How do students at UW-Mad think of Chinese in general?

<p>Ok, I'm from Hong Kong and will be attending UW-Mad in fall 2006. I am very excited and will possibly pursue a Chemistry major.</p>

<p>How does UW-Mad students think of Chinese people? Well, since, white is certainly a majority: 80% (is it?), do they often get the stereotype that some (not sure most) american have on Chinese? (for example, they are just good for Maths, duh)</p>

<p>And I been recently introduced to the phenomenon of "Asian girl dates white guy. Asian guy loses asian girl. White girl rejects asian guy. Asian guy is usually left alone." How serious is that in UW-Mad?</p>

<p>The time when I visited the campus (mid APril), I loved the environment. I loved how the people were - they were pretty nice. But I still want to know what is behind it all.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't thinkyou should be too worried about white people stealing your women. I can only speak from personal experience in high school, but I know plenty of asian guys who are dating asian girls- if anything, asian girls prefer asian guys.</p>

<p>As far as stereotypes go, they're probably present anywhere you go, and not more prevalent in Wisconsin than anywhere else. I doubt there is a lot of racism despite the white majority.</p>

<p>haha. I would not worry about that.</p>

<p>Hehe... Chill, bro.</p>

<p>In my small wisconsin town, a lot of asians pretend to be ghetto/gansta, which oddly enough, attracts the pretty white girls like magnets. It's weird-- there will be like five asian guys wearing heavy gold chains, bandanas, and baggy pants, and three pretty white girls following them, giggling all the way.</p>

<p>But anyway, for the asians who don't act like that, they lead lives like everyone else. Nothing unusual... just normal.</p>

<p>ceecee, where do you live now?</p>

<p>Manitowoc by Lake Michigan.</p>

<p>Our situation is probably unique only to Manitowoc. Just don't worry, k?</p>

<p>Ok. Thanks.</p>

<p>Don't knock all the sterotypes - my UW days are fondly bookended by my Chinese freshman roommate and one of my grad school buddies each of whom would both pull out their string instruments and entertain when we all got drunk. </p>

<p>Well, one fits the stereotype - it was a guitar and a violin.</p>

<p>Well, at least you remembered what they did when you were drunk . :)</p>

<p>The way I see it and one of the things I love about the midwest in general is that although there is a smaller number of minorities, the relationship between races seems to be a lot better than most places. I don't believe racial tensions are all that bad in the Midwest and I think Wisconsin is a very accepting student body. I applied to all midwestern schools simply for the friendly atmosphere and although a very homogenous student body, what minorities are present are incorperated into the school very well.</p>

<p>At my high school now we have a METCO program to bring minorities from the inner city of boston to the suburbs schools. From what I've seen, the minorities at my high school tend to stick together and are very negative to others that are different from them.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about stereotypes, or being treated any differently than other people at the university.</p>

<p>Here in Southwest the biggest minority is, of course, Mexicans, they stick together, as well as blacks. The rest kinda disperse. I am a minority myself (Ukrainian), and at my lunch table there is an American, a Vietnamese, a Korean, an Indonesian, a Taiwanese, and an Iranian. From what i've heard, over in the North and Midwest its the same (except theres almost no mexicans)
I dont see Asian chicks dating Whites. Here it would be like a Black girl dating a White guy. However, over in New England, and especially in Quebec, it's a more common picture to see an Asian girl making out with a White or a Black (both gross me out, no offence).</p>

<p>Well, it wouldn't be gross to me. If one likes another, race would be irrelevant. I just don't like those who date race specifically.</p>

<p>The gross part would be making out in public. Ick.</p>

<p>white girls and azn guys, azn guys and white girls man</p>

<p>... so ceecee, you wouldn't date an Asian guy or a non-white guy because it's gross?</p>

<p>I just don't get what ohnoes just said.</p>

<p>No no no... It has nothing to do with race. I just hate seeing people-- of any race-- making out where everyone can see them.... like when you're trying to relax at the beach and some couple is practically humping each other twenty feet away. Or, when you're trying to watch a movie, and the couple behind you is making such strange noises... well, you don't even want to look behind you... I'd like to say to those people "Get a room!" </p>

<p>I just believe that stuff should be kept private.</p>

<p>Oh sorry, I misunderstood. hehe</p>