Hurricanes

<p>I'm literally talking about hurricanes, not the mascot. lol! How does the University of Miami handle hurricane season? What happens during an actual hurricane? I've never experienced a hurricane in my life and I'm curious as to how it is handled.</p>

<p>My son's first year, UM experienced Katrina, Rita and Wilma in quick succession. When a hurricane approaches, classes are cancelled (usually a day or 2 before and after) and kids are "locked down" in the dorms. Boxed meals are brought in to the students and nobody is allowed to leave. The dorm windows all have hurricane shutters that get locked to prevent window blowouts. The kids say it is like a giant party although by the third one, it was getting kind of old and S got a flight out to come home for Wilma. UM does not release the kids until they feel the campus is secure and any dangerous debris is cleared. It is a good idea for all students to keep flashlights, batteries, water and nonperishable snacks on hand. The school also runs an emergency website that they keep updated, so students and parents know what is going on. We always felt our S was well cared for.</p>

<p>Check this out. Emergency</a> Preparedness | University of Miami</p>

<p>Thank you so much!!</p>

<p>hurricanes aren't too big of a deal, only cat 3 or higher are worth worrying about. I've lived in south florida my whole life. You'll have a legitimate hurricane about once every 4 years or so. The school takes very precautious measures, you will be fine, I promise</p>

<p>The Hurricanes are predictable so they seem to have things in place before the storm hits. Alerts and updates are frequent.</p>

<p>(I went to school in the midwest and had my first experience with tornados there. Pretty frightening, though the midwesterners were not scared at all. Huddled into basements in building with pipes, etc to keep us safe.)</p>

<p>crazed-My youngest is a freshman at the University of Kansas and we are bracing for his first tornado season. I think the suddenness and unpredictability of tornadoes is much more frightening, with hurricanes you have time to prepare/evacuate.</p>

<p>Miami-Dade County is the most prepared county in the entire United States for inclement tropical weather. After Hurricane Andrew in 1992, the county was transformed from its insurance policy to its building codes and physical infrastructure. The most amazing manifestation of this reality was in 2005 when Katrina and Wilma hit. Miami-Dade County stood relatively unscathed and life was returned to normal promptly. On the other hand, Broward County just to the north which never experienced Hurricane Andrew, freaked out. Of course we from the "305" laughed because we were totally unfazed. Do not worry about this county and its hurricane preparedness. For Pete's sake, the National Hurricane Center is blocks away on the FIU campus. I agree with my-3-sons in that tornadoes are much worse. The problem for many though is that hurricanes spawn tornadoes; one of which destroyed my uncle's home during Andrew.</p>

<p>Wilma came across the state west-to-east north of Miami Dade. Fortunately the building codes are exactly the same for both counties.</p>

<p>I think the students will be safe in almost any storm.</p>