How closely should UC essays follow the prompt?

My question specifically refers to prompt #8:

"Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for admissions to the University of California?

Things to consider: If there’s anything you want us to know about you, but didn’t find a question or place in the application to tell us, now’s your chance. What have you not shared with us that will highlight a skill, talent, challenge or opportunity that you think will help us know you better?

From your point of view, what do you feel makes you an excellent choice for UC? Don’t be afraid to brag a little."

I wrote about a life lesson I learned from pole vaulting (having to do with my mentality). Although it doesn’t seem to quite answer the prompt, I really wanted to write about this subject and none of the other prompts seemed fitting. Is this okay, or do I need to more closely follow the prompt?

If you think it says something about you not found elsewhere in the application, then go with it. That’s what this question is for. You said the other questions didn’t help you tell what you wanted to tell, so go for it.

I think your essay will be fine for the prompt. My older son wrote a similar essay on pole vault but at that time, there was only 2 UC essay prompts. Best of luck.

I also heard the pole vault story way back when from an Andover student. It’s starting to smack of being prosaic, or overdone.

OP just make sure your essay is unique to your circumstances. I can say with almost 100% certainity that my son’s essay was very unique and personal.

Best of luck.