How inaccurate is this?

<p>Okay, I talked to my counselor and told her that the govt. would be able to pay for me to go to college because I am a son of a single mother with four kids who makes about $20,000 a year. I was told before that I would get a hefty amount of aid and grants that would cover almost all of the tuition. However, I went to my counselor and she said that govt. grants, etc. would only cover about $5, 000. That's the MAXIMUM they cover. I, personally, believe that she was a horrible counselor before, and I just wanted to know what she had to say about that. Is this true though? (btw, she isn't the best counselor). lol. thanks!</p>

<p>I think the truth is somewhere in between what you believe and what the GC said.</p>

<p>I imagine it also depends on which school you ultimately go to. You definitely wouldn’t have to pay anything for the top few. Not sure about the schools farther down the list that don’t have as much money.</p>

<p>Is DePaul University considered one of the top “few”?</p>

<p>Cost and Financial Aid
Costs (2009-10)
Comprehensive Costs: $37,959 includes full-time tuition ($26,765), mandatory fees ($577), and room and board ($10,617). Full-time tuition and fees vary according to program. Part-time tuition: $475 per quarter hour. Part-time tuition and fees vary according to program
Room and board: College room only: $7827. Room and board charges vary according to board plan, housing facility, and location
Payment plans: Installment, deferred payment
Waivers: Employees or children of employees</p>

<p>Financial Aid
Of all full-time matriculated undergraduates who enrolled in 2008, 9,947 applied for aid, 7,837 were judged to have need, 652 had their need fully met. 3,681 Federal Work-Study jobs (averaging $3376)
In 2008, 466 non-need-based awards were made
Average percent of need met: 60%
Average financial aid package: $17,279
Average need-based loan: $4832
Average need-based gift aid: $12,907
Average non-need-based aid: $9008
Average indebtedness upon graduation: $19,172</p>

<p>well if it turns out that you can’t pay despite grants, loans, aid, sholarships, gov’t assisstance, etc… the national guard will pay for you, that’s a fact. don’t get that confused with rotc, because they only give 10 scholarships per school or something.</p>

<p>“told her that the govt. would be able to pay for me to go to college”</p>

<p>The government may be “able” to pay for you to go to college but that doesn’t mean they will. Without committing to some government obligation, such as ROTC, you are going to need the university to contribute substantial amounts of aid at any $20K+ per year schools. And as another poster wrote, only the top colleges have pockets deep enough for the $35K and up tuition hit. Are your grades / SAT / ACT scores good enough to get into one of the Ivys?</p>

<p>“the national guard will pay for you”</p>

<p>Is this the program that you are referring to?
[College</a> First](<a href=“http://www.paguard.com/html/college_first.html]College”>http://www.paguard.com/html/college_first.html)</p>

<p>i don’t believe so. i really need to learn more, but i think that you can just go to college and then you have to serve a number of years. however, i think you will be in the reserves so you may only have to go to the base 1 weekend a month unless you get activated. i really need to learn more before i can say anything definitive.</p>

<p>Your counselor is probably correct. Unless you sign up for some type of military program such as ROTC, the government is not going to pay for you to go to school. You may be eligible for a Pell grant which may be close to $5000. Otherwise, you need to fill out the FAFSA to determine what your expected family contribution will be towards your college education. If the FAFSA determines that your need is $40,000 per year and the school costs $40,000 per year, it does not mean that you will go to school for free. Many schools do not meet full financial need and most have loans (sometimes extensive) as part of the financial aid package. The top schools (such as ivies, Stanford, MIT, etc) tend to have the best financial aid packages. Are your stats good enough to apply to these schools?
If you need advice about financial aid, etc, you might repost this on the financial aid board. However, be careful about how you phrase it. You don’t want to make it seem like you feel entitled to have the government pay for your college education.</p>

<p>“You don’t want to make it seem like you feel entitled to have the government pay for your college education.”</p>

<p>I wonder if our responses have improved the perceived quality of the guidance counselor?</p>

<p>Yes!!! Definitely. More comments are helpful.</p>

<p>try this
<a href=“https://fafsa4caster.ed.gov/F4CApp/index/index.jsf[/url]”>https://fafsa4caster.ed.gov/F4CApp/index/index.jsf&lt;/a&gt;
it is called fasfa 4caster and it will tell you how much to expect from the gov</p>