How to pay for UM?

<p>I was so happy to find out that I was accepted to UM as a transfer.</p>

<p>However one of my main concerns is paying for tuition and other expenses. I currently attend a state school in New York and I can barely pay for that, most of my tuition is paid for by need based aid since I have an EFC of 0 and the rest is loans. </p>

<p>I still haven't received a financial aid award letter yet but I imagine I will probably get some Pell grant, maybe a few other grants and loans. I won't get any transfer scholarships since my GPA doesn't meet their requirements. </p>

<p>Give or take I will be paying 40k a year minus the aid. Will I have to borrow all this out in loans? Can I even borrow that much? One of my parents just lost their job and they recently spent all their savings. So financial support from them is out of the question. </p>

<p>I can take a part time job and work study. Are there any other ways for financial support in my situation? I always wanted to transfer to experience a true college experience and to be challenged academically but is it worth it to go through all this trouble to pay for my education for UM or should I just stick with my state school?</p>

<p>I am in your situation. It would take you years and years to pay back loans, especially if you take out 40k in one year. Despite it being my dream school, I have to think logically and determine if four years is worth that much money. I am going to end up at a state school unless they accept my offer of appeal and give me more money. Good luck and don’t worry, state schools are still good and will give you the same education.</p>

<p>Thanks its definitely going to be a tough decision. How did you file an offer of appeal?</p>

<p>Where else did you apply and why are you leaving SUNY?</p>

<p>Everyone has dream schools or schools they fall in love with. The idea is to be realistic and if cost is too high, go elsewhere. The debt and pressure you put on yourself will not be worth it upon graduation.</p>

<p>Professional Judgment Appeal -<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_forms/”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_forms/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My family has had many medical bills this past year and it wasn’t taken into account through the FAFSA. I’m hoping they throw in a little more money. Good luck!</p>

<p>Sell your soul to the devil</p>

<p>How very mature of you to make light of other student’s financial problems sportsguy. But, based on the content of most of your other posts here, I really shouldn’t be surprised.</p>