How to apply [International student from China]

In order to be accepted by a prestigious school in the US, you would need to be one of the very top students in all of China. Hundreds of Chinese students with perfect grades and perfect SATs get rejected by these schools every year.

If your parents can afford to pay 250k in total, you might consider applying to good state colleges, or 3rd tier private colleges that cost a bit less. It is still to your advantage to come study in the US, since you will be well positioned then for business between china and the US, having become fluent in both cultures and languages.

This answer was provided to you.

In addition, you need to be familiar with the Common App. Most U.S. universities use this for applications including international students. It outlines what materials you need to submit for each school(grades, test scores, essays, letters of recommendation, awards, extracurricular activities, supplemental material, etc.).

And if you want to study in the U.S., you’ll need a much broader list of schools. The schools you’ve listed are extremely competitive.

1 Like

I commend you for starting your research early if you hope to study in the US. You are getting great advice in this thread and I expect some of the regular posters with experience in international applications will add more information soon.

In the meantime, I second the recommendation to contact EducationUSA China.
EducationUSA China

In some countries, attending a prestigious university is extremely important. So you need to decide if you want to study in the US (even if at a school you’ve never heard of) or if you only want to study in the US if you can attend what is perceived to be a prestigious US university by people in your country. You’ve only named extremely selective universities, but I’m unsure if that is all you will consider or those are the only ones you have heard of.

If you are only interested in internationally famous US schools, identify universities in your home country that you will be happy to attend if you are not accepted at any US universities (much more likely than not due to extremely low admit rates).

If you are willing to look outside the most famous schools start researching schools that have highly regarded business schools (or whatever area of interest). For example, Indiana University Kelley School of Business is a very respected and highly ranked business school, but the university as a whole is not as highly ranked. US students often apply there as a backup if they are not accepted to schools with extremely low chances of admissions like UPenn Wharton.
IU Kelley School of Business
IU Admissions - International Services

While I’m not a big fan of USNews rankings, that is a good place to identify well-regarded US business schools you may not have heard of. Search for “Best Undergraduate Business Programs”, otherwise you may get a list of graduate schools. Research the schools and their admissions process for international students.

Since you have stated you will not have financial need, I am taking costs out of consideration. Just take note of the other posts that have pointed out the costs of US universities. If you do have financial need, we can help identify schools where that is possible.

I look forward to following your journey. Keep up your grades and enjoy high school!

1 Like

Are you in your penultimate year of High School or do you still have 2 years to go?

Is your school selective entrance or can anyone age 14 or 15 go there? Are there “levels” of classes and is your level considered good?
Do students from your school routinely attend university? Selective university?
What are your best subjects right now?

You can create an account on CommonApp.org and look at the elements they require.
The process is very lengthy and involved, too complicated to describe in a post here.

The #1 question for internationals is whether their parents can afford to pay $40,000, or $60,000, or $80,000 each year
 or less than that.
Ask your parents if you can.
Indeed, internationals are admitted as part of one of two pools: full pay students (students whose families will not require money from the university’s budget) and students who need financial aid (and will thus be competing for limited amounts from the university’s budget).

Another issue, as mentioned above, is that there are 3,700 universities and colleges in the US. The top 10% or so (375 universities/colleges) are all good. However, people in China may only know about a dozen of these. Are you willing to attend a good university even if no one’s heard of it in China?

What do you want to study?
Are you mentioning “business” because you want to work for a company later on (in which case, programs in economics, global management, etc., may open more choices for you).
NYU accepts results of the Gaokao for instance but is likely to expect your parents to pay $85,000 each year. It is an enormous amount of money, usually several years’ worth of income for a family who lives outside the US and even in the US it’s above the average annual income for a family of 4.
Americans may have access to some financial aid but international students don’t.

In addition, look at programs in English in Europe (in the EU and in the UK).

1 Like

Hi @Peter5, as others have already mentioned here, the schools you’ve listed are highly competitive and require a strong holistic application / strategy for consideration and acceptance. Without knowing your stats and intent of applying to universities in the US, it can be quite difficult and costly without showing a return on your desired outcomes and the time you’ve spent on the process

Given that you’re only in your second year of high school, I strongly urge you to do some initial research on attending college in the US and weighing that against going to university in your home country or elsewhere.