How important is the SSAT?

Hi everyone! I’m an international student from Portugal applying to boarding schools, and since English isn’t my first language I’m not very confident on my SSAT Verbal and Reading Section… I’m taking it because it’s mandatory for some schools, do you think a 70th percentile is very bad or it might be enough?

Of course for some schools it’s enough. For some – very good! – schools a score in the 50th percentile is enough.

I’m applying to really competitive schools because of my financial need, like Exeter, Lawrenceville and Deerfield. Do you think is maybe enough for them? I have good extracurriculars and my interviews went well until now…

70 SSAT + financial need is going to make the rest of your application critical for tippy-top schools like Exeter, L’Ville or Deerfield. If you’re applying to really competitive schools because of financial need, check out Mercersburg Academy, a competitive school that has been generous with aid to certain applicants.

I don’t know the most recent effectiveness of going Test-Optional at the boarding school level - perhaps someone else here can speak to that. There used to be a great thread that captured the results of boarding school applicants - having a brain cramp right now and forgetting the title but it was an annual list. We found that to be a useful resource.

The SSAT is used as only one part of the picture. Different middle schools cover different material and grade using different metrics. For example, two schools may both require students to submit corrections of questions they got wrong on tests, but only one of them may improve the student’s grade as a result. So, 2 students, same work, different grades! This can make GPA comparisons tricky for AOs. The SSAT is one of the few things that allows schools to compare applicants “equally”.

A poor score can signal that a student may not be prepared to handle the work at a given school, although some schools are pretty good at reading through that noise. (I have often told the story of the student at DS’ school who had a score in the 30s on one subsection and is now finishing a degree at Harvard. )

For a foreign student, the SSAT can signal whether the student’s English is proficient enough to handle what for many students is a much heavier reading load than they are used to. I am not an AO, but my hunch is that a score in the 70s would not be a huge red flag, especially if you are not a native speaker and do not attend an English-speaking school. They would probably assume that your English will improve rapidly in an immersion situation.

Any school, however, will be looking to see what else you bring to the community. That will be what you are admitted for, not grades and scores. To that end, I would suggest that you expand your list. Filter first for schools that give FA at the level you need it to international students. Some don’t do it at all, some will do it if it’s less than half, and others have no restrictions. But know that after you have found those schools, even with perfect grades and scores, it’s hard to say who will be admitted to any school. If it’s your dream to attend a US BS, cast your net wider and where the fish are!

As for you and TO, I think the SSAT is a good way to show your English proficiency.

Briefly, about TO…There were schools that were TO (or just weighting the SSAT very little) even before covid, and most had students do a writing “assignment” during their interview and had them provide their math textbooks. They felt this was a better indication of readiness than the SSAT – and it allowed them to spot kids with aptitude who just hadn’t been taught the material that was on the SSAT.

Covid created a situation where almost all BS were TO for a while. Many schools did not have an alternative way of assessing applicants (as above) but quickly came up with something. At the same time, many students fell behind/lost learning during the pandemic. As pandemic era applicants enrolled at BS after this TO year or two, it became difficult for schools to tease out whether problems they saw with performance related to being TO or to pandemic learning deficits. Many returned to require tests.

Hopefully this long explanation makes you comfortable about submitting and understanding how it’s used.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarifaction! I’ll be sending also a proficiency test to all schools (I have C1) and I won’t be sending my score to schools like Choate, Andover,… Where it’s optional!

Also if my Verbal ad Reading in the SSAT isn’t good but my maths one is, does that help?

All you can do is do your best! No one here is in an admissions office. Just do your best, and the score will be what the score will be.

2 Likes

My son attends an eight school. Being international and needing financial assistance, you likely need to be a recruited athlete or bring something special to the table. I would focus more on your essays than worry about your SSAT score. Good luck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it does. It shows that your math skills will allow you to do well in those classes. But as @cinnamon1212 points out, we are not AOs.

You should prepare for a retake of the SSAT.

While a score of 70 won’t eliminate you from consideration for admission, it won’t help either.

A low score on the reading portion would be a major concern which a high math score will not offset.

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure how much it’s taken into account for a lot of schools, but I know it’s very clear that Choate simply doesn’t care; at least, that’s the impression that the admissions people very strongly instilled through repetition.

I think you should a submit a SSAT score for sure. Try and take the test again but submit your 70 if it isn’t higher and be proud of your score as a non-native speaker. It is a difficult test and you are being compared to a very competitive pool. I think it puts you in a positive light particularly compared to a more general English score. This not a 70/100 at all.

If you don’t receive an acceptance or enough aid, it won’t be because of the SSAT. There aren’t enough spots for highly qualified perfect score / full pay kids. Boarding schools build a class to fit their unique needs.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m involved in several extracurriculara, I teach English, I created a non profit, I mentor students and do Model UN!

Thank you! I’m only sending for schools where it’s mandatory…I know Exete cares a lot more about the writing section! So I’m focusing on that…

Just a side note to add that if that’s your real name you should probably change it here on the site. Maybe @skieurope can help with that?

1 Like

thank you, i will…it’s not my “real name” but i will. can i ask you why?

People should generally be anonymous on a site called College Confidential. Since posts aren’t deleted, most users don’t want someone figuring out who they are and doxxing them

2 Likes

Okay! Thank you for the clarification…I just logged in with the email and forgot about that!..

Hey @skieurope I can’t seem to edit the comment where I typed part of the name. Can you delete that for me pls?