How soon does Mays Business School Fill up? i.e. Should we just look elsewhere?

Hello, my son is interested in attending A&M next year, but hasn’t finished his application yet. We didn’t realize it was first come first serve, and we wanted to visit the campus before he decided what major he wanted to commit to. The reason for the delay for a major decision was because we have to consider ROTC scholarship requirements. They want engineering majors.

Anyway, my son decided he wants to major in business. Scholarship or not. It fits him better. I guess my real question is, how soon does the business school fill up for Freshmen? We are going for a visit with the Corps of cadets this week, 18 Sep, and will finish the application as soon as we come back. He has his essays done. Are we wasting our time? Will the business school already be filled? Even though A&M is a great school, he’s not going to change his major just so he can attend it. It would be great if he could go to A&M, though.

We are a military family stationed in California. We are Texas residents.

Thanks for any help or input!

@raskolnyki - My daughter and I visited with a Mays counselor in August and asked her the same question. She said she can’t give an exact date, but try to have the application in by October. The earlier the better to be safe. It probably fill up sometime in the month of October judging by her comments.

I’d go ahead and send it in now if he is an academic admit. I understand your concern sight unseen, but chances are quite good that your son will love it. Are you waiting due to application fees? Or the commitment to the Corps? You can add/subtract the Corps from your application - it is just an interest in the Corps, not a commitment to join. As far as majors for Mays, you apply to each major later - your choice upfront does not have to match what you selected as a freshman. You take several courses before you apply to your major. In the big pictures, the application fee is pretty low to allow him the option to attend should he discover this is his #1. Also, if another major is still open once you receive your acceptance you can switch to any open major. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information. I guess we better get moving! Did you set up your counselor appointment directly through the counselor or through the visitor’s center? I’m having a difficult time getting a hold of anyone. I’m coming from California and I’d hate to miss the counselor. Thanks!

From what I understand, you can only be an academic admit if you are going to a high school in Texas? We are Texas residents, but are military stationed outside. My son definitely wants to join the Corps. In fact he is spending the night with Corps and going to a weekend football game with them this week. I wasn’t worried about the fee. I was concerned he might get locked into something without having the ability to change his mind, or at least tweak it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It really helps. As I’m sure you all know, my head is about to explode with everything I’m doing. He’s doing his part and helping too. It’s just that there’s so many details and things to do, and do right! :slight_smile:

Academic admits are available to everyone :slight_smile: Mine were both academic admits & we’re OOS (also both are/were in Mays). The top 10% is for Texas only. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

The only thing you can’t change are the essays. You can update scores/activities/awards if you need to add to your file. You can check the box with interest in various honors programs if you’d like. If he changes his mind & decides to go engineering, he needs to have both majors switched to engineering if they are 85% full, you compete for the last 15% in holistic review but only those who have both majors listed in engineering. Mays fills to 100% without any stopping point, so it is full faster. My son debated between engineering & business, he ultimately chose business honors but I made sure he could switch if he needed to after hitting the submit button. Your time is limited as to how long you have to switch as the majors do fill quickly here. Good luck!

@raskonlyki. The fact that your son wants to be in the Corps is a plus.

@k20903 corps membership does not affect admission decisions, if that’s what you’re implying. It has been a long time since that item was dropped from admissions criteria.