future, I’ve decided that I’m a lot more likely to stay in engineering than I originally thought. I want to make a difference in the world either by helping to design a technological innovation, doing development work in a foreign country, or tent-making in another country and I think that engineering might be better suited to these goals than more biological based expertise. And, I’m starting to like the idea of solving problems and designing things.</p>

<p>With that said, would taking credit for English and chemistry affect my chances when applying to a specific engineering major? The engineering program is set up now so that everyone starts in engineering and applies to a major beginning their second semester.</p>

<p>If you want to go into Biomedical engineering I am almost positive that they want you to take Chem 102 on campus but I would check with them to make sure. Every other engineering major I know is okay with accepting both Chem and English credit.</p>

<p>One caveat is that Chem is probably one of the “easier” CBK classes, and if you do poorly in one of them Chem could give you the boost that you need. AP credits do not count toward your CBK, but dual credit courses do. I provided a link to calculate CBK gpa, but if you accept AP credit you will have to do the calculation by hand.
<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/advising/undergraduate/gpa-calculator”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/advising/undergraduate/gpa-calculator&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here is a list of requirements to transfer into each engineering department based of CBK GPA (this might change slightly with the new system for incoming freshmen). These are also minimum requirements.
<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/changing-majors”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/changing-majors&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I should have been more specific. I meant civil, mechanical, electrical, biological, or petroleum engineering. I’ve strayed a bid away from the medical side over the summer. All of these majors require nothing more than a semester of chemistry for engineers.</p>

<p>I expect math to be easy for me since I tested out of both semesters but am retaking them anyways for GPA purposes. Since applications into engineering majors begin in the middle of the second semester and I would probably take CHEM 107 during the second semester if at all for these majors, would it affect my CBK GPA for applications purposes? And, how often is Chemistry a person’s easiest class? I ask because Chemistry was the one class I did not like in high school.</p>

<p>Yes all of those would accept a 4 or above on AP exam for chem. On the application part I’m not entirely sure how it works, I would contact someone in the engineering department or directly the majors you are debating. I personally tested out of Chem, so I do not know the difficultly of it at A&M. At least for chemistry was a ton easier than mechanics and electricity and magnetism.</p>

<p>Now saying that, if you really have strayed from Biomedical eng you could skip chem 107. To get into all the majors you listed it is “easier” based off their minimum requirements. Mechanical you need a 3.2-3.5 to be competitive, Electrical 3-3.5, Biological 2.75-3, Petroleum 3-3.5 (these are what the departments say to be competitive for transfer). Again I am not entirely sure how they are treating freshman for change of curriculum due to the new system.</p>

<p>I would contact a couple if not all the majors you are interested in and see what they say.
<a href=“Advising and Support | Texas A&M University Engineering”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/advisors&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I believe I need a 3.5 GPA for my Presidential Endowed scholarship so I intend on getting good grades regardless of major. Since I won’t be needing two semesters of chemistry I suppose I have all of first semester do decide what my game plan is and talk to advisors. I’ll investigate how accepting credit impacts my GPA as well. Thanks so much for the advice! </p>

<p>No problem, yea holding off on accepting the credit is a good idea. See how your first semester goes then decide if you want to accept the credit. There’s no rush And no problem!
I myself had no idea of the CBK, and ended up only taking 4 of the 9 CBK classes making each class worth so much more.</p>

<p>I’m just curious: what all did you get credit for and which major did you go into?</p>

<p>I went into Nuclear Engineering. Got credit for: Chem 101&102 (107), Math 151&152, Hist 105&106, Pols 206, Econ 203, Engl 104, comm 203, Bio 111&112
I think that’s all the ones I accepted. </p>

<p>Dang. I earned 52 credit hours myself, though I’ll only get use out of ENGL 104, HIST 105&106, POLS 206, ECON 203, and CHEM 101/111 if I take it. </p>

<p>Now I’m dying to ask how testing out of MATH 151&152 worked out for you. I didn’t quite feel comfortable with MATH 152 but I’m afraid I won’t be able to stand another semester of MATH 151 because I’ve taken calculus my junior and senior years and I don’t like being bored in math class; I start going insane. If it wasn’t for for all the apprehension and doubt surrounding the the possibility I would have tested out of MATH 151 myself. </p>

<p>Also, how did you use BIOL 111&112?</p>

<p>I actually only skipped calc 1, I would recommend with the new systemtake them both again as a GPA buffer. If I personally were to do it again I would start at either calc 1 or 3. You’ll have enough on your plate your first semester it will be nice not to have to worry “as much” for a class. I definitely learned somenew stuff inCalc 2 that I didn’t know. The class wasn’t bad, not what everyone makes it out to be. As for biology I might minor in so I acceptedthe credit, if I end up not minoring I believe there is a way for your advisor to remove the credit. </p>

<p>I’ve heard that there’s no way back once you’ve accepted credit for something, per student rule 8.4.3
<a href=“http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule08”>Log In ‹ Student Rules — WordPress;

<p>What year are you going into?</p>

<p>I am going into my second year, but by hours I am a Junior.
Yes I’ve seen that as well but I have a friend that go into Calc 2 the beginning of last year changed their mind about not accepting their credit. Went to their advisor and was able to get their credit for Cacl 2 and then go into Calc 3.</p>

<p>That’s the opposite of repealing credit that you’ve already accepted.</p>

<p>Yeah we’ll see if they do good, if they don’t it doesn’t affect me negatively in any way. Most majors engineering majors have technical electives that you need to graduate I could possibly use those. Those 8 of Biology won’t have any negative impact.</p>