Second Guessing

<p>I am going to be a senior in high school and I'm getting ready to be applying to colleges. I've wanted to be a nurse, and eventually an NP, for a few years now, for the following reasons: I love helping people, being an RN or even a NP requires much less schooling then a doctor and I want to focus more on patient care anyway, medicine and health interests me, good salary, and flexible hours/ shift work. </p>

<p>However, I am worried that it won't be a good fit for me, because I'm a leader and very independent, and I'm not sure how well I would do under the authority of doctors and older nurses. I am very outspoken and honestly I like to be in charge, which is why I would get my NP degree and work independently. I'm also worried about the actual work- although I would hopefully be working in an office doing psychiatry, pediatrics, or neonatal care, Clinicals will obviously be in other settings as well, including ER. I don't do very well with gore. I'm fine with blood, it's the visible bone/ intestines/ etc that bothers me.</p>

<p>I know I have time and I don't have to decide on a major, but the problem is that some colleges I am interested in don't have nursing programs. I don't want to walk away from a college that is a perfect fit for me because they don't have nursing, and then end up pursuing a different major. I don't think there are any opportunities to shadow a nurse at my age because I am not in a nursing program, and I don't have time to get my CNA due to AP classes and a part time job. </p>

<p>Any advice would be helpful- especially from current nurses or nursing majors who weren't 100% sure about nursing in the beginning. Thanks so much!!!</p>

<p>My sister is a RN who has a similar personality. It worked out fine for her because she worked the midnight shift in a hospital for many years, and was able to be her own boss. </p>

<p>After you get initial experience, many other alternative opportunities open up for a RN. My sister now does intake/referral work for the VA.</p>

<p>I don’t believe the NP should ever be considered just a quicker/easier way to practice medicine. NPs are advanced practice nurses. They are not just like doctors and depending on the state may be less desirable than PAs in many settings. (Other states/regions are just the opposite.) I would say a full 3/4 of every incoming nursing cohort at my uni come in with the goal of becoming an NP. Most never will, which is why I would tell any student, no matter how stellar her stats, please make sure you want to be a nurse first. </p>