How is the food in the dining halls and sorority houses?

<p>Does anyone have any input on what the food is like? My daughter was there for a summer camp and did not like it much except for the delicious desserts! I think there may be more variety during the school year, though.</p>

<p>My D liked the food at Bryant Hall. She ate lunch there every weekday.</p>

<p>Son isn’t an early riser so he doesn’t eat breakfast anywhere :(</p>

<p>For lunch he eats at Fresh Foods (the all inclusive option at the Ferg), sometimes eats at Bryant or uses his Dining Dollars to eat at the Subway in Altson (or Bidgood?) before or after Business classes or meetings. He also eats at the place that is in Lloyd before or after math classes in Gordon Palmer or Honors classes in Nott Hall.</p>

<p>I think he mainly uses Lakeside Dining for dinner and late night but he also eats at Burke when they are going to a Basketball game or Gymnastics meet…</p>

<p>The students really can mix it up if they are so inclined…hope this helps :)</p>

<p>DD only ate at the dining hall (I believe it was Lakeside) a couple of meals during recruitment and maybe 2 or 3 during her Fall semester. she has not been back. Because she is in a sorority and we pay for her meals there she has been encourage (okay…told) that she needs to eat at the house. Since she lived in Tut her freshman year it was easy just to walk across the street to eat. If she was going to miss lunch the cooks would make her a sack lunch, all she had to do was ask. The same went for dinner. she would just request a “late plate” and it would be waiting for her. She generally likes the food at the house. The cooks are great about trying to make some of the girls favorites. They even went so far as to contact us and ask us to send our daughter’s favorite food recipes. Fried Fridays were new for us but DD love them. I know that they are trying to give no-fried options as well. Since there is no Friday dinner or weekend meals the girls eat out or go over to Julia’s. We made sure that she had lots of Bama Bucks since many place around campus will use them. We also did a separate budget line item for weekend dining out. DD’s boyfriend is in a fraternity and I can say he too did eat at the dining halls (even though freshman year he lived very close to Lakeside). I’m not sure if it was because of the food (although DD did say she thought it was not good) or simply because most of her sisters and friends did not.</p>

<p>My D chose to opt out of a meal plan when she pledged a sorority. She loves the food at her house (though she does complain that it’s hard to “be good” because it’s all so tempting)! She has not had any regrets about opting out of the greek 50. I felt silly paying $200 for nothing, but if I had bought the Greek 50, I don’t think she would have ever stepped foot in the dining halls, anyway.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for this info. I was wondering about how it worked with the dining halls and sorority meal plan. If you opt out of the Greek 50 where do students get their food?</p>

<p>The “Greek” students eat most of their meals at the house…remember every student is required to have $300 dining dollars each semester (which can be used all around campus) and then they also use Bama cash and also just good ole cash, credit and debit cards for the rest of their meals. Also many students choose to buy breakfast and snack item at Publix on campus…to have food in their rooms or snack items to go with them :)</p>

<p>So each student is required to have $300 dining dollars/semester but you can opt out (for $200) of the meal plan even if in a sorority or off campus?</p>

<p>Yup… :slight_smile: </p>

<p>[Welcome</a> to CampusDish at The University of Alabama!](<a href=“http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSS/Alabama/MealPlans/FraternityandSorority.htm]Welcome”>http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSS/Alabama/MealPlans/FraternityandSorority.htm)</p>

<p>Looks like having the Greek Plan is $466/semester so one may chose to pay the “opt out” fee of $200 or for $266 more get 50 meals out of it…but if your student won’t use the plan I guess it is better just to pay the fee…</p>

<p><a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/meal-plans.html[/url]”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/meal-plans.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>WOW. This link (campusdish) provides a lot more info than the regular UA dining link! Thanks!</p>

<p>Some of the sororities post their weekly menus on their websites. You can find their websites through uapanhellenic.com. I know that doesn’t attest to the quality, but it might give you an idea of what is served.</p>