How important is a music composition degree for an undergrad (vs. a more general music degree)?

How important is a specific composition degree is for undergrad? In my research, it seems like that degree is mostly a stepping stone for a grad program.

My son is a top student/high test scores, and he is passionate about both comp sci and music composition. (I’ve read the dual degree dilemma essay.) He does not want to attend a conservatory, and he is considering some schools that have a more general ed music undergrad degree (like music theory) with a composition professor on staff, while also majoring in comp sci. If he then decides to pursue the composition in grad school, do you see any issues with this?

He’s composing a LOT right now, entering contests and doing very well, but he isn’t ready to commit to a life of music composition (although sometimes I think he can’t not do it, so that leaves us in a tricky spot). We are really trying to understand whether a university with no music comp as an option will hurt him in the end if he decides in 3 years that he needs to follow his music composition heart. Can he continue to compose on the side with no music degree? What if the school has no music composition professor?

This feels like a very specific path and I want to understand the implications to help him make these decisions.

I will answer your PM but just want to say that most universities and colleges include composition in their general BA (lberal arts) music curriculum, and have at least one composition teacher.

A student composer does not even have to major in music, honestly, though taking needed classes in theory and history are a good idea. The important thing is to have lessons, and performances, which can be through extracurricular organizations and especially summer programs, which are essential for networking and meeting faculty from potential grad programs.

I know several who have majored in CS or engineering or whatever and have gone on to doctorates in composition. Of course CS and music can intersect in creative work and music technology is also part of most curricula.

I am not sure what he envisions as a “career in composition.” Most composers have other jobs, often teaching, though universities are using adjuncts a lot these days.

I like what you wrote about how he can not NOT write music. That is a very important statement. That said, he may not need or want the immersive experience of a BM where 2/3-3/4 classes are music. I personally think that, long term, composers benefit from courses in art history, literature, political and social issues, and yes, of course, technology.

He can certainly apply to grad school with 3-4 good pieces and there are many ways to accomplish that. Grad students do come from all different backgrounds. I even know a couple of BA music students who went into direct doctoral programs.

It is easier to do music as an extracurricular than it is to do CS as an extracurricular. He could major in CS and minor in music, do a double major (difficult) or double degree, or just do CS and extracurricular music. Summer programs are key!

3 Likes

ps Maybe he could look into Walden School in Dublin NH for this summer. It is 6 weeks, has interesting classes, composition teachers, renowned visiting composers and musicians (who share meals with students) and every student has a 10-15 minute piece played. There is also hiking and other group activities.

Boston Conservatory has a shorter program that is also really good.

pps At the college level, if he wants to work in CS, he would do internships after junior and senior year so at some point he will have to choose between that and summer programs in music.

Some schools have specific distinctions of “general music” which I’m interpreting to probably be musicology (music history, theory-related content). Music composition is helpful to those who want to study composition and depending on school to school: can be super selective and competitive, or more open to a lot of students.

Also most composition majors, usually have to take some type of theory/history as well that is in compliance with their degree requirement so even if your son is not going in as a musicology major, he would be required to take musicology-related courses such as theory and history.

That being said you are correct though. On paper: it isn’t necessary to get a music composition degree as an undergrad.
However, schools with an undergrad music composition program offer him the ability to get a head start on having access to courses that is specific to music composition during his 4yrs at college/uni. Certain schools with strong composition programs also allow your son to work with top-class educators in the field and access recommendations for an even stronger grad program.

But given that he’s attempting to dual major: definitely he should carefully consider what he expects his college life to look in order to make decisions about a school or major first.
Composition is always something you can do on the side even if you never get a degree for it. But getting into the academic school system side of it: needs preparation and running the gymnastics of applications like any other major.

Definitely keep doing contests and keep composing even as an undergrad if he has plans to do composition in grad school instead: because by grad school-- most schools want a portfolio proof that you compose and have skill and knowledge of it.

In the case that your son isn’t totally sure about double majoring: definitely pick a school with an option of the Comp Sci degree and music composition department-- not just musicology. And studying music composition usually has musicology-centric classes in it anyways!

Your son needs to also read these essays.

1 Like