How difficult is it to change majors once you are accepted?

<p>So, I’m applying as an undergraduate for the fall of 2012, and was pretty much set on doing economics when my brother told me how he regrets choosing global economics as his major. He told me he would have rather done computer science or the like, and recommended that I try some computer classes in my first quarter at whichever UC I was accepted into. Would it be hard to change after the 1st quarter? I don’t want to pursue a major and career I have little interest in, but I chose economics in the beginning because of my fondness for math, particularly statistics (sadly, no economics classes are available at my school). How hard would it be to change? I’ve also read that computer science is impacted…</p>

<p>So should I just put undeclared? Or economics? Would it hurt my chances of admission (i.e. harder to be accepted if I put undeclared as opposed to economics or other specific major)?</p>

<p>Thank you for taking your time to read this.</p>

<p>My bad, fall of 2011. Silly me.</p>

<p>It depends on the UC. For UCSD, you can change your major whenever you want (assuming it’s not impacted, which econ and computer science aren’t). Also, the major you pick doesn’t affect your chances at admission. I don’t know how the other UCs differ.</p>

<p>Great, thanks for your reply :). I’m applying to Davis, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, and San Diego. I’m most interested in Davis’s or Berkeley’s policies, but there is also a chance of me attending San Diego. </p>

<p>I was a bit worried that it was a complex process.</p>