How competitive is Karsh STEM Scholars Program?

Very interested in KSSP, just wondering how hard it is to get in. You can check my previous post to get a better idea of where I’m at but I consider Howard a safety

Calling @ChangeTheGame to this thread, as he is a parent of Karsh scholars.

Hey @magnoman. The most recent cohort (K-4) of 34 students averaged a 3.92 GPA, 1393 SAT/30 ACT. The scholarship committee names finalists after reviewing applications packets (anywhere from 100-150 students) who go through a competitive process (interviews, testing, review of ECs, etc.). In the first couple years of the program (2017-2018), 300+ students applied, but those numbers may have jumped much higher since Howard’s class size has increased by 900+ students in the last 2 years. See the Karsh STEM Scholars website for more details on requirements. Good luck to you in your college admissions journey.

If I don’t have scholarly activities should I even apply for it

For context that is one of the essays for the app

Yes, you should still apply if you are thinking about getting a PhD or MD/PhD in a STEM field and are also looking for administrative support and a full scholarship (tuition, room & board, books, and mandatory fees all paid for). My kids had very different mindsets when it came to “scholarly activities”. My DD18 was involved in many school activities that she was very passionate about. My DS20 did not really do any school activities, but was very passionate about volunteering and giving back to our community through service. I remember that same essay from last year and my DS20 (Computer Engineering major) talked about his life long love of technology and the many ways that he incorporates that love of technology into his everyday life. Despite those major differences in there ECs, both where chosen as Karsh STEM Scholars. Good luck to you.

1 Like

@ChangeTheGame Do you have any advice on what to do while waiting to hear about the finalist selection? Thank you!

1 Like

Being patience is the hardest part of the process. If selected as a finalist, you will have to take a math test, but they will send you all of the tools needed to get ready. I also suggest that any student who may have to interview may want to practice or go through a Mock interview. But don’t over do it either. You really just want to stay relaxed and be yourself and don’t be afraid to ask good questions because I wanted my kids to “interview” the KSSP team right back. I didn’t see a date on the KSSP website for selection of the finalists, but you should have an answer in 2-3 weeks. Good luck and try to enjoy the process.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement. It is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hello! Anyone received an update from Karsh? My daughter’s eagerly awaiting to learn if she’ll advance in the process.

1 Like

Hey @GAMomLuvs3. My son got his Finalist selection e-mail last year on 2/28. I can tell you that the e-mails have come the last 3 years on a Friday so I bet you will be hearing something soon. Good luck to your daughter.

1 Like

Thanks much for sharing past practices and your well wishes!

Thanks for this update. I’ve been following your posts for quite some time, and I appreciate all of the insight into Howard and Other HBCU’s (most notably Morehouse - another option for my son) you’ve provided on CC.

As a family, we were a bit shocked and disappointed in Howard’s merit package. Compared to other schools he has received Merit Packages from thus far, Howard’s package wasn’t that competitive.

But we hope that he makes the cut as a finalist for the Karsh Stem Scholars Program. Hopefully, that update comes this week. We received a notification email back in January which stated the Selection Weekend program was March 19th and 20th.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear about the disappointment in the merit aid package offered so far from Howard, but I have seen a gradual shifting of aid from Merit Aid to Need Based packages over the last 5 years from my own conversations with parents and administrators. Karsh STEM Scholars Program came through for my oldest just in time (My daughter was ready to go to Georgia Tech), so I am rooting for your son and your family. My own Morehouse experience was so amazing so I was secretly rooting for my son to chose Morehouse over Howard (I think he would have if Morehouse had made a similar merit offer to Howard). Morehouse is a special place and has a lot more money for 2021 scholarships due to the MacKenzie Scott donation.

@ChangeTheGame And I’m secretly rooting for my daughter’s first choice, Spelman, my spectacular alma mater. However, she’s evaluating all options before deciding, such as merit awards and honors experiences, like the Karsh STEM Program. Greetings, Morehouse Brother.

1 Like

It is amazing how small the world is sometimes. Greetings right back at you, Spelman Sister. Now that my kids are Howard students, my wife (CAU alum) and I sometimes let them know that there is no place quite like the AUC :grinning:

My wife has been 100% behind Howard and myself; I favor Morehouse. Ultimately a Tough decision for my son - both institutions are exceptional.

He also has been admitted into Xavier Louisiana and The University of Michigan School of Engineering during the Early Action Period. However, in Regards to Michigan - Although a Top 25 School, It’s our belief the 3-2 DDEP program via Morehouse or Howard and the Karsh Stem Scholars Program would be the best route and then on to a PWI.

My wife and I are both HBCU grads (PVAMU and UAPB, respectively) and believe in the HBCU environment (we have thrived) and its networks.
Morehouse should be releasing their financial packages very soon.

1 Like

It is good to see Prairie View and Arkansas Pine Bluff represent on CC. Very nice @PBHOU03. Your family may have to watch out for XULA. They offered my daughter a 2nd scholarship right after my daughter signed her Karsh Scholarship that would have covered the cost to attendance.

Couldn’t agree more @PBHOU03 , relative to your perspective on HBCUs versus PWI. We’re HBCU alums, as well…Spelman for me and Albany State for my husband. Luckily, our daughter only applied to 4 HBCUs (where’s she gained EA acceptance to each) - Spelman, Howard, NC A&T and FAMU. She’ll major in chemical engineering and minor in Spanish. Spelman’s the top contender (quietly roots, Yay!!); FAMU, she’s already ruled out. NC A&T, is a strong second where she’s been admitted to their honors program and is a finalist for The Dowdy Scholarship, that’ll fully fund her way. Decision arrives early March. She received a decent merit award from Spelman, just submitted her essay for the honors program, and has applied to 40+ outside scholarships, seeking to close the gap. She’s attended a wonderful, but non-diverse private school since 5th grade and is seeking to immerse herself “in the culture,” her words. :smiley:

1 Like

Your daughter has some great options and her chosen career path will lead to an abundance of job opportunities. I work in the Oil & Gas/ Downstream/ Energy Sector. Great options with that degree - Commercial Schedulers, Supply Traders, Refinery Strategy Directors Roles, - to name a few in the downstream/midstream sector.

A former O&G company I worked for has hired many HU grads. In fact, HU was the only HBCU listed on their Tier 1/2 recruiting list. During my time with the company, They hired around six grads(4 women) for their Commercial Development Program - these HU grads are still with the company and doing very well and have moved on to larger roles.

4 Likes