Howard University BS/MD Program 2015-2016

Hey nedcone where are you located because no one else got an acceptance or rejection yet. Are you closer to Washington.

For the record, I am located in Chicago.
I know one other in California who was accepted.

Initially, 10 people are accepted, so I am not certain what this means.

Did anyone else get the reply?

Hey Nedcone how do you know only ten people are accepted?

@Nedcone are bsmd students participating in the prefers jamb enrichment program?

What is the jamb enrichment program? @thelittlechica

Sorry @Nedcone autocorrect lol. I meant prefreshman summer enrichment program

@thelittlechica I wasn’t specifically informed to do that program by the Howard BS/MD. And I didn’t plan to so as it would take up my summer and seemed somewhat pointless if not everyone does it.

@Nedcone Hey do you mind posting your stats ? Does anyone know if they pay special attention to your junior year of high school?

@Futureobgyn1

I’ll one up that and just write a detailed explanation for posterity of the process that I wish I had had. Also because multiple people have asked me questions since I seem to be the only one who cares to post in here. Dates are listed to provide a timescale.

As a starter, I’ll provide my basic stats, though detailed lists can be found in various class of 2020 college threads.

6/288 , AP Scholar with distinction (12 APs), 4.6 weighted (Which means little, so by best estimates 3.88~3.92 unweighted GPA. Two B+ in Geometry freshman year, 1 C+ in Algebra II Honors Sophomore year 1st semester. More on this later). 34 ACT. 2040 SAT. Howard did not see my subject tests. Extracurricular wise is a major gap. I’ve never volunteered in a hospital, nor do I have any published research or really anything medically related as an activity. Beyond volunteering very sporadically at a nursing home. Under-served wise my track record is a tad better, as I do prepare meals for the homeless, and work politically to register lower-income voters.

The first step was applying for Howard University. The usual process, and I submitted by August 30th and was accepted by December 19th. Though this appears simple, I shall reinforce it. Apply early, as Howard is prone to slow and inefficient administration. One person I know of was unable to apply for this program because Howard accepted them later than the application deadline. Do what you can to avoid that.

At this point, I applied for the actual program itself. In truth, I did not spend much more than 1 hour drafting the essay, though this was because I had already thought about the subject of under-served in previous applications. Spoke with my Guidance Counselor who submitted the necessary documents by mail. Double checked with him. On March 8th I received the Presidential Scholarship from Howard. Received email confirmation from the Center for Preprofessional Education that my documents were complete around March 9th.

A waiting game commenced for being notified whether I was to interview or not. On April 15th I received a summons to interview on two selected dates. I selected May 13th. Other spots were opened up later due to AP testing, so look into whether they can create a more convenient date for you, as it was stressful flying in for one day in between AP testing days. I learned too late!

My interview was in the afternoon. Here comes the first nugget of advice, arrive about 30 minutes earlier. Once you check in, which doesn’t take long, you’re given an essay to write. There was no information about this anywhere, so I was caught off guard. Though the prompt was not difficult. My memory has faded, but it related to how one, in the future, would act as a doctor to come up with solutions and what they would be. Something along those lines. I started the essay around 10 minutes before my interview, and then was called for by one person. Some may say I ought to have seen the next section coming, given it being a medical school interview, but keep in mind this program has so little information available. Anyways, I am lead into a room expecting a one on one interview and am instead met with four tenured professors/doctors awaiting me. The horror! Or not really. One male, three females. Don’t remember their names, but head of Biology department, et cetera.

They had folders and multiple papers within them, presumably containing my information. Following pleasantries, one of them pulled out what I believe was my transcript, and started off asking how I could explain the C+. So beware, your past can and will be used against you. Though I suppose they were looking for maturity.

I’ll repost the other questions.
What I wanted to specialize in and why that interested me, who and how my best friend was, what traits I would tell them to convince them to let me in, what I would do if I got a D on a Calculus II test, what other colleges I applied to (and what other programs similar to bs/md I did), whether I would still attend Howard if I didn’t get in and why, about me in general (family, siblings, culture), what a character flaw of mine was, what doctors do I look up to, how I work in groups, what is important to be a doctor.

Oddly enough, they never asked me “Why B.S./M.D.”, which seems a tad crucial. But I digress. The entire interview may have taken 40 minutes. It ended with them asking if I had any questions for them, which lasted a few minutes or so.

As may be known, my acceptance letter was postmarked May 17th, and received May 21st. I then confirmed my participation. I’m in contact with one other who was accepted on the West Coast, but that’s it so far. Hopefully more pop up in the coming weeks.

@Nedcone thank you so much for providing this information, it’s so hard to find information on this program. Do you think now since you’ve been in the program that it’s worth it ? And is it true that they want their students to specialize in primary care?

@Futureobgyn1 You’re welcome! You may have mistaken the timescale, I haven’t been in this program for long, I just got accepted a few weeks ago. That information is all from this year. I haven’t even had one session with them!

However, I do feel it is worth it. I wouldn’t be going to Howard over Columbia or Northwestern (though Howard is a good school in its own right) without it. I’m on full scholarship, meaning a good percentage of Med School is already paid off. I also save two years of life, and get to live in the Nation’s capital for 6 years. Being a doctor with disposable income sounds fun.

From what I have heard they lean towards primary care and doctors serving the under-served, but do not force it upon anyone.

@Nedcone I would kill to be in your position next year :)) I just wish they would change the timeline so that people knew of acceptance before May 1st. I guess they just want to make sure people are truly dedicated to the school itself and not just the program.

@Nedcone
Ohhh I didn’t realize that you’re going in in August ,but do you have any idea of what your curriculum is going to be like? I’m hs CO 2018 and just talking to you is making me really excited about getting into this program

@ZBlue17 Yeah it would appear so, it is a major relief to have gotten in. And yes, perhaps that’s why they asked regarding dedication to Howard.

@Futureobgyn1 Ahh not exactly. I’m told it is similar to a fast track Biology major. However, one of the requirements is to complete all electives for a major other than Biology. As such, I’m a tad confused right now.
If I’m still around in August I could give an update.

@Nedcone
Ohh okayy yes please let me know when you find out, thank you so much

Hello @Nedcone
You seem to be well versed in this school.
I really want to get into this program.
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what else I need in order to get accepted.

I’m currently a junior.
Academically:
I’m valedictorian and have a 5.0 GPA, but this will go up when I take the classes I have for senior year.
I’ll be taking AP bio, chem, physics and economics. I will also take 10 dual enrollment classes (with the University of Florida and Broward College). I took 2 classes with Florida Atlantic University.
I will have an Associates in Arts and an Associates in Science in Criminal Justice before I graduate high school (I contacted Howard and they said these degrees will not affect my placement until after I am accepted).
I got a 1310 on the New SAT, but I am working to get something around a 1500-1600.
I did not do so well on the ACT because I was sick (I got a 28 but I am retaking it soon).

Leadership:
I am in Junior ROTC and I am the Battalion Commander, which is the highest position in a program. I am going to try for Cadet of the Year, which is the top cadet in the County.
I am the Robotics Team Captain, JLAB Commander, a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success. I was suppose to be in NHS but one of my teachers never submitted my LOR. I will do this next year, however for sure. I will also be on the Drill Team.
A few months ago, I received the Harvard book. I also received Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman SHultz’s"Leave Her Mark" Award, which is a congressional leadership award.

Other Extra Curricular:
I volunteer at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and I will have 1,000 hours from there. I have volunteered in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Oncology/Hematology and now I currently volunteer at Medical/Surgical.
I will also play lacrosse.

Other than better test scores, what do you think my chances are? Do you have any other advice for me?

Thank You!

@haleema I’m not very well versed in truth, I just kept all the data I collected from the internet and personal experience haha.

First of, congratulations at your achievements. I’m sitting here quite stunned. That triple threat of AP sciences. You’ll obviously have great success with other universities, including Howard.

Now then, as for Howard’s BS/MD, if you choose it, I feel you would have a better chance than I did at getting in haha. If you read my account I had no extracurriculars that related to Medicine at all, not to mention I wasn’t valedictorian or all the various accolades you had.

As for specifics, you mentioned test scores, but I feel that it doesn’t play that large of a role once one is in the range. During the interview, the professors seemed not to care regarding my test scores beyond how many times I took each test.
However, indirectly for the program you really want to be in the 32+ range to receive a full scholarship, which would apply for half of Med school and be a huge boon. The only real advice I can give you was laid out in my account on the last page, apply as early as possible, start thinking about how you have worked for the underserved/what you would do for the essay, and perhaps get interview experience in as you will be speaking with multiple people.

I hope that was helpful, or, at the very least, reassured what you may have already guessed. Best of luck!

@Nedcone
Thank You!

I intended to post this awhile ago and forgot! My D’s friend visited over a weekend and completed year one (I think…it is 2 years, correct?) of the program.My 10th grade son has some thoughts on medical school and asked her a million questions. She was here to decompress, but was kind enough to give him some highlights. Here is what stood out to me:
You overload classes during your undergrad time. They do not use your high school AP courses. You have to take the sciences at HU. After year one you stay at HU for the summer and take science (Orgo or Biochem or something hard). You cannot take it at home. She said it was really important to understand that your scholarship (she has Presidential) does not cover that. She’s paying several thousand for the classes, room and board there at HU for the summer. She was sure she wanted MD so it was worth the very heavy work load. She also makes time to enjoy HU. But books first as not everyone makes it to MD in the program after 2 years. Grades or low MCATs can have you staying in undergrad. That is not horrible as you generally will get into HU med after year 4. Some choose to not go to HU med after 2 years because they want a fuller college experience (study abroad, greek life, etc.) or decide they want to wait and apply to other med schools. But almost all go on to HU med and the groups are close. Mainly she told him to get good grades in high school and show some maturity (she suggested he compete his Eagle Scout, stick with his sport with Team Capt. in mind). She also told him a high ACT/SAT is a must as they need to feel confident in your test taking and that you can hit the MCAT they will require just 2 years into college. Finally, BSMD kids are diverse and bright, but most don’t brag to other students at HU about the program (that does not help the stress other pre-meds feel off the bat). Most turned down top schools for it. She loves HU and told him to consider going to HU whether he gets the program or not.

I told her about this board but they are tired and busy at school. Still, hopefully someone will check in. Good luck to you @Nedcone as it sounds like a very, very good opportunity.

She said some other things but I don’t remember them all.