How do you get multiple degrees/majors?

Hello, I am a prospective first year student at Purdue. I would be coming in with about 70 credits completed from dual credit or AP classes, so I sat down and planned my schedule for Purdue so that I can get the most out of my education. I have plotted all of the classes I would need to take, and I can fit all of the classes required for me to graduate with a CS, Mathematics, and Statistics degree with about 30 extra credits free for electives. However, I am not sure how I would go about getting multiple majors from the get-go. I have only seen information about how to request a second major once already in a specific college/department, and this poses a slight problem for me, since, for example, the CS department says that you must be able to complete your CS degree within 5 semesters of your approval as a multi-degree student, and I am hoping to be a multi-degree student when I first enroll.

Do any of you know how I should go about getting multiple majors/degrees? I’ve heard you are supposed to apply to the major that is the most competitive first and then worry about the rest later, would that mean applying as a CS student primarily and then just taking all the required classes and waiting until my junior year to ask to get multiple majors? It just makes me feel antsy to leave it up in the air for a few years and hope they accept my classes as credit for other departments.

Personally I think that CS and math are a very good combination. I did a math major with quite a lot of CS courses myself.

I don’t think that you should worry about this too much. Starting off as a CS major makes a lot of sense both for the reason that you cite and because it is more obviously straight up employable right out of undergrad. However, find out what courses are required for a math major, and plan to take them. After a semester or two talk to your advisor about taking a dual major.

One of my daughters ended up with a dual major. She did start off with one, and added the other after I think a couple of years at university. This required a bit more than the normal total class load over 4 years. It is good that you have mapped out the required classes to make sure that they all fit in. It sounds like you are well ahead of schedule and shouldn’t have any trouble fitting in the required classes.

If you end up with just one degree but with the full course load required for the dual major, then you will still be in very good shape going forward. I would be surprised however if you have any trouble adding the second degree unless you end up having trouble in some of the classes.