How to apply [International student from China]

I am an International students from China, but I am not a Internatioal high school student, I am a normal chinese high school students. According to the information that some universities in US accept chinese College entrance examination score(GaoKao), such as Brown University. So what should I do and prepare for applying it? Should take the SAT test?

You are an international student from China applying to colleges here. Because you reside in China and are a citizen there, right?

Some questions.

1. Have you already Identified affordable college choices in China?
  2. What are your grades like?
  3. Will you be seeking financial aid to study here…and if so….how much. Actually…how much can your parents pay for you to study here.

@MYOS1634 any advice for this student.

I want to study in US directly after graduating from high school.And my parents can afford all of my tuition fees, and I can work in my spare time there to earn my tuition fees.

Think again. You will be coming here to study on a student visa…not a work visa. Your ability and amount of work here as a student will be very limited. It’s unlikely you could earn enough to pay college tuition here.

But if your family has money already put aside for all four years of college here…that is terrific.

Depending on the college, you could be looking at more than $80,000 USD per year.

What colleges are you thinking about.

1 Like

I am thinking about the Wharton Business School, The Business School of Columbia University and Mays Business School of Texas A&M, and the English studying of Harvard.

Will you be applying for need based aid?

and how about applying for scholarships?

No, I wont , but applying for Scholarships from school or some companies like MPower.

Columbia, Penn, and Harvard only give need based aid…no merit scholarships.

TAMU does appear to have some merit awards, but likely very competitive for their school of business.

Columbia, Penn and Harvard are $80,000 or so a year now.

TAMU is about $60,000 per year.

If you aren’t applying for need based aid, plan to be paying $80,000 a year or more at Penn, a Harvard and Columbia. And you will need to complete a certificate of finances that documents that you have the full costs for all four years available at the ready…in order to get a student visa.

3 Likes

Yes right now. But the first thing is I have to be accepted by them successfully, so can you give me some suggestions on it? What kind of papers and materials should I prepare for applying for these universities?

My opinion….these colleges are very very hard to get accepted to here with extremely low acceptance rates for international students.

If you really want to study here, you need a much more varied list with some less competitive and affordable colleges.

You should also be looking for colleges in your home country.

Hoping @MYOS1634 chimes in.

1 Like

Go to each website for each university you wish to apply to. Look at the preparation for admission. Look at the international student section for each school. See if there are further requirements.

You cannot work in the US, to earn your tuition fees, without a work visa. The tuition fees are extremely expensive. If you choose a school that costs 80K per year then your family will have to pay $320K +/- for 4 years.

An an international student, working on campus is limited and those earnings are just for spending monies. You can apply for scholarships but those are very hard to get. Your family must show that they can pay for all four years for anywhere you plan to apply and you cannot rely upon getting work or scholarships to pay for any of those fees.

Education USA is a service provided in China to help you understand how to apply to US colleges and universities. You may want to try to contact them.

EducationUSA is your official source on U.S. higher education. EducationUSA China is based in the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and in the Consulates General in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenyang .

2 Likes

That’s a graduate school.

4 Likes

What year are you in high school?

What are your grades so far?

I was fist studied in high school in the year of 2021, and my SAT core can get 1345 in average.

thanks for your suggestions. But I cant find out what kind of papers should I prepare for, for example self introduction…

For the colleges you have listed, you would need to be a top student in your country…and have an SAT score that exceeds 1500 or more…in my opinion.

You won’t graduate high school until 2025. Take a challenging courseload, and start opening your mind to some colleges other than the ones in your first post here.

Some of these colleges accept less than 10% of the international students who apply. So…start thinking about other options as well.

In terms of preparation…you need to be a top student. You can look on the applications for the types of essay topics that will be expected but they do change…so this is just to give you an idea.

Look at the applications for admissions online, and you will see what you need to answer. You don’t write a letter of introduction….you do an application for admission.

You need to absolutely talk to your parents about finances. At most colleges here, international students must apply for need based aid as incoming freshmen or they can not do so in the future.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big, but also you need to be prepared for every outcome. Harvard is one of only five schools that offers full need-based aid to international students (also MIT, Yale, Princeton, Amherst). According to the latest Common Data Set, Harvard admitted 287 international students. At some schools (not sure about Harvard), Chinese students may make up half of the international group. Let’s say 150 students from China maximum. Are you among the top 150 students in China? That is the level you need to be at to have a realistic shot at Harvard. Actually, it’s probably a smaller group who are admitted purely on academic grounds, since Harvard does admit students on the basis of other factors like wealth and power.

Since you can pay the full cost, you will have a much higher chance of admission at any school other than the five mentioned above, because you won’t be competing against all Chinese students, only the smaller group that can pay. But anywhere you apply, you will be competing against other Chinese students, and at Ivies and similar, your chances of admission will be lower than even the very low overall acceptance rates because there are thousands of international students with the same idea.

The good news is that the selectivity tends to shift as you move away from the top-ranked universities. Many state schools are happy to accept lots of international and specifically Chinese students who are paying full tuition.
You may want to look at universities that have higher acceptance rates, in places that may be a little less desirable for Chinese students (not major cities), if you want to be sure of admission to a US university.

This isn’t accurate. Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Bowdoin, Amherst and Dartmouth pledge to meet the full need of all international students and these schools are need blind for admissions.

There are a bunch of others that meet full need for all admitted international students, but they are need aware for admissions…meaning that financial need is considered when the application for admission is reviewed.

I’m not sure this has been clarified. The student mentioned that he could work to earn tuition money too…and I’m not positive his parents know the costs of these colleges.

Agree…this student needs to open his mind to other colleges. Right now…he has only three since one of his originals is a grad program only.

2 Likes

Blockquote Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Bowdoin, Amherst and Dartmouth pledge to meet the full need of all international students and these schools are need blind for admissions.

Good to know that there are a couple of more schools on the list.

Also, international students are limited to 20 hours/week of on-campus work for those on the standard student via. You’d be quite lucky to make $20/hour at a campus job (more likely the minimum wage for that state), so that would give you an idea of much (or little) of the costs you could cover from work.

1 Like