How to be as competitive as possible for nursing school?

Hi everyone!
I was accepted as a Pre-Nursing major and I would like to be super competitive for entry into the nursing program. Besides getting A’s in pre-requisite courses, scoring high on the TEAS test and volunteering how else can I be competitive?

Thank you!
Cheyenne

It really depends on the program you are trying to get into. Some programs like to see CNA certification and work experience along side good grades, but other programs like mine place no value on them whatsoever. If you don’t mind me asking, what school are you going to?
I would look on their School of Nursing website and find all the admissions info you can. A lot of schools tell you what they look for in the application, but if the website doesn’t say much I would consider calling and asking specifically.

Doing volunteer or paid work in health care will be an important step. It also helps to show that you know what you are getting into.

My local community college offers CNA certification for a few week course for a few hundred dollars. That is not necessary, but it may prove helpful, and will make it easier to get a part time or summer job in health care before you get into the nursing program. I understand after the 3rd year of college, most employers treat nursing students as equivalent to a CNA, even though they don’t have the title.

They will MOSTLY look at your GPA, so I would say just keep that as high as possible :slight_smile: Other than that, volunteer in hospitals to get your foot in the door, or even pick up an internship. CNA certification might help, but I don’t think it’s worth it.

@santagirl @Charliesch Would volunteering at a Horse Pediatric Therapy Ranch be looked at the same way as volunteering at a hospital? My local hospitals are full regarding volunteers. I would be able to work with kids that have mental/muscular disabilities, and I feel like this would also be a good extracurricular/ way to give back to the community. Thanks!

You might also try volunteering at a physical rehab hospital or a nursing home.