How do parents deal with sending their kids away?

Nobody is asking how do parents deal with having their kids back for the summer?

@SculptorDad Has your daughter’s school year finished already?
Enjoy those summer breaks. In college, they don’t really come home much between jobs, research or internships.

I can’t wait to have my kid home for the summer… am already dreading the college “summers elsewhere” that @doschicos alluded to. My kid has a bad cold, and has decided to ditch prom this weekend and come home. While I wish she were feeling better, I’m happy she’ll be with me for Mother’s Day (though I admit to not being a fan of such “Hallmark holidays” in general!).

@doschicos She is coming back early June. Thanks. I am going to enjoy the Summer.

The best thing you can do for your parents is to do your best and get the most out of your BS experience. When I dropped off my daughter the first few days were nice, but about a week later it hit. Call or email to let them know what’s going on and for something else other than money :))
In response to @SculptorDad my daughter ended up going back for summer school, but when she was home it was odd because she had grown as a person so much more than when she was home during spring break. We have a relatively short summer. Other than required reading and college stuff, I allowed her to take a break when she was home. I tend to forget how much more demanding her curriculum is at BS than at public HS.

@Nico.campbell May I say the possibility of entering a community of young people who navigate their world with as much grace, humor and intelligence as you demonstrate in your CC posts are one of my primary reasons for considering BS as an option for my son? Your parents apparently know their stuff. Listen to them, and believe them, when they say they want you to be happy.

Like another poster, I’m a single mom, and without oversharing, my son and I have experienced a great deal of sadness, tragedy and joy together. We are incredibly close. We even homeschool! Hahaha… As my son approaches his teens, I’ve increasingly understood I am raising an adult. My role is shifting, and my job is to love the young man he is becoming, to encourage him to broaden his world, and yes, to begin to lead his own life.

While he is not yet in BS, he has spent the majority of the past few summers at camp, on other adventures. The “childsickness” does get easier each year, as he returns home more confident, more mature and with more stories to share with boring old Mom than I could hope to hear. :slight_smile:

I no longer stalk camp photos, or worry if a week or more passes without a letter home. He is part of a broader community than I could ever replicate, especially in our small town. There is real joy on drop off days, as I watch how easily he gives a casual wave, and falls in with a group of friends. I’m proud of him. I imagine BS is similar. The time frames away from home are in chunks of time that mirror summers at camp.

And our dog? SPOILED ROTTEN over the summer! Seriously, he is poking me with his collie nose as I type, asking for attention.

@“Nico.campbell” you and I have already “talked” about the similarities you and DS have. That being said–although I know I’m going to miss him with every fiber of my being, the one thing that will trump any of my sadness is knowing we are providing him with an unbelievable opportunity-one that we parents never had. And (you’ll understand this when you become a parent) the main objective of parents is to provide a better life for your kids than you had yourself.

The best way for you to ease any of the heartache your parents may feel, is to replace it with extreme pride for how wonderfully you are doing in BS. Your success will remind them why they made this decision and will fill their hearts with pride and happiness for you in all your successes at school!

Now, that being said, you have every right to throw my words back in my face when I’m a sobbing mess!! :))

In my house, we deal by over preparing - making sure, and then doubly sure, that the child had everything they need, and everything we can think of that will give the kid the best chance of success. Or at least eliminate every possible excuse for not having success. Preparation is the one thing still in our control.

Enjoying every minute we can with kid as the sand runs through our fingers. No fouling the nest here - it’s bringing us closer together.

Thank you all for your kind responses! Really it does mean so much. I’ I hope you all have a great (soon to be) fall and that your kids at bs do too!!

I’m a bit concerned about my mom because she’s had a really emotional summer. My grandpa was diagnosed with ALS and she has spent almost the entire summer in Europe taking care of him and it has been really difficult for her. And on top of that she’s saying bye to both kids as soon as she gets home. I think that my dad is going to take her to NYC right after Choate in the fall. I’m definitely going to make a mental note to send lots of pics and maybe even some cards to her…

Thank you so much for all of these responses :slight_smile: I haven’t checked this thread in a LONG time and seeing all that you guys wrote made me really happy!