How to Know if Nursing is Right for me?

<p>I majored in psychology and I graduated with my BS in December 2012. Long story short, since getting my degree, I had one job in a mental institute and it SUCKED. When I was in college, I realized that a Masters degree just wasn't for me, since I just wasn't that into the major anymore (higher level classes I took late junior and senior year really turned me off). I am currently unemployed and as you probably already know, my employment prospects are pathetic. I talked to several adults (career counselor, some friends' parents', and a few old professors) and a few of them said I should consider nursing. They said the employment prospects were good, the pay was $30/hour, male nurses are more desirable, and it would only take about 2 years for me to become an RN. All of this sounds great, but it is meaningless if it's not the right fit for me. What are some ways I can see if the major is a good fit for me? Job shadowing? Observing some nursing classes? I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>In addition to the ideas you stated (which make sense), you might also take training to be a certified nursing assistant at a community college. It is not a long period of training, and it can provide a source of part-time income while you are in school, and would make your application stronger. In my state, you can complete the training for $1000 and in a few weeks. You will quickly find out if you want to be in the field once you are working in a facility. Also, if you have not completed all of the pre-reqs for a RN program, you might take those classes now. That will put in a position to have your applications ready when they are due. (For many nursing programs, the earlier you apply, the better your chances)… You can always decide to not accept an offer of admission, and all you have lost is the application fees. </p>

<p>How similar is nursing to a CNA? I heard some vague descriptions of what CNAs do from other people and it honestly sounds like a terrible job (bad hours, bad pay, menial tasks). At the mental health institute, I was a mental health technician, which I hated. So I’m not sure that I would be interested in having a similar experience.</p>

<p>I’m not suggesting you make being a CNA into a career. I’m just saying it is one way to get some experience and earnings while you prepare yourself for nursing school and/or taking prerequisite classes, and also to help you get first hand knowledge of what RNs do on a daily basis. </p>

<p>One person told me that after a year of nursing classes, many facilities will hire a nursing student for the summer and treat them like a CNA even though they don’t have the certification. </p>

<p>(If you do an accelerated RN program, those programs are often year round.)</p>

<p>Hi @‌cthic513
~ volunteering work at your local hospital will give you some idea
~ signing up for the College’s Nursing School Info session
~ you can ask the nursing admin or staff at the info/tour about nursing , future job prospects etc etc.</p>

<p>You prob. have already done some research into the "Accelerated BSN " program.
It requires a lot of pre-req. classes before applying to the program. </p>

<p>CNA handles a lot of the basic duties that all nurses will need to know anyway. Many nursing students work part time as aid.
Think of it like this: my lawn care guy ( analogy,think of the Nurses ) know everything from landscaping to planting trees & also know how to trim the edge of the lawn( think CNA ) but he does not have to do any of these most basic duties. </p>

<p>My older D is planning on applying & she has to take a lot of these pre-req. classes & get them done before the Sept / Oct applications deadline. So take a quick look under the college’s Nursing website & see which classes you need.
Good Luck.</p>